Wade Phillips to coach at the East-West Shrine game

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Lucky, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Though he's taken the job as the new defensive coordinator for the Texans, Wade Phillips will honor his commitment to the Shrine game and coach the West squad on January 22nd.

I think this is a good thing, as it will allow Phillips to get some hands-on evaluation of some mid-late round defensive prospects. On the West roster, some of the higher rated defensive players include:

Dontay Moch - OLB - Nevada - Undersized DE who projects as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Had an astounding 71 career TFL.

Jeron Johnson - FS - Boise State - 4 year starter and the Broncos leading tackler for the past 3 seasons. Played SS at Boise, but projects to FS in the NFL.

Korey Lindsey - CB - Southern Illinois - Two time FCS All American who totaled 14 career interceptions.

Ian Williams - NT - Notre Dame - 3 year starter for a much improved Fighting Irish defense. A true NT.

Chris Carter - OLB - Fresno State - Played both DE and OLB for the Bulldogs, picking up 11 sacks in his senior season. Projects to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

The last Texans staff to coach an all star game was in Capers & crew in the 2003 Senior Bowl. The Texans drafted 3 players out of that game (Joppru, Wand, and Domanick Davis). Don't be surprised if Phillips and the Texans fall in love with some of these players he's coaching up in the Shrine game.

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I agree with you, maybe two or three of those guys you named could become Texans. :)

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

That list ..... :Caperspalm:

4. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

to be fair, Joppru's body asploding on him for three years straight was totally unexpected, and Davis getting his Brandon Roy on before Brandon Roy ever did was more on the coaches.

Wand was a whiff through yeah.

5. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I agree. Joppru was totally unpredictable, and no one can deny that when DD/DW was able to play he was great.

6. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Joppru was unlucky. Can't faulot Capers there.

DD was a 3rd down back who became our primary RB and surpassed all expectations. A good pick if you ask me.

Wand...Yeah. That was awful.

7. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    This can only be a good thing.

This team needs to get serious about finding an answer at DT and safety. I've said a few times before and will probably say again, the point of 3/4 Defense is having 4 good linebackers. Ryans off an achilles injury and Cushing off the OJ is pretty much like having 4 good linebackers. Oh and Barwin becoming what he should've been in the first place off a broken ankle himself. Grand. And no DT. And no FS. Oh and how about the "situation" at corner?

We don't need Wade Phillips. We need Jesus Christ.

8. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

You think they'll be watching Ian Williams closely????

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think that Cameron Jordan is another player they will look closely at.

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

This Dontay Moch out of Nevada is one of the more highly hyped defensive players in this draft, and I'm seeing a lot of analysts say he's a classic -
    that is a classic workout warrior who is a total zero in the department of football instincts. Me ? I have no idea, so he's one guy I'm gonna be watching closely.

11. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Moch is one of those guys that put up great numbers in college, but some scouts are concerned that he won't do the same in the NFL.

He played in the WAC and went up against probably zero future NFL linemen. I've read in some places that he might run in the 4.3s at the combine.

I haven't really scouted him personally. The only game of his I watched was against Boise St. He got an assist on a sack, but that is really all he did the whole game. He seems entirely dependent on beating the OT to the edge. And if he doesn't then the play is over for him.

I've only seen him once though.

12. Section516

Section516 Warrior

Marvin Austin is in the E/W Shrine game, but i believe he projects to a 4/3 DT more so than a 3/4 DT? Or could he be a Ratliff Candidate?

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

14. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

That sounds about right from what I have seen on him. If he cant beat the OL with speed to the outside, he cant get to the QB. He has no instincts whatsoever against the run, and I shudder to think about him in pass coverage. Still, his physical attributes are worth drafting in the middle rounds. Unfortunately, someone will fall in love with the measurables and take him well before then.

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Moch was very productive in college as a DE. But, he measured at 6'1" 229 lbs at the Shrine game. And that's undersized for even a 3-4 OLB. Size will be the biggest knock on Moch come draft day.

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Not LB but strong-safety size, right ? And look for Von Miller to come in at the same kind of weight/dimensions when he reports for the Senior Bowl next week and the Indy Combine next month.

17. Blake

Blake MMQB

No doubt. Wade will pick at least one guy from this game that he MUST have. Whether it be Moch, Winterswyk or one of the DT's.

Also I do not see Ian Williams listed on the roster. I think he is playing the senior bowl.

18. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

19. Blake

Blake MMQB

They spoke with Van Dyke to get the scoop on Brandon Harris.

They spoke with Carter to poke fun at his school for having Carr as their QB.

20. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Thanks S-M, your insight is invaluable to all of us I'm sure.