Wade Phillips Assuming Prominent Role in Assembling Texans' Defense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Feb 25, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Wade Phillips Assuming Prominent Role in Assembling Texans' Defense
    By John Oehser

INDIANAPOLIS -- Rick Smith didn't shy away from the issue.

Smith, the general manager of the Houston Texans, spoke to the media at the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine, and though the event is in a very real sense the start of the coming season, Smith also addressed the season just past.

And for the Texans, that wasn't the most pleasant of seasons.

After beginning the season with high hopes, and a victory over the Indianapolis Colts, the Texans slipped to a position all-too familiar in the franchise's nine seasons -- a sub .500 record far from the postseason.

Discussing the season, Smith used the word, "frustrating." And he used it quickly.

"That was the frustrating thing about this season -- we'd been working hard these last few years, and we really felt like we had the opportunity to have some success," Smith said.

Instead, the Texans after a 4-2 start, lost eight of their final 10 games, with a struggling defense and an inability to hold late leads turning a season of promise into a ninth consecutive season without a playoff appearance.

Smith said the season was particularly disappointing considering the Texans finished the previous season 9-7 -- the first winning record in franchise history.

"We really felt like we were poised to have some success," Smith said. "Obviously, we fell short."

The Texans moved quickly in the offseason to address the defense, hiring former Dallas Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator. He is in the process of switching the defense from a 4-3 scheme to a 3-4, and Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Phillips will have a prominent voice in the acquisition of defensive personnel.

"I think that is a huge strength of his, so we'll be leaning on him big-time," Kubiak said. "That's what we brought him for. We're going to listen to him and get this defensive football team turned around."

Smith said the Texans' scouts met in Mobile, Ala., at the Senior Bowl to become familiar with scouting 3-4 players.

"We've really opened ourselves up to some potential options that were not there before," Smith said. "We've opened ourselves up to some guys players we otherwise wouldn't have looked at."

Smith said while the Texans will remain focused on the draft, he said they also will be aggressive in free agency -- if and when there is a free-agency period this offseason.

"We look to every avenue to improve," Smith said. "We have a pretty good idea of where we're going to address things in the off-season."

While neither Smith nor Kubiak said specifically the Texans will emphasize defense on the first day of the draft, Kubiak said, "You and I both know we had big problems on that side of the ball last year. We made a big commitment to come in and get our defensive football team going very quickly.

"We'll have to evaluate the draft. That won't change, but obviously that's a big part of our football team that needs (to be) corrected."

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/25/gary-kubiak-wade-phillips-to-play-prominent-role-in-assembling/

2. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

If daughter Tracy comes to town..... I'm all in!!!!

[​IMG]

4. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Never happen. Not a knock on Aso but I can't fault the FO for not doing that deal. I see the FO staying their coarse regarding older players and not tying that much up in one guy.

5. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Srrono, good read, thanks for finding and posting that, it gives a little hope. It's pretty obvious that Kubiak doesn't know anything about the defensive side of the ball and neither did the idiots that he hired as DC. Now that we have a legitimate DC hopefully they follow through with what they say. This article gives the impression that this could be an all defense draft like many have speculated.

I can't see the Texans going after Aso, to old and way to expensive. I'm hoping for Jonathan Joseph, younger and very good.

6. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I hope he takes a look at Ray Edwards for LOLB. He'd be pricey but worth it.

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

good read

however, I wonder what the definition of "agressive" is .. melting of the ice caps is pretty aggressive in the right scope throughout time.

(not saying they want to be the next redskins and sign everybody and their dog)

maybe I am losing patience

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

"Wade Phillips Assuming Prominent Role in Assembling Texans' Defense"

Well, he's the Defensive Coordinator. If he wasn't assuming a prominent role in assembling the Texans defense I guess he'd be...... Richard Smith? Frank Bush? On second thought maybe a Texans DC actually getting involved in putting together the Texans defense is a more novel concept than it sounds.

Still, nice to see Rick Smith work his shiny 9-7 record (Best in Texans history) into the conversation early on. It's never too soon to hide behind the one year you didn't entirely suck.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Let's see.

Suan Rogers is a FA... nary a look.
    Atogwe is a FA.... no looksee.
    Bob Sanders is a FA... nada

Inigo (in a heavy Spanish accent): You keepa use'n athat werd.... I do-nah think it meanz awhat you athink it meanz....

10. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

I started the Wake up call thread about rogers sanders and atowge not being brought in for a look.
    I can come up with reasons for not looking at them such as
    rogers - too old
    sanders - injury prone
    atowge - waiting for the market to set a price
    which all could be good reasons except for the fact that the Texans fan base wants results.

Reasons to bring them in for a work out and conversation
    rogers - When healthly he one of the best DT out there. 2 year deal in home town could be doable never know till you sit and talk with him.

sanders - yes injury prone but a highly incentive based contract with a team that plays the team that cut him 2 times a year may intrest him.

atowge - he is a elite fs something the texans have never had worth a work out and conversation.

At the very least with all texan fans eyes on the front office they should be brought in as window dressing. Make the fans atleast think your trying to improve this team.

11. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

I agree to bringing them in to excite fans, but at the same time doing that and NOT signing them would just make fans start yelling that we were being cheap and not offering enough.

12. GP

GP Go Texans!

The most important part of that whole story:

8 out of the final 10 games.

Folks, you have to be pretty special to only win 2 games out of 10. We've got something special going on here. I'm hoping for 9-7 in 2011. A 3-game improvement would be epic.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

But,But, Wade says there's enough talent already on board for this defense to be much improved.

After finishing 2-8 we dont need to make any traumatic changes to the football side of the organization. LOL

BoB, keep on giving your fan base the good ole boy routine. Maybe one day your team will get lucky and make the playoffs. I wouldn't count on making the playoffs for atleast 3 yrs.

Spin it BoB spin it. The cash cow is alive and well.

Would 9-7 and missing the playoff be good enough to keep Gary and Rick around another yr? Probaly not for you and me. But BoB doesn't care about his fanbase. It will be enough to keep Gary and Rick around another yr. Then BoB will be selling how much improved his team was in 2011. It's a visciuos circle that can only be stooped by the fanbase turning against BoB.

I dont see the GREAT FANS of the Houston Texans ever turning against Bob. I mean half of this MB are happy just to have a team and dont mind lining BoB's pockets with cash. Regardless of the poor product BoB's put on the field for almost a decade and counting now.

Porky likes this.
  14. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

You missed one.:kitten:

:coffee:

Double Barrel likes this.
  15. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I have a theory about that "9-7 record (Best in Texans history)": the
    Texans may have played no worse last year than they did in 2009 even though they only won 6 games - the 2010 schedule could have very easily been 3 games more difficult than that relatively easy 2009 schedule.

16. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

While that's always a possibility I think that the defense turning every game into a shoot out is what repeatedly killed the team. The inconsistency in play from quarter to quarter from the offense never helped, but honestly when you are ranked 31 out of 32 team in terms of defense I can't see how you can even be above .500.

Of course I'm sure something else will happen next year that will cause us to miss the playoffs.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I have been, and still am, very pleased with the team Kubiak has put together. I like how he was able to keep them on the same page & keep the locker room together.

His problem is game management, building on momentum & slowing the tide.

Let me be clear, I don't think Kubiak should still be the head coach of the Houston Texans.

But I believe this team can make a big jump in 2011 (if there is a 2011) & I think that is what BoB is shooting for.

18. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

I think the best thing for the texans is a lockout a ten game season so a 6-4 season might get a wc spot lol

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Hope you're right.

Isn't this the same thing you said last yr?

It will probably be the same thing you say next yr.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

lol