VY worked out and nobody cares?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Nighthawk, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

This is the triumph of the small-minded. I'm stunned. This board has gone dead.

Yeah, I know it's unlikely we'll make the smart move and take Young, or better yet, trade down and still take Young, but for his workout here not to cause the slightest stir is thought prokoking.

Maybe it's just as well. Bush will be fine, or, if we're lucky, somebody else will want Bush enough to make a decent offer for him (and I think we'd trade the #1 for anything approaching a decent offer).

Right now Bush is the greatest college football player who ever played the game who nobody in the NFL really wants! Crazy!

2. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I am pro bush, but I was surprised there wasn't that much discussion on here as well.:confused:

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Once again, I'll ask the question that I have asked on here so many times and never gotten a response to...If we were going to draft a QB, why would we draft Vince Young when he is not even the top rated QB in this draft?

4. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

weren't you listening to reggie? whats the point in fans discussing it when they know we're not taking him...

5. Riley

Riley Rookie

Actually, according to many of the draft experts VY is the top QB in the draft. ML has fallen.

6. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

i live in florida and ahve gotten zero information about it...im dying of curiousity

7. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I too am shocked at the lack of discussion. I must have missed the white flags.

8. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

The Texans had VY in today for 1 of 2 reasons:

1. Out of obligation to all the VY fans - because if they didn't at least have him work out, there would always be smack talk.

2. Because they are actually considering him - and extended Carr's contract to help tutor him along.

I think we all know that it's 95-99% that the Texans will draft Bush. Sorry, no trade down. How many picks would it take to equal with Bush brings to the table. A running back with explosive and elusive speed. A reciever who can catch the ball who is explosive and has elusive speed. A kick returner who is explosive and has elusive speed. By all accounts, that may be equivalent to at least 2 high first round picks and maybe a high second round pick... this year. Hmmm... not one team has that to offer.

For those who think it will be a big mistake to pass on VY. It would be a bigger mistake to pass on Reggie Bush - the Texans know that.

9. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

A. Leinart doesn't have decent mobility, which Kubiak's O demands. He would be a step back from Carr in this regard.
    B. He gets a lot of pub because he's safe... i've never heard anybody talk of tremendous upside. He'll be good quickly but not necessarily great. He's not the prospect Palmer was.
    C. Carr is servicable, but a truly dynamic QB like Young makes you think twice... just like the Bush/DD situation. Imagine if people thought Deangelo Williams was the top rated back (he was for a while), would you take him instead of a guy with better upside/playmaking ability and diverse talents.
    D. Marketing matters. The biggest gaffe from a PR/marketing standpoint would be to pass on two unseen talents, a local hero at the same position and an exciting guy like Bush, for a pocket passer.
    E. Top rated by national consensus doesn't necessarily mean the best thing for this team, staff, or town.

10. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

Just as local consensus doesn't necessarily mean the best thing for this team, staff, or town...

11. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

true, but in this case, it does

12. El Amigo Invisible

El Amigo Invisible All Pro

Does anyone know if David was around? How is he taking it?

13. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

What's interesting is that even the Chronicle is relatively subdued about the VY visit, too...

Of course, Rich Lord makes up for it all...

14. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Did Rich Lord ask Vince about Reggie?

15. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

Matt is good he is a safe pick but for our style of football he would be no bueno. matt is just the most NFL ready QB now but he's upside is no were near what VY is and that has nothing to do that VY is from houston.
    the only time i saw Matt Leinart VS Vince Young they both had great games VY just proved he wanted it more. by me saying this doesnt mean i want VY i want what is best for the team.:stirpot:

16. Mailman04

Mailman04 Veteran

Good, no use to waste the top pick in the draft on Vince Young.

17. MasterC25

MasterC25 Rookie

Every team in the league knows that in order to get Bush then they would have to surrender this draft and maybe all of next years pick to the Texans. So everybody is just surrendering the idea that Bush will be a Texans. Nobody tried to trade up to Houston or Chicago when they both got Hakeem and Jordan in the 86 NBA Draft.

18. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

What does that mean? Whose responsibility is it to discuss Young's visit? Are the ones who can't enough of Vince and don't discuss him now the small minded ones, or the ones who aren't interested in Vince required to discuss him?

19. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

not only that, i dont know how it freaking went...anybody got some info?

20. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

I believe their are a lot of NFL types who think Cutler might be the best of the QB's. I think its in the eyes of the beholder and their is no clear cut best. That in facts helps Bush, because he is the best of his lot. This is why Bush probably is a safer choice to many. Each of the 3 QB's have their weaknesses and strengths. There are no guarnatees not even Bush and I favor Bush at this point over others.