VY starting Sunday vs. the Cowboys

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by nunusguy, Sep 30, 2006.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Rookie quarterback Vince Young will make his first NFL start for the Tennessee Titans on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys"
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2608713
    I figured it would be maybe years before Vince gets his first start in the NFL.
    Shows what I know, which is basically squat.
    Good LUCK Vince in your first start in the bigtime.

2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I hope Vince does well but I think the Titans are crazy to start him against Dallas . I guess the Titans need to fill the bleachers .

3. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

I was geting ready to post the same thing. Guess Bud is giddy to start him early and not have VY watch the vet from the sideline. (I think they did it better when Steve McNair came into the league.) We'll see if he enjoys starting a rook QB behind a "not so decent" o-line.

4. The Dream

The Dream Hall of Fame

YES!!! :bananasplit:

Good luck to Vince.

5. TNTitan

TNTitan Veteran

dont get us confused. our season ticket holders come to our games :cowboy1:

6. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Probably nothin better to do .

7. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Media outlets have been sitting on this story for days. They all posted the report at exactly 5:00 CDT today.

I anticipated this because Fisher was acting pretty fishy all week after announcing Collins as the starter on Monday.

The Titans aren't going to win anything with Collins, so they might as well begin their future now. It's the right move. The Titans players and fans must be so pumped this weekend.

As a Texans fan, I really don't like that he's going to get to start a few games before the Titans play the Texans. Especially if our defense doesn't improve by then.

8. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

The Titans were never going to need to sit VY as long as they sat McNair. He didn't play for Alcorn State or the like.

9. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Bud badly wonts to use VY to defeat the Texans when they meet. He needs him to have game experience before doing that. This is nothing but a training regimat to get VY ready for the meeting in Houston. Looks like he has written off the season and only really wants one win.

10. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

It definitely makes sense. They aren't going to beat the Cowboys or the Colts, so why not get the rookie more comfortable by the time the Texans game rolls around.

This is exactly why I was dreading Vince coming out early. I just knew Bud would jump at the chance to use him to taunt us and to keep Titans fandom alive in Houston.

11. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Agreed. After this game he will be known as VINTs Young. :tease:

12. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I was under the impression that the Titans had a few injured OLinemen out for this game. Doesn't make sense to me to start a rookie QB behind a line with a few of the regular starters out for his first start, but then again maybe they figure his mobility will serve them better than Collins lack of it. I wish him luck.

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Sounds nice, huh?

14. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

Good luck to Vince, I think he's going to be a good player. Should be interesting to see the effects he has relative to Collins on the Titans offense.

15. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I can tell you this much: the players believe in him.

Both Keith Bulluck and Bennett have called him to start. he will bring at least some morale to the team

16. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Please don't flame me for this, I'm really just curiouis and hoping to incite a discussion.

What has been the effect of having Williams on the team thus far? Have players spoken for him or about him? I know TJ defended his poor play last week, but other than that what have we heard? (I really don't know, I don't mean this in a pointed way).

I know that in Bush's case, the NO team was really excited to get him. Breese, McCallister, and Horn all came out publically talkling about how excited they were. Horn even has a nickname for him. This excitement spread, and the team seems to be playing a little more inspired. Even though he hasn't done anything remarkable on the field, is his presence at least a temporary catalyst?

In VYs case, I think his presence is a definite bonus. Bullucks came out and said he wanted Vy to start this weekend. Bennett has said he thinks VY is going to be a superstar and can't wait for him to lead the team. I feel like his leadership and confidence is spreading, and despite how he performs, should give at least a temporary boost to the team.

I think its a tough comparison because offensive players get all the glory and are usually the team leaders (except ray lewis). That being said, does anyone have any evidence to show that the team was excited with Williams or at least energized defensively? We haven't really played like it, but maybe its still on its way. I bet once he gets his first sack, the rest of the team will be relieved and play better.

17. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Defensive Leaders
    RNK NAME YDS YPG RUSH RUSH YPG PASS PASS YPG PTS PTS/G
    1 San Diego 347 173.5 142 71.0 205 102.5 7 3.5
    2 Baltimore 592 197.3 103 34.3 489 163.0 20 6.7
    3 Jacksonville 748 249.3 177 59.0 571 190.3 38 12.7
    4 Chicago 798 266.0 246 82.0 552 184.0 23 7.7
    5 New Orleans 800 266.7 265 88.3 535 178.3 44 14.7
    6 Dallas 552 276.0 171 85.5 381 190.5 34 17.0

Good Luck Bud Adams.

18. HowBoutThemCowboys!

HowBoutThemCowboys! All Pro

The Big D in Dallas are going to make mince meat out of Vince.. Fresh off a bye-week, PO'ed about the media's shelling of disrespect for their fellow teammate.. he's going to look like a deer in headlights.

Shame in not starting Collins for the Titans. The guy is krytonite for the Cowboys-- see Raider game of last season.

bigcarlos likes this.
  19. Titan "Tack" Fan

Titan "Tack" Fan Hall of Fame

The Vince Young era has officially begun. About time....

I am pleased with you guys' reactions. Most of you seem to support Vince, which is good. I mean come on, how great would it be to see UT's savior beat the Cowgirls in his first NFL start???!

20. MrMeToo

MrMeToo All Pro

I can't wait to see what Vince can do.Hope he does well.