VY Speculation: Based on McNair interview

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by LBC_Justin, Jan 26, 2006.

1. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

Ok let me post this again. This is my speculation.
    Based on the Interview with McNair, Vince Young is the least likely option in the draft. So don't count on the Texans drafting Vince Young.

If you heard the interview there is NO DOUBT.

1. He LOVES David Carr. Thinks he is an amazing talent. No doubt they aren't going to keep him.

2. He made the point that I and others have mentioned on these forums. And that is...If nothing else the playoffs showed us that just about EVERY single Probowl QB looked like a total chump when their team couldn't protect them. Peyton didn't look good under pressure, Brady didn't look good under pressure.That is the reality of football. If the QB isn't protected, he WILL look bad.

3. He wants to win right away. That means no Vince.

4. He certainly is willing to trade down if the deal is right. (of course the "right deal" might be a HUGE asking price.

anyone else who heard it feel free to add.

2. chall8

chall8 Rookie

I heard most of it and would have to agree that VY, at least at THIS point, seems unlikely. We do still have 3 months to go and a lot can change. But I doubt it will in regards to Vince.

I was encouraged to hear that they're willing to trade the pick as I think this is the best route for this team.

3. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

The only way he could express any more enthusiam toward David Carr would be to say he was going to adopt him.

Basically, though he said nice things about VY, he said it is not a question of just what player you want, but rather how someone fits into the team and under the salary cap with the players you already have.

I do think it is important that if you are keeping Carr that you need to work on his confidence, but that being said, the Texans have a hard tight rope to walk here.

1. They should give confidence in their current players because it is likely that most are coming back.

2. They need to reduce the expectation of the excited fans of getting VY in Houston.

3. They need to keep quiet as to who they are gonna pick, otherwise, teams will mostly deal with New Orleans and it decreases the value of the #1 pick. I am guessing they are not putting a high priority on this third thing.

Of course, McNair loving Carr is not a newsflash. This is just the first time it has been quite so obvious in a post-announcing for the draft news conference.

4. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

I agree with the above comments as well. I am not convinced that we are going to get as many trade offers as the number 2 and 3 picks - especially with Cutler rising in stock as a qb. Nobody in the league is going to trade with us to pick up VY - so that would leave Leinart and Bush as the two targeted players with our pick. That being said, I don't see anyone that has a high enough first round pick that will make that deal - but stranger things have happened...

5. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Oh, forgot to add what McNair said about the offense. Majorly paraphrasing......

He said that 4 yards and a cloud of dust you have to be patient for and have to execute perfectly to succeed because a play or two can derail your offense. That he is looking for the offense to be more exciting and downfield and that the offense won't get ultra conservative just because we are ahead.

So in other words, I am guessing we are not going to hear a lot of "we're just trying to get to the 4th quarter to have a chance to win" stuff.

6. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Edit: Nevermind.

7. Caesar

Caesar Veteran

Like there was ever any doubt.

8. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou060126_gj_mcnaironcarr.3ffcf023.html

9. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

He also said he loves DD and would have taken him in Denver if we didn't take him first. Does that mean that there is a 1% chance that we take Bush?

If not, how do you draw that conclusion from the same statement about Carr? Just saying, nothing is definite yet.

10. SteelBlueToro

SteelBlueToro Veteran

Kubes said he's a "David Carr fan" and wants to develop him... that leads me to think it ain't gonna be VY.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Running back by committee is not unusual in the NFL, with a prime example being Denver. QBBC on the other hand doesn't happen. Whether you agree with the decision or not, the only way you could listen to Kubiak and McNair and conclude their intention is anything other than Carr QB'ing the Texans is be listening to predetermined voices in your own head rather than Kubiak and McNair.

12. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

Really?:rolleyes:

Please refer to the "Kubes on PTI thread" and hear his own words about what he meant.:brickwall

13. infantrycak

Keep banging your head buddy (maybe you can knock some sense or objectivity into your cyber head), because I did see the PTI interview and you and others are vastly overstating it. He went straight from saying don't take anything from what I am saying (i.e. I am not going to let you back door your way into an answer to the question I just refused to answer--who are the Texans going to draft) to repeating what he has said 50 times now--Carr can be a top 10 QB and his job is to get him there. I don't care where you are on VY, Bush, Carr or where the stock market is going, the writing is on the wall that Carr is the QB.

14. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

So, I'm reading too much into it...yet you can read the "writing on the wall that Carr is the QB" Classic contradiction!:challenge

Obviously you didn't LISTEN when they asked Kubes if they should read the writing on the wall (i.e. he likes Carr) to mean that Carr will be the QB. Kubes said "No, it's too early to tell...they are seperate issues...still a lot of evaluating to do." Carr may be the QB, VY may be the QB....you don't know what their final decision will be any more so than I do. In fact Kubes made it sound like they haven't even made that decision themselves as of yet.:ok:

15. Mario Williams

Mario Williams Rookie

I will laugh at your faces when we don't pick Vince Young.

I favor trading down.

Draft day, why can't you come any sooner?

16. infantrycak

If it helps you sleep at night, you just keep on thinking that.

17. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

I still think we can get a great deal and trade the pick. If Kubiak can turn the corner with the offense and we can pick up a playmaker like Hawk to help turn the defense around, and pick up other high picks to fill our massive holes we can get back to 7-9 next year. Then the playoffs in 07.

18. Mario Williams

Mario Williams Rookie

lol: lol: lol:

19. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

True, but he wasn't drafted as a starting RB. He was being drafted and scouted as a 3rd back/ punt returner. So, sure, Kubes will keep him and prolly let him assume that role again.

20. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

why would we draft VY? I like VY yet if Gary wants to work with Carr and make him better.. Well Gary gets to work with Ragone also.

I am not saying Ragone is going to take David's place, but we have two QB's.. And if Gary thinks he can make Carr a top 10 QB why can't Ragone be a capable backup?