VY: Once in a lifetime athlete?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060210/SPORTS01/602100430/1027

I posted that on the NFL section a while back but didn't see it.
    :stirpot:

2. KSig44

KSig44 Veteran

Athlete....maybe
    Quarterback....no

3. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

EXACTLY!

4. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I have nothing else to add...

5. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

well for and athlete he plays the positon pretty good even beat the number one Quaterback in the national championship.

6. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Put Barry Sanders in at QB at the college level and he will beat people too. Doesnt make him a good QB. :cool:

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

Take this for a little perspective. McNair is an excellent QB who was exceedingly well qualified to win a SB but has not. At the same time, folks have been talking about QB's changing the role of QB's for decades and it hasn't happened. It may, but none of the new QB formula hasn't been tried before. Apply that to VY and what do you have? No he is not going to redefine the position, but if a coaching staff develops him correctly and uses him correctly he very well could be special enough to win SB's if, like any QB, the team around him is also SB worthy.

8. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

That is a perspective I can agree with. With that in mind, the real question becomes "do we need to get a project QB".. and in my mind the answer is no.

if you step back and look at all the starting QBs in the league, I dont know how you can then look at David Carr and say he is a bust. The potential is still there. id rather make HIM my project QB and use our first round pick on someone else who can help the team out while Carr is on the field.

9. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

Why do people still post positive things about Vince on this Texans Message Board? This message board is infected with Reggie Bush Mud Sharks. They sit around and scan through the threads in hope to find a positive Vince comment to thrash and bash. The Mud Sharks work in packs; it’s always the same 6 to 8 idiots posting the same feeble crap over and over.

[​IMG]

10. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

There have been about 12 QB's in the past two years who have been cut by their teams who have had way more sucess than David Carr, way better Stats, way better decision making skills during games, just muach better talent. We have the most expensive back up QB in the League starting for our team.

11. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

Hey Mud Sharks, you guys would not know talent if it was slapping you in the face. You guys have your heads so far down on Reggie Bushes crotch that I dont see how yall have time for a life. I guess Vince Young will not be a success in the N.F.L. because a bunch of pea-brain Mud Sharks say it is so. Why don't you Homers keep your Pro-Bush annotations in the Broke Back only threads and leave Vince Young supporters alone.

12. Janus3

Janus3 Veteran

once in a lifetime athlete? nah, they have busts every year.

13. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

Mud Shark

14. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i'm tired of these "once in a lifetime athlete" labels being applied every year (and sometimes more than once a year, oddly enough) to some player. michael vick was suppose to revolutionize the QB position, and if anything, the position has gotten MORE prototypical of the pocket QB. QB's don't need to be athletes, they need to be quarterbacks first.

15. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

Barrick Nealy has the same athletic numbers, you dont hear all the hoopla about him though.

16. KSig44

KSig44 Veteran

Because he is 1AA (but can the competition be much different than Alcorn St.)? Grabbibg Nealy in the 6th round and letting him sit for a couple years intrigues me.

17. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I've been making jokes about this myself. The media really has some fans wrapped around their fingers.

18. TreWardTxn

TreWardTxn Veteran

We all know the media has a tendency to overstate things, but we also know when a guy does things on a football field that have not been seen (or have only been seen very rarely) before. If a player can be a gamebreaking college QB only because he is the best athlete on the field (as some have said), then why didn't Bush take snaps? Being the QB at the college level involves a bit more than being the best athletic talent, and the same goes for running back at the pro level...

19. dwilt72

dwilt72 Veteran

Barry Sanders couldn't pass like VY. Yes, VY is a special athlete. I also believe if he goes to a team that is willing to let him use his athletic talents, he will be a special QB at the pro level too. Look at the team he beat in the Rose Bowl! Two Heisman winners and a TON of NFL prospects. 41-38, that's all I need to know!

20. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

Do we need to get a project QB??? Well, we already have a project QB...the same one we have had for the last 4 years. He still has a lot of potential, but after 4 years, will that potential ever be realized? That is the question that I want answered.