VY #3 in Buffalo?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Hookem Horns, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I think it's pretty obvoius that "surely" can't beat out anyone. If VY's not careful, he could find himself in that category "other" and Brad Smith listed as 3rd.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Where's all those UT homers that were certain that VY was a HOFer? :hmmm:

4. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

It wasn't that long ago that Michael Vick was #3 on the Eagles team. Never know.

5. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

It wasn't that long ago that VY was #2 on the Eagle's team.

6. GP

GP Go Texans!

Vince Young will go play for some arena league indoor team and become unstoppable. Then he'll get another shot in the NFL because some team's owner will think he's become another Kurt Warner or something.

It will happen. Mark my words.

7. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

They are out there blaming the NFL coaches VY has had, blaming the NFL receivers VY has had to throw to, blaming the NFL offensive lines VY has had to play behind.

dc_txtech likes this.
  8. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yes. You're right.

I would add this: They never let Vince do what Vince does. Only Mac Brown was smart enough to let Vince do what Vince does. Oh, wait a second...except THAT was against college talent and not against NFL talent. My bad.

In fact, Vince faced a USC defense that I think was ranked well below many other title contenders that year. He wasn't facing the NCAA's top defense. NCAA teams also have a roster made up of freshmen, sophomores, juniors...not all players on a defense are seniors. So Vince Young was facing defenders who were right out of high school. It's not like Vince dominated his entire time at UT.

Perspective by UT/VY homers was cast aside once he won the title game. As if that one performance existed within a vacuum. This is why, IMO, the brain trust of the Texans decided he would not be a smart #1 pick by us. It had nothing to do with racism. It was 100% perspective-based analysis.

9. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

He did dominate his entire time there practically. He only lost one game in his last two seasons there which was to an undefeated Oklahoma team who had gone to the NC that year. He led Texas to the Rose Bowl against Michigan that year and ran in like 4 TD's to win. The season before, they only lost like two games when he was a Freshman that didn't start until about 4 games into the season. The defenses in the BIG 12 weren't top notch like the SEC, but he was facing some really good ones and destroying them. ONe of the best college defenses I ever watched was that Ohio State team Texas beat that year that had Shleagel, Carpenter, and Hawk all at LB.

Yes it was.

10. GP

GP Go Texans!

The key phrase is "Defenses in the Big 12...."

Plus, USC was severely lacking (in terms of strength on defense) in that title game. USC was in a weak conference and rode its own highly potent offense to the title game.

If anything, Reggie and Vince led two powerhouse offense-heavy teams to face each other in the title game...and it was a scoring battle all night long.

But when they got to the NFL, the parameters if their "excellence" soon changed very dramatically.

11. TheDrifter

TheDrifter All Pro

Those old threads are still around. There are some awesome quotes in them. Such as:

Who would have guessed God had so much invested in the Bills bench!

12. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I'm a UT "homer" who never wanted VY or thought he'd do as well as he did in Tackland.

13. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Oh definitely. The USC defense was not a great defense. They had a few great players, but most of them were young like you said. The big power house on D that year was Ohio State and Texas beat them that season though. Over all the defenses in the BIG 12 weren't top notch, but they weren't trash either. College is a different brand of football though. QB's like VY can be very successful in those leagues, and VY was one of the most successful QB's ever as a running dual threat QB for the college game.

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

^^^^
    This

Was Cushing on that USC defense?

15. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

16. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what was worse in that video, the music or the David Carr "highlights."

17. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

My vote would be David Carr getting mounted...

18. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

He was playing DE as a true freshman

19. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

You are/were one of the minority of UT fans that felt that way...or, at least, that's the way it seemed at the time.

You should go back to spring '06 on this board's history to see the vitriol and hate thrown at the Texans organization (and often Houston as a city) by these people. The amount of VY/Titans jerseys at Reliant that season was shocking, and made even worse by VY's game-winning run and "this is my house!" gloating and victory lap after the game. (Who knew that would be the peak of his pro career?)

Of course, NONE of those people were Texans fans to being with, and NONE of them have the balls to come back to admit they were completely wrong about VY's imminent SB wins and HoF induction. Freakin' typical fanboys.