Vote of Confidence From McNair, Possible Cutbacks.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

This is an unnerving article:

Bob McNair on the Texans

He gives the coaching staff a vote of confidence and then says this stuff:

Eek. I don't like hearing this financial stuff. He recently sold his horse farm to concentrate on football more. I am wondering if the economic ook is affecting him any.

I'm wondering if this is one of those things I would prefer not to know, especially after being bummed about a 0-4 start.

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

:yikes:

*thinks puppy dogs and ice cream, puppy dogs and ice cream.....*

3. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

If the Reliant deal falls through all they will have to do is raise ticket, parking, concession, and merchandise prices. Not a big deal really since the fans are always more than willing to chip in the extra dough.

:sarcasm:

4. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

This calls for dramtic changes. I suspect he will change out the lamberghini for a Ferrari.

How does he make it?

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

That was my first thought, about raising prices to make up the difference.

If I don't continue to buy season tickets, it will not be because I've bailed on the team. It will solely come down to the simple fact that I can no longer afford it.

I've been told that I have a wine taste on a beer salary. That is somewhat true to a certain extent.

6. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Here is the entirety of Bob McNair's press conference notes (sorry I do not have a link):

Texans owner Bob McNair
    There you go. Just putting everything in context.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Was it your mother or wife who said that ? ..... I fall into the category of Both of the above.

Sucks this "Financial Rosencoptor" is affecting us in so many ways .... even our escapes from the daily grind.

8. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

Just think if you are an NFL owner and about to complete construction on a billion dollar stadium.

When I first read about that new stadium, my first thought was how do you get a reasonsable ROI on that investment?

9. Drew_Smoke

Drew_Smoke @Drew_Smoke

Cutting expenses has nada to do with team payroll. He's Uncle Bob...not Uncle Drayton.

Reliant sux anyway. I never got my check to call Bob's Field, Reliant Stadium. So its either Texans Stadium or Bob's Field around me. Coke could pop in to take over. Either that or maybe Mattress Mac figured out VY was the WRONG pick and has gotten over it.

10. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Usually a vote of confidence for NFL coaches is the kiss of death...

I could envision a coaching change if the team continues to lose.

Not anything like a middle of the year change but maybe over the summer type thing.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm not completely sold on Kubiak as the head guy. And Cowher is out there...just saying.

11. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I've never understood how a losing record equaled increased ticket prices. Seems a bit odd to me but it is an economic truth.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

You may be right .... A vote of confidence can mean the begining of the end .... Cept for this guy we have running the team isnt your average owner. I think he meant it and Kubiak will be here a while even if we see a Rosencoptor season ....

As for Cowher , I dont see him taking over a team like this one. Its just got too many holes .... I can only see him coming out of retirement to take over a contending team.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

(on if he can envision any scenario this season where he would fire head coach Gary Kubiak and start over) “I’m focusing on where we are right now and what we’re doing. I’d say our coaching staff is doing a fine job. The players were prepared. They executed well. They played hard. What could anybody else do?”
    Huh ? Is that a categorical endorsement of Kubiaks performance ? I don't think so. I didn't hear McNair say anything like "Kubiaks definitely my guy" or "we got some bad luck, with Ike and all, but I'm totally happy with
    Gary".
    And most meaningfully, he side-stepped a direct reply to the specific question put to him about firing Kubiak.

14. GP

GP Go Texans!

Poor Bob.

I almost felt sorry for him, until I realized that Billionaires make billions and we don't. So Bob falls from number 4 to number 8 on the "Most Profitable NFL Franchise" list? Excuse me if I don't shed a tear.

But hey, times are tough...even for the wealthy. :joker:

He'll scrape by somehow. He's not a pessimist, remember.

(If Reliant doesn't renew...some other company will pay a few million less. Big deal).

15. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

If Reliant bails someone else will step right in no matter the matket situation.

Enron Field, Adelphia etc someone always wants the pub the receive on game day and for event.

16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I might give a few hundred for HJam Stadium. :splits:

17. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

If you have ever had to deal with Reliant, Reliant Stadium and to some extent the Houston Texans in a business deal they can be total asses.

Live Nation too for that manner.

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Lehman Brothers Bankruptcy Field...............kind of catchy, no? Then you could lower expectations......and lower ticket prices, resell PSLs at a lower firesale price, get Vienna sausages in a bun instead of hot dogs, leave the torn roof open permanently and enjoy newly installed more cost-effective Hunter fan stadium circulation, purchase paper jerseys with your own personalized stencil kit, and drown your sorrows in new flagship 3 ounce "3&2"beers.:texflag:

19. CrosbyTexansFan

CrosbyTexansFan Rookie

I expect funds should not be a problem......why?

It will be tough trying to get really good players to stay on this team when they become free agents.

I mean, why would you stay here playing on a team that cant win?

Why play for a team that goes out there & loses games even when they play well.........for 57 minutes?

I know I'd want to sign with a team that is a proven winner if I were a big time free agent.

Anyway, when the big time free agents depart, that will leave plenty funds in the coffers so Mc Nair will not have to worry......Bud used to do the same thing except he was just plain cheap......Bob will be stuck with it just because this team is still cursed by the ghost of Bud's teams.

20. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

If Reliant has to bail, just sell the naming rights to the Federal Reserve....they surely have some dough to blow.