Von Miller, Justin Houston or Brandon Harris?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by PHAROAH, Jan 23, 2011.

1. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Alright guys it's time to start shifting our focus away from the 2010 season and now it's time to focus on what to do with our 1st round pick. I have been review film and the question that I have for everyone is if OLB - Von Miller isn't available at #11 who would be your choice? I was watching film on prospects and there are two players that most scouts are starting to move up the 1st round board and they are OLB - Justin Houston {UGA} & CB - Brandon Harris {UM}. I love all 3 prospects but we can only draft one of them and they are all at a position of need please add your thoughts. Justin Houston reminds me of Demarcus Ware & Von Miller is just a Beast and plays a lot like Clay Matthews up in Green Bay and CB - Brandon Harris can flat out cover, I know that this depends on what we do in free agency but give me your thoughts.

Von Millier: 6'3 240 40: 4.60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQII6vrPHE

Justin Houston: 6'3" 260 40: 4.75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR0L2RVId90

Brandon Harris: 5'11 195 40: 4.45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0yjcu9CJvc

:brando:

Brando likes this.
  2. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Just looking at the videos you posted, I really like Justin Houston. He would make a great OLB in the 3-4.

3. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

houston is and will be a beast...harris i like if we trade back into the late teens....i like von but he scares me a little. i can't help but think that he reminds me a bit of aaron maybin.

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I think Pollard could do some of the same things as Von Miller?

5. gary

gary Hall of Fame

There won't be any free agents untill a new CBA has been reached.

6. Trap_Star

???

the new CBA won't affect the draft.

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Miller if given these choices, trading down to about 20 and taking Houston would be the way to go. If they can find a trading partner.

Aldon Smith is a guy that should be in this conversation though.

That guy has a chance to be a superstar. If he plays to his potential

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Nope

But it will affect rookie salaries. There's going to be a rookie salary cap.

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

The OP said it depends on which free agents are brought in and we may not know that for awhile.

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I've got a feeling that Pollard isn't long for Houston.

The S have to be able to cover in Phillips 3-4 scheme. That's not Pollard's strong suit.

11. Trap_Star

gotcha....meh, it's not like we ever make splashes in FA, uncle bob doesn't believe in that....we need to draft the BPA on defense.

12. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Building through the draft for the most part is fine but that does not mean you shouldn't make some big splashes in free agency every once in awhile.

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Aldon scares me, last time Texans drafted for potential, Okoye, he has yet to turn out. Trading down scares me too. guess I'm turning into a big ol' chicken my old age :chicken:

14. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Im surprised so many feel this way. Its what I have been thinking for awhile. Houston looks like the safer more reliable pick if we go OLB IMO. I could see us going with him as an ILB as well but am hoping for Casey Mathews late in the draft.

15. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

DE - Aldon Smith is a major project IMO I like Houston due to the fact he has played at a high level in the 3-4 & 4-3 and he led the SEC sacks in 2009 and followed DT- Nick Fairly in 2010 as a true 3-4 OLB in the best conference in college football. I think that J. Houston will rise on a lot 3-4 teams boards after they see him in work outs he looks to be a top 15 player when it's all said & done look Demarcus Ware came out of Troy and after his workouts he shot up the boards.

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Houston sounds like the safe pick, maybe the smart pick if the Texans go edge-rusher with their first pick but Aldon Smith is tempting, maybe too temping ? But as far as comparing him to Okoye, where's the comparison ? Smith may be a project, but Okoye wasn't thought to be. He was maybe young, but he didn't come out early, he played all years of eligibility.
    Okoye just wasn't worthy of the #10 overall, but not necessarily a project because he started from Day 1.

17. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Get Houston in Houston!

18. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

i would still take Miller at 11 if his there.

but i dont mind the idea of trading down for houston either because then we can get an extra pick (along with our possible compensation pick) and be able to turn over this D in no time.

houston possibly is a safer pick....but is that what we want (safe = mediocre) im not saying houston is mediocre but what i am saying is, that we could take the risk of taking an undersized but potentially explosive player in miller and we could have a great playmaker on our team.

Its what championship teams do, they take sometimes risky players and turn them into gems.

Miller will always be undersized but once he comes into the nfl after a season or 2 he will put on a bit of weight so it isnt as much of a liability.

PS no way would i take harris at 11. We can find a corner in the later rounds.
    Everyone was complaining because we had a young secondary so why take another rookie.
    I believe we will get a vet CB in free agency that will fill that void.

Secondary is as much as good scheming as good players, wade will turn as around i have faith!

GO TEXANS!

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm a gambler. Smith's a player though.

The thing I want really out of this draft is to fix the secondary.

How long has it been since there has been an above avg S has played for the Texans. Answer? Never.

This crap has to stop.

Gary and Rick have to do a better job. Lord knows they have done a terrible job so far.

Look at Smith's 4 first rd draft picks

1.OyOye = Bust
    2. D.Brown= OK
    3.Cushing= Who knows
    4.K.Jackson= Maybe a nickle CB

Hopefully things will get better. Or atleast Gary will show up at the combine.

Time will tell

I would Love to see Houston on this team. Would you agree that the there will be anabove avg player at # 11? If so, its Smithiaks job to find that guy.

Right now I would trust you to run a draft board better than Smithiak. There's 5 yrs of proof. I would take 5 yrs of your mocks over the 5yrs crap Smithiak have served up on a platter to us. But you and I both know there's alot of political crap that goes on within the Texans management.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Hopefully with Wade here, Smith wont have the sayso on the defensive picks. And after watching Miller in the bowl game, it would scare me if he were the pick. I don't know about Smith. Any I agree, we have to get some safety help this offseason.