Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Voice of the Fan- Amen I say to you!

kbourda said:
All this praise and yet he wasn't on the field to get the greatest team of all time 2 yards to seal the deal for a Rose Bowl win. Nuff said!

I simply don't understand your reasoning here. The Trojans have two good running backs who they use very differently. You're going to blame Bush because Carroll decided to go to the well once too often with White? You're going to discount what all these people say over a play where the man wasn't even on the field? I just don't understand that. Sure you can blame him for things he did or things he failed to do all day long but how can you knock him for something he didn't even have the opportunity to do?

Do you write "CARR MUST GO!" posts on days that the defense blows a lead?

I am going to go on record as to say " I have never been a homer towards the Longhorns even though I live in Austin".
I would also like to say " I have never been a VY believer or homer".
But after watching the Rose Bowl with a Ohio State homer I somehow have been convinced VY is the man for us!
One word................ LEADERSHIP.........................................................!

Hervoyel said:
I simply don't understand your reasoning here. The Trojans have two good running backs who they use very differently. You're going to blame Bush because Carroll decided to go to the well once too often with White? You're going to discount what all these people say over a play where the man wasn't even on the field? I just don't understand that. Sure you can blame him for things he did or things he failed to do all day long but how can you knock him for something he didn't even have the opportunity to do?

Do you think they would have gone for it without Leinart?? The team that has Reggie Right now, doesn't put him on the field, when they need 2 yards..... If that doesn't tell you something.....

I'm saying, if you need to win, put the ball in Vince's hands. You can count on him for 13 games a year. You'd think the call would go to your best player in the Biggest game of the year. Pete Caroll, the man who's been watching Bush for three years, didn't think enough of him to even put him on the field. Not to mention that REggie's lateral cost them that game.

thunderkyss said:
Do you think they would have gone for it without Leinart?? The team that has Reggie Right now, doesn't put him on the field, when they need 2 yards..... If that doesn't tell you something.....

I'm saying, if you need to win, put the ball in Vince's hands. You can count on him for 13 games a year. You'd think the call would go to your best player in the Biggest game of the year. Pete Caroll, the man who's been watching Bush for three years, didn't think enough of him to even put him on the field. Not to mention that REggie's lateral cost them that game.

And VY's lateral was...only good due to a technical malfunction in the relpay booth. Both lateral's were bad calls, one player got lucky one did not.

As for Reggie not being on the feild for the 4th and 2; how is that his fault?

thunderkyss said:

It tells me that Pete Carroll is a bonehead. Everyone criticizes Carroll for not at least having Bush on the field as a decoy for that fourth down play. He was over confident in that game and when it looked like he was going to lose he panicked and called an unneccessary timeout.

thunderkyss said:

USC doesn't have a QB on the same level as Leinart at that point. So the comparison is not accurate.

USC had Bush, White AND Leinart. Fact: USC had more offensive weapons than UT. I am not taking anything away from Young because he single-handedly beat USC's defense, but he HAD to. No one else was going to do it from UT.

BTW, I guess you were okay with Vince's lateral (his knee was down) because it worked?

This is apples and oranges. In summary: Vince is THE weapon for UT and USC had three.

NOTE: I almost feel I need to add a disclaimer to my signature. I am VERY high on Vince Young. I just think some of the arguments made against Bush are very weak.

Zephyr said:
NOTE: I almost feel I need to add a disclaimer to my signature. I am VERY high on Vince Young. I just think some of the arguments made against Bush are very weak.

I, for one, appreciate your candor and honesty. :thumbup I've got no problem with anyone taking a position of wanting a certain player. But supporting that position by belittling another player is a sign of a weak debater.

State your case and move on. There is no need to make foolish statements and look the part.

I remember the tons of "Fire Palmer" threads floating around these boards over the last 3-4 years. It then became "Fire Capers" which transitioned into "Fire Casserly". With Palmer and Capers fired and Casserly a Lame Duck GM, it has transitioned to a sort of "Fire Carr" mentality. We haven't even seen what Carr can do in a "real" offensive scheme.

Look at the year that Favre has had with a horrible cast. Don't you think he would have done a lot better offensively with a healthy Ahman Green, Javon Walker, and Robert Ferguson? Now lets project that to Carr. Do you think he can do a lot better with a Reggie Bush, Jerome Mathis (#2 WR), a top rookie TE, a revamped O-line, and, hopefully, a much better scheme/coaching?

Zephyr said:
USC doesn't have a QB on the same level as Leinart at that point. So the comparison is not accurate.
So you're saying Ledale White is at Reggie's Level........ he'll more than likely won't go in the top ten.......... he'll probably be picked alot closer to where Bush ought to be. Thanks for helping me make my point.
Zephyr said:
USC had Bush, White AND Leinart. Fact: USC had more offensive weapons than UT. I am not taking anything away from Young because he single-handedly beat USC's defense, but he HAD to. No one else was going to do it from UT.
So.... let's put Bush on our Roster to help resurrect our offense, but when USC needs 2 yards, they don't put the most explosive, dynamic offensive player since the beginning of time in the game at all...... How does it make sense to take him at #2, but the guy they did put in at #18??
Zephyr said:
BTW, I guess you were okay with Vince's lateral (his knee was down) because it worked?
as long as it didn't lead to another turnover that changed the momentum of the game. But this is the way it is for playmakers. Things just work for them. It's not fair, and I don't like it.... but that's the way it is.
Zephyr said:
This is apples and oranges. In summary: Vince is THE weapon for UT and USC had three.
I agree. when we say the Longhorns went undefeated this year, we mean Vince young went undefeated. So come draft day, You can either use one pick, and get Vince Young, or three picks and try to get Leinart, Lendale White, and Reggie Bush..... in that order.
Zephyr said:
I must admit, I bought into the Reggie Bush hype.... he's an explosive player, and is going to go far in the NFL... But it never made sense to me, to use our #1 to pick up Bush. From where I sit, any argument in Favor of Drafting Bush is weak. If we are going to try to Draft one player, to change the W/L column, wouldn't it make sense to pick the only player in NCAA history to go undefeated??

TheOgre said:
I remember the tons of "Fire Palmer" threads floating around these boards over the last 3-4 years. It then became "Fire Capers" which transitioned into "Fire Casserly". With Palmer and Capers fired and Casserly a Lame Duck GM, it has transitioned to a sort of "Fire Carr" mentality. We haven't even seen what Carr can do in a "real" offensive scheme.

Look at the year that Favre has had with a horrible cast. Don't you think he would have done a lot better offensively with a healthy Ahman Green, Javon Walker, and Robert Ferguson? Now lets project that to Carr. Do you think he can do a lot better with a Reggie Bush, Jerome Mathis (#2 WR), a top rookie TE, a revamped O-line, and, hopefully, a much better scheme/coaching?

It's not about this year. IT's about the last 4...... I honestly like Carr I honestly think he'll go on to do great things. If he gets on a better team, he may even start chasing records other than Most Sacks of All Time as a Quarterback. I have thought for a long time, it would be best for him to move on. It is only now, that I honestly think it would be the best move, on both sides. If we just let him go, that will be unfair. Give him time next year, to boost his value.

thunderkyss said:
So you're saying Ledale White is at Reggie's Level........ he'll more than likely won't go in the top ten.......... he'll probably be picked alot closer to where Bush ought to be. Thanks for helping me make my point.

Yes, they are both elite college backs(HENCE the word LEVEL). I didn't say one was better than the other.

What are you talking about? Vince Young isn't the only player in NCAA history to go undefeated.

Alex Smith was the only really good player on Utah last year and he was undefeated.

And how does Pete Carroll being a complete moron and having Reggie Bush on the sidelines mean that Reggie isn't a great player?

thunderkyss said:

LenDale White benefited from having Lienart and Bush working with him. It made White look better, since he was considered the lesser of 3 evils.. to the defenses they played anyway. Though having Lendale running up the middle did help open up things for Bush and Lienart as well. Would I say that LenDale is as big a talent as Bush? No.. I think Bush athleticism and versatility makes him alot more valuable of a prospect. But Lendale COULD go in the top 10 still..just because he looks like a real talented north/south runner.

thunderkyss said:
So.... let's put Bush on our Roster to help resurrect our offense, but when USC needs 2 yards, they don't put the most explosive, dynamic offensive player since the beginning of time in the game at all...... How does it make sense to take him at #2, but the guy they did put in at #18??

They did what worked for them. We could have similar success with Carr, DD, and Bush. or throw in Wells in there. Dont forget that the season before last.. DD was a real playmaker in the red zone. USC played to their strengths.. Bush isnt a power runner.. he is speed and finesse.. which made him less of a sure thing when you needed 2 yards.

thunderkyss said:
long as it didn't lead to another turnover that changed the momentum of the game. But this is the way it is for playmakers. Things just work for them. It's not fair, and I don't like it.... but that's the way it is.

Hah... Bush made a mistake with his lateral.. big deal.. he wont make that mistake in the NFL. Look at the kind of yardage he picked up with that little dump off pass though? if he had taken the tackle instead of lateraling.. would we even be talking about VY right now? As for VYs lateral being the signature of a playmaker... whatever.. it was a missed call, not the playmaker "aura" of VY. It would have been challenged and overturned in the NFL.

thunderkyss said:
I agree. when we say the Longhorns went undefeated this year, we mean Vince young went undefeated. So come draft day, You can either use one pick, and get Vince Young, or three picks and try to get Leinart, Lendale White, and Reggie Bush..... in that order.

We already have White (DD/Wells) and Lienart (Carr).. we just dont have Bush (Hollings). What we dont need is to completely rebuild our offense to bring in VY. And when you talk about UT going undefeated.. you should be talking about VY and every player on his defense...cause that is what won the games. It wasnt VY by himself. Give Texas the USC defense and they wouldnt have even been in the rose bowl.

thunderkyss said:
I must admit, I bought into the Reggie Bush hype.... he's an explosive player, and is going to go far in the NFL... But it never made sense to me, to use our #1 to pick up Bush. From where I sit, any argument in Favor of Drafting Bush is weak. If we are going to try to Draft one player, to change the W/L column, wouldn't it make sense to pick the only player in NCAA history to go undefeated??

huh? VY is 30-2 isnt he? Only player in history to go undefeated? are you sure on that? and actually.. coming into that game.. didnt USC have like a 32 or 36 game winning streak, to Texas' 19?

Hervoyel said:

As far as the posts about Carr goes, no. I might add my two cents to the matter though.:)

But my reasoning is simple. With all this praise and greatness bestowed upon Bush ( I think Mack Brown's mom even said Bush is the man *just kidding*) you would think his head coach would at least put him out there as a decoy. To me, him not being out there speaks volumes. Not to change sports but do you think Cassell would have hit the open three in MSG to clinch a game three win for the Rockets if Hakeem was on the bench?

kbourda said:
But my reasoning is simple. With all this praise and greatness bestowed upon Bush ( I think Mack Brown's mom even said Bush is the man *just kidding*) you would think his head coach would at least put him out there as a decoy. To me, him not being out there speaks volumes. Not to change sports but do you think Cassell would have hit the open three in MSG to clinch a game three win for the Rockets if Hakeem was on the bench?

You know, Barry Sanders was often not in the game for short yardage and 4th down plays? Do you think that "speaks volumes" about him?

Back