Vince Young QB Controversy?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Texans_Chick, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I wrote something on FanHouse not intending to stir the pot but rather as a way to discuss something in a straight forward way.

David Carr when he was with the Texans had a lot of good will at first. Some of that came from the big throws against the Cowboys with a team of misfits and rejects around him.

But later, after times got much worse, everything that David Carr did got criticized. His body language on the field and how he interacted with his teammates. Though the national media view was that DC was a good QB with a poor offensive line, locally, people lost their good will with him much more quickly.

So, I'm sitting near the Titans bench yesterday, and notice how little Vince Young was interacting with his teammates. I like watching how players interact with their teammates, and that was about the least interaction that I've seen of any player throughout the course of the game. And it got me wondering about how it was for VY in Nashville. So I wrote this:

A Vince Young QB Controversy?

And though I didn't mention it because this is total speculation, is it possible that VY was listening to music during the game so he wasn't talking to anyone? I say that because the Getty Images picture looks that way:

[​IMG]

The close up picture in Getty Images makes it easier to see than this one, but he definitely has an ear piece in.

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I donno but that was pretty much the first game the Titans have won in two years when Vince wasn't starting.

3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

He had that ear piece in all game.

He was either listening to play calls or music.

4. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Yep, when they showed him every ten seconds you could clearly see his earpiece... not sure what he was listening to.

I have seen QB's doing it before. Has anyone ever heard of a player listening to music on the field?

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Good article though (just read thru it)...on Cutler I think he is probably moved to the best of that QB class based on how he looks right now.

6. real

real Guest

It was probably the earpiece that normally goes into the helmet, but since he wasn't going to play he just had it in his ear...

I seriously doubt that the Titans would be cool with him listening to music while the game was going on...

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I have seen lots of other "backup" QBs with an ear piece. I think they are just listening into the play calling. I thought VY standing off by himself was odd during the game.

8. Texans_Chick

Thanks. I know Vince Young stuff is a touchy topic but I wanted to do a fair discussion that is a little more real than VY is Superman, No He Isn't because often the truth is not in the absolutes. I got this interesting comment:

9. real

real Guest

Sadly...

I'm thinking this part is true....

10. Texans_Chick

I would think so so that's why I didn't say anything.

But really, it is the least interaction I've ever seen of a QB on the sidelines. Carr could sometimes be standoffish on the sidelines, but in Carr in comparison looked like a politician. Rosenfels has always been very active on the sidelines--he is also someone I've heard discuss the unwritten rules for QB behavior.

11. real

real Guest

Oh, I 100% agree.

But I can kind of sorta understand where he was coming from as a player. I defnitely think he was being a little selfish though....

I don't know if you noticed or not, but I have a question....

Early in the game when Kerry Collins missed Demeco on that blitz and he fumbled I noticed VY meet him on the sideline and show that he disapproved...

Did you or anyone else happen to notice VY congratulating him after he made good plays ?

12. Texans_Chick

Didn't see that one way or another. Though I am guessing VY was probably trying to make Collins feel better.

I really do not like the whole read body language sort of stuff, but really, it was shocking to me to see how little interaction he was doing with his teammates and coaches for someone who is a QB.

13. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Well after seeing Vince on "60 Minutes" he IS full of himself..whether one construes that as confidence or arrogance I guess is up to the person...

14. Texans_Chick

BTW, FanHouse has a forwarding function so if you want, you can forward this post or others to those people who might be interested in it.

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Random VY trivia. On PTI last week they said he and some basketball player bad both recently had their names tattooed across their backs.

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

meh...just because the cameras didn't catch him chatting with his teammates doesn't mean much. let's focus on his mediocre playing and not this nonsense.

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Dont forget the Texans make horrible QBs look like hall of famers. If VY is out another week, whoever their next opponent is will bring Collins back to Earth.

Look what happened to:
    Brunell
    Harrington

18. Texans_Chick

I sat to the side of him. It's not the cameras catching him doing anything.

As you may know, I am not someone who is known as a VY hater. (though admittedly I do not care for the Titans). I am also someone on record that is very skeptical of body language sorts of observations. However.....

It was amazing how little he was interacting with his teammates and coaches. Seriously. When I sit behind benches, I pay attention to interaction of players with coaches.

He couldn't be standing any further away from everyone for most of the game. I haven't watched the TiVO of the game, and I don't know if this was something discussed on the TV at all, but he so rarely had guys around him it was like he hadn't taken a shower in a month.

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Warren Moon never mingled with players on the sideline. He almost always found a spot on the end of the bench far from everyone else. It used to bother me that he wasn't doing what other QBs would do, like talking to his WRs or linemen, looking at overhead pictures, or talking strategy with his coordinator.

20. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Moon not interacting with his team mates = no championships..... Coincidence?!?