Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Vince Young in the Pro-Bowl

Great stuff for VY. Hopefully our next QB will have a positive impact on our team. Vince Young no longer sucks, but it is David Carr who is awful.

And I firmly believe that if we did not extend Carr we would have taken Bush. I do not think Young was ever in the mix.

He wasn't, but of course there is nothing the front office can ever do or say to convince people that we drafted Mario Williams for other than reasons of "signability." While we're on that topic, David Carr was resigned not because the FO believed he was a redeemable player but because he is Bob McNair's secret bastard child.

In other news, Bob McNair became a billionaire through blind luck. He doesn't know how to put together or trust a team to make football decisions for him. He should however be perfect and accordingly he refuses to accept a Longhorn anywhere in his organization, except that he has several on his board and throughout his coaching staff.

I have never seen allegedly grown people whine so much about a football team. I've seen terminal cancer patients complain less.

He wasn't, but of course there is nothing the front office can ever do or say to convince people that we drafted Mario Williams for other than reasons of "signability." While we're on that topic, David Carr was resigned not because the FO believed he was a redeemable player but because he is Bob McNair's secret bastard child.

In other news, Bob McNair became a billionaire through blind luck. He doesn't know how to put together or trust a team to make football decisions for him. He should however be perfect and accordingly he refuses to accept a Longhorn anywhere in his organization, except that he has several on his board and throughout his coaching staff.

I have never seen allegedly grown people whine so much about a football team. I've seen terminal cancer patients complain less.

There is no whining in business, there is data and action to be taken. This is a business and paying him 7+ million or taking a 4m cap hit is the question based on his past performance. Spin anyway you like, but business needs outweigh individual development on this 5 year employee.

I doubt you have owned your business so I am pretty confident you would have zero inkling on how to act via proxy for Mr. McNair since he has to answer to the customers, the board and his partners. Let the big boys talk about financial implications while you go into the Hospice in your clown suit to help the terminally ill.

There is no whining in business, there is data and action to be taken. This is a business and paying him 7+ million or taking a 4m cap hit is the question based on his past performance. Spin anyway you like, but business needs outweigh individual development on this 5 year employee.

I doubt you have owned your business so I am pretty confident you would have zero inkling on how to act via proxy for Mr. McNair since he has to answer to the customers, the board and his partners. Let the big boys talk about financial implications while you go into the Hospice in your clown suit to help the terminally ill.

I have twice owned my own business and in mentioning whining I certainly wasn't referring to the idea of holding David Carr reasonably responsible for his play and weighing the gains of this investment versus other possibilities.

I was referring to the constant wah wah wah I want to suckle on VY's teet but Bob McNair hates me and my life sucks because I don't have any interests or fulfillment outside of football kind of banter. I am quite simply sick of reading this tripe.

I barely venture into the Bullpen or NFL sections these days and every time I do I wish I hadn't. I'll leave you business-savvy self-described geniuses to carry on about why David Carr is a bad ROI (he is at this point) and why VY is nothing short of the greatest thing sliced bread (he's not bad). My point however poorly communicated or misunderstood on your part was that it is ridiculous to "still be bitter" as a fan about a game of football.

Damn, that was a tough burn. I respect opinions from both sides so I can see where Jerek is coming from. But you have a point as well, KT.

I was referring to the constant wah wah wah I want to suckle on VY's teet but Bob McNair hates me and my life sucks because I don't have any interests or fulfillment outside of football kind of banter. See Exhibit A Hook Em Horns which prompted my initial response.

IMO, Austin fans have a right to bag on McNair. A lot of Austin fans have followed the team since day one and the team has made zero effort to market outside of Houston. I'll bet San Antonio fans would agree.

I think just as a matter of principle, the Texans should have tried to stake out the other Texas cities so they could at least be Texas' AFC team. Now, they aren't even that.

The Texans had a luncheon before the 2002 season and there was free coffee at Austin area Exxons when the Texans won in 2005. Other than that, the team has had no presence in Austin.

If Cowboys fans in Texas can watch the Cowboys every Sunday, then there's no reason that Texans fans in Texas shouldn't watch the Texans every Sunday.

IMO, Austin fans have a right to bag on McNair. A lot of Austin fans have followed the team since day one and the team has made zero effort to market outside of Houston. I'll bet San Antonio fans would agree.

I think just as a matter of principle, the Texans should have tried to stake out the other Texas cities so they could at least be Texas' AFC team. Now, they aren't even that.

The Texans had a luncheon before the 2002 season and there was free coffee at Austin area Exxons when the Texans won in 2005. Other than that, the team has had no presence in Austin.

If Cowboys fans in Texas can watch the Cowboys every Sunday, then there's no reason that Texans fans in Texas shouldn't watch the Texans every Sunday.

I agree and this is yet another example of a perfectly relevant business discussion that you don't find much of in the football side of the boards. The Texans IMO have done a poor job marketing the team even locally and while I do not fault them for their draft choices of last year I can think of at least a dozen examples in which they stand to improve fan relations with only modest investment or policy change. The website while pretty is content-poor, the food still sucks, the music is not good, the Spanish/Mexican outreach is a joke, their staff arrogant and unresponsive to fan feedback ... and I could go on. I'd venture to bet the only thing upon which virtually all of us would agree is good are the cheerleaders.

As another example of the behavior that I was attempting to condemn, in the recent SB thread bagging on Rex Grossman, I'd say a healthy 1/3 of the posts are "but at least he does/doesn't suck as much as David Carr." Meanwhile in the Bullpen I'd venture to guess that 18/20 of the threads there, regardless of their original purpose, have been taken off track with some kind of "but Carr" statements. Just idiotic.

I'm sorry to have wasted anybody's time here, though I thank you for a literate and well-developed response. I'm really just venting which I don't do publicly here often and I don't need to waste any more time doing so, since I'm not adding anything to the discussion any way.

I agree and this is yet another example of a perfectly relevant business discussion that you don't find much of in the football side of the boards. As another example, in the recent SB thread bagging on Rex Grossman, I'd say a healthy 1/3 of the posts are "but at least he does/doesn't suck as much as David Carr." Meanwhile in the Bullpen I'd venture to guess that 18/20 of the threads there, regardless of their original purpose, have been taken off track with some kind of "but Carr" statements. Just idiotic.

I'm sorry to have wasted anybody's time here, though I thank you for a literate and well-developed response. I'm really just venting which I don't do publicly here often and I don't need to waste any more time doing so, since I'm not adding anything to the discussion any way.

David Carr is this board's version of Godwin's Law.

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is a mainstay of Internet culture, an adage formulated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

In the case of this board, "As any random thread grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving David Carr approaches one."

Jerek do you realize what being a fan is? Fans have passion and are emotional. If you can't get excited or upset about the team you're pulling for than maybe you took up the wrong hobby. Something like wine sampling or collecting pieces of fine art might be more up your alley.

The issue is with you if you can't understand why there are some people that are upset that we passed on a QB that won rookie of the year and is playing in the pro bowl while the QB our front office stated as a reason for passing on him is probably on his way out door less than a year later.

Jerek do you realize what being a fan is? Fans have passion and are emotional. If you can't get excited or upset about the team you're pulling for than maybe you took up the wrong hobby. Something like wine sampling or collecting pieces of fine art might be more up your alley.

The issue is with you if you can't understand why there are some people that are upset that we passed on a QB that won rookie of the year and is playing in the pro bowl while the QB our front office stated as a reason for passing on him is probably on his way out door less than a year later.

I know what being a fan is and I realize the futility in trying to define them myself. I've played basketball at the college level and I know what it is to love and hate your fans. I get excited for my team, am right there on Sunday win, lose, or draw with most of you guys and I also refuse to complain with my every breath about a mistake that my team made, any mistake, a full year after the fact. We have literally dozens of posters who have posted hundreds of times for months now about two and only two topics--the greatness of Vince Young and the lowest-of-low cow feces that is David Carr. Forgive my previous ambiguity but that is what you see all too frequently on these boards and is specifically the kind of behavior I was commenting against. That to me suggests some sort of social disorder or psychologically avoidant behavior, not a "hobby."

Look it's not like he's the #1 pick(Manning, Carson, Brady, Rivers, Young). Some of the others opted out and he gets to go. Pro Bowl is actually a complete waste of time and money IMO. I don't like Young, I believe he is tatally classless and a lowlife, BUT he is a very talented football player who will get better down the road, but lets not put him in the HOF yet.

and I also refuse to complain with my every breath about a mistake that my team made, any mistake, a full year after the fact.

Well it might be easy for you to get over since you never wanted to draft him in the first place and probably still have your doubts about him. Can you at least see why others that had a different take on the situation might be a little upset and have a hard time getting over it? This issue is NOT going away unless Vince Young falls on his face or the Texans get really good quick. That's the risk the Texans front office took when passing on him.

Well it might be easy for you to get over since you never wanted to draft him in the first place and probably still have your doubts about him. Can you at least see why others that had a different take on the situation might be a little upset and have a hard time getting over it? This issue is NOT going away unless Vince Young falls on his face or the Texans get really good quick. That's the risk the Texans front office took when passing on him.

I wanted Derrick Johnson 2 years ago, could not believe my good luck when he fell to us, and booed with just about everyone else at the draft party when we got Travis Johnson instead. Cass was a clown and has wrapped this franchise up and down in his used toilet paper. I've been a Texans fan since I moved back to Houston, I've bought the gear and have gone to the games and have listened to the bad jokes for years now. Whether or not I wanted VY initially and whether or not he's the best long-term solution there is little denying that he would have been more effective than Carr throughout the course of this season.

I've been a fan of basketball for many years longer than I have football. I loved the Bulls when MJ, Pippen, and Phil ruled the NBA, before Jerry Krause dismantled them years ahead of their time. I've followed the Spurs since David Robinson's days and have choked down mistake after mistake from that franchise. I've watched the NBA devolve from the arena of basketball at the highest level to a league of selfish showboats that is little more professional than the WWF or the playgrounds these clowns are harvested from.

Point being I know what it is to watch my team make mistakes and to things I vehemently disagree with. I still cannot fathom spending even 1/10th of the time on an anonymous message board that some people do here complaining about them.

...I don't like Young, I believe he is tatally classless and a lowlife...
A lowlife? Where does that come from? I haven't heard a peep about Young getting into trouble during all of his days in Austin or Bugtussle. Do you have breaking news?

Look it's not like he's the #1 pick(Manning, Carson, Brady, Rivers, Young). Some of the others opted out and he gets to go. Pro Bowl is actually a complete waste of time and money IMO. I don't like Young, I believe he is tatally classless and a lowlife, BUT he is a very talented football player who will get better down the road, but lets not put him in the HOF yet.

Merrill Hoge's cousin....perhaps.

I don't see how you can insult VY by calling him classless and a lowlife and you don't even know him. If you're tired of the VY love thats cool, but to insult. What did he ever do to you?

Just stating my opinion of him as a person. Maybe I used to strong of words to express that opinion and if you disagree with me that's fine. Also don't assume that people have not met each other. I do believe that he is talented and will only get better barring any injuries. Glad to see some people can disagree about something here without jumping down each others throats

I wanted Derrick Johnson 2 years ago, could not believe my good luck when he fell to us, and booed with just about everyone else at the draft party when we got Travis Johnson instead. Cass was a clown and has wrapped this franchise up and down in his used toilet paper. I've been a Texans fan since I moved back to Houston, I've bought the gear and have gone to the games and have listened to the bad jokes for years now. Whether or not I wanted VY initially and whether or not he's the best long-term solution there is little denying that he would have been more effective than Carr throughout the course of this season.

I've been a fan of basketball for many years longer than I have football. I loved the Bulls when MJ, Pippen, and Phil ruled the NBA, before Jerry Krause dismantled them years ahead of their time. I've followed the Spurs since David Robinson's days and have choked down mistake after mistake from that franchise. I've watched the NBA devolve from the arena of basketball at the highest level to a league of selfish showboats that is little more professional than the WWF or the playgrounds these clowns are harvested from.

Point being I know what it is to watch my team make mistakes and to things I vehemently disagree with. I still cannot fathom spending even 1/10th of the time on an anonymous message board that some people do here complaining about them.
Cass had problems with Mack Browns X and O and player development. Fine but Mack knows talent .
Fan MB's are a good place to vent no punches thrown!
:ok:

... guys and I also refuse to complain with my every breath about a mistake that my team made, any mistake, a full year after the fact. ...against. That to me suggests some sort of social disorder or psychologically avoidant behavior, not a "hobby."

Not me.

I still get worked up about T-Ta-Tah-o... T-... Tah... Tah-ow-nee Bah...
Bah... Ba... TONY BOSELLI That ******* that sorry ****** **** **** and his bum ****** ****** ***** ****** ****** ********** Casserly love-child ***** ***** fit for ****** **** **** ******* farm animals.

and Social Disorder rules.
:jam:

and NO MORE PINK SHIRTS for Vince, that doesn't rule.

Great stuff for VY. Hopefully our next QB will have a positive impact on our team. Vince Young no longer sucks, but it is David Carr who is awful.

And I firmly believe that if we did not extend Carr we would have taken Bush. I do not think Young was ever in the mix.

Oh, so when the running game is working the Texans win more often than not. Not surprised. This is true of a lot of teams.

He wasn't in until 2 other alternates (Brady, McNair) said no for one, and secondly the Pro Bowl is a joke. The fact that he was next on the list ahead of Chad Pennington just shows how much of a joke the Pro Bowl is.

Man, will somebody read my posts!! I'm tired of talking about what should have happen. The money that the Texans missed out alone on him should have told everyone about that big mistake. I thought Ol Bob wanted to win games and make money. Ah! I'm proud of Vince and will always support him in his future career. I'm glad he proved everyone in the Texans org and the haters on this board wrong! Heck, if I hit the powerball someday I would buy the rights to the Oilers/Vince, build a team, and bring 'em back to Houston. :drunk:

Man, will somebody read my posts!! I'm tired of talking about what should have happen. The money that the Texans missed out alone on him should have told everyone about that big mistake. I thought Ol Bob wanted to win games and make money. Ah! I'm proud of Vince and will always support him in his future career. I'm glad he proved everyone in the Texans org and the haters on this board wrong! Heck, if I hit the powerball someday I would buy the rights to the Oilers/Vince, build a team, and bring 'em back to Houston. :drunk:

What exactly has he proved? His team didn't make the playoffs. He was last among starting QB's in QB rating. As far as I can see he hasn't proven anything.

and Social Disorder rules.
:jam:

I always get a lot of entertainment value from TS's posts. :drunk:

And he's right, but my man's showing his age here....

azkena_05_social-distortion.jpg

Social Distortion definitely rules. :jam: If you try to tell them otherwise, they'll stick you with their switchblades in the back alley.

I can't think of another athelete who has had a better 12 months than Vince Young. He wins the National Championship, is picked #3 by the Tennesse Titans, becomes a starter and is a phonemina around the NFL and wins OROY and gets an invatiaion to the Pro Bowl. Life is Sweet for Vince. I also think the has appeared on the most SI covers than any other player in a 1 year span. If he had won the Heisman, his resume could have given him the title of the best year EVER by a football player.

I can't think of another athelete who has had a better 12 months than Vince Young. He wins the National Championship, is picked #3 by the Tennesse Titans, becomes a starter and is a phonemina around the NFL and wins OROY and gets an invatiaion to the Pro Bowl. Life is Sweet for Vince. I also think the has appeared on the most SI covers than any other player in a 1 year span. If he had won the Heisman, his resume could have given him the title of the best year EVER by a football player.

I would definitely agree with that. Also, arguably (given the circumstances) he played the best game by any quarterback in college fb history (against USC). He's had a huge year.

Wow, i didn't want him in the draft him, but unless you're 1 of USC/Michigan Defensive players from 2005/6, i don't really understand the hatred & name-calling.

Back