Vince to Leno about going Pro

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HoustonFrog, Jan 6, 2006.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

I'm sure many of you saw Vince on Leno last night. I did think it was telling that after Leno said that the Texans have the #1 pick VY said "That will play a major part in the decision." I know professional front offices should do what is right for the team but does that put the pressure on McNair now?Interesting.

2. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Well now, well now!

I think it would be in Vince's interest to find out exactly what McNair wants to do before he declares . . . even though they officially can't talk to each other.

If he decides to stay in school, then it's a safe bet that he found out that McNair has other plans.

3. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

I think so too. I think that was his push to be picked #1 by the hometown team.

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

And I'm betting McNair doesn't like being put on that spot one cotton-pickin bit!

5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

6. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I say we try to talk the Jets into trading up. Then we get some picks and whoever is left out of Bush, Young, Lienart, and Ferguson.

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Ferguson will be left--and that'll freaking work!!! :)

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I'm not a proponent of the Texans drafting Young, but I think he'd be well
    advised to come out now to maximize the potential of both his financial security and career in the NFL: his stock can't go up too much more than right now, but downside could be steep with an injury in his senior year or
    less than steller season. Reports are he discussed this subject post game with Leinert, who probably wasn't candid enough to tell him he screwed up by not going into the Draft last year when unlike this year he was very probable to be #1. For a lower profile but even better example, he could touch bases with Dave Ragone who was projected to be possible first round
    if he came out early, but didn't and slipped to 3rd to become sideline clerk/
    clip-board holder in NFL.

9. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

I agree with this. I think it's going to be better in the long run.

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

I think it is a HUGE mistake to pass on one of the big 3. Not many drafts fall into place like this and the Texans need PLAYMAKERS. I know the reasons why people want Ferguson but considering there isn't really a franchise QB or RB on this team, I'd advice you try and take one.

11. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

Leinart didn't go pro because he didn't want to go pro yet. He wanted to finish college, something that was important to him. Currently, it wasn't about the money to him. He was having a good time going to school and hanging out with his friends.

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

From the Justice column:

"He's not an athlete playing quarterback," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "He's a quarterback who happens to be a great athlete. He reads defenses as well as any quarterback in the country. You never hear about that part of his game."

Vinny and I were discussing this yesterday. A QB who can actually read defenses? Is there such a thing? We forgot. :yahoo:

Fiddy likes this.
  13. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

Actually besides all of that he had told people that he didn't think his arm strength was NFL material yet. Both ESPN and Kiper said it.

14. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Just curious. What makes all you guys think VY WANTS to play for Houston? I think he would rather be picked up by the Titans so he can learn the ropes under S. McNair. It's no secret he and McNair are "best friends." Why would he want to sit the bench and watch Carr progress, as he will with a new coach, and not get the opportunity to step in and produce like he will in Tenn. I bet this boy would much rather become a meatball!!:)

15. CenTexNative

CenTexNative Veteran

Two very good atricals I do believe. But I also still believe we need linemen for the offense and defense first. Again just my two bits

16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The zone read does not work in the NFL and is a large weapon in VY's arsenal. It will not work against an NFL defense. He does not line up under center and I have not seen a play action pass from him in the last three years. I still do not like the way he does not protect the ball when he is being wrapped up. I still do not like the way he tries to complete every pass rather than throwing it away. VY has progressed immensely and I believe he will come out, but I do not want to see him in a Texans uniform next year at #1.

Double Barrel likes this.
  17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

Just that quote "That will play a major part in the decision" and the fact that it is his hometown team he can turnaround.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I really don't mean to be a wise asX, but don't you realize how lame that argument is ? He's got the rest of his life to finish school. Personally, I didn't
    get my baccalaureate until I was 30 and many, many people these days wait
    much later in life. And hanging around to enjoy the social life of school and
    deferring and thereby risking the loss of not just finacial security but financial wealth for a player and his family (and potential familty/children)
    quickly becomes illogical when serious though process is applied.

19. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

Well I guess not everyone in this world just thinks about money.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I find this as an interesting debate every year where people put their own past experiences and sometimes prejudices into their takes. No one knows as each person, their handlers and the teams are different characters every year. For all we know Leinart may have had no guarantee ala Carr that he would have been #1 last year. Moreover, he may have forecasted what was best for him from a work life balance standpoint by rounding out different skill sets. Until you have the ability to be a fly on the wall or in the prospects head you do not know what makes them or the prospective franchises tick.