Vikes aquire allen 17 + 3's

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by threetoedpete, Apr 23, 2008.

1. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/18031719.html

Derrick Harvey juat got a "no" vote. and who ever wrote this dribble...vikes got a bargin considering the position they were in. Wouldn't be shocked if they gamble on Tommy Blake also before the end of the day come Sunday.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-6-202/Will-trade-change-Raiders--draft-plans-.html

I am not endorsing the disney sports channel in anyway with this link. spend the money get NFLn. Flip the the bird to the baseball guys who treat the football fans like mushrooms with their programing.. they suck and they know it.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  2. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

lol definitely not a bargain for a player who is close to being suspended for a while, and considering the needs they still have.

this deal is prototypical of Rick Spielman.

3. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

One guy is hurt and one guy is battling cancer....and everyone knows it....I'm surpried in a "Groves" guy and his injury history you would jump me on this. They bought the surest thing they could at a riduculasly cheap price. Got a twenty six yaer old at the apex of his game. I gusse Kast, they disagree with your assesment of this years draft class at DE.

4. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

in no way could anyone logically call this deal a "ridiculously cheap price."

5. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

It's really not physically possible for him to be any price other than expensive seeing as how every single defensive player in the NFL costs cheaper than him. I still find it ironic how they're willing to give up a lot for Allen, but still won't fix their QB problem.

6. camron1269

camron1269 Rookie

i like how there is the additional 69 dollars at the end of the deal haha. his jersey number too. i definitely think the chiefs got a great deal out of this though especially if they can get chris long and they will be able to get a good tackle maybe chris williams, otah, and definitely cherilus and the extra 2 thirds will help with some of their many other holes

7. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

he makes more than any other defensive player because he just got the deal done today, by the Vikings.

that's not to say he's not potentially worth it, but to call it a "ridiculously cheap" deal is asinine.

8. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i wonder how this will affect us? one team that was probably going OL will most certainly do it now with one of those two pics. so thats one less linemen for us to take.

but at the same time, it increases the odds of there being one more DLineman when we pick. hmmmmm

maybe they take a QB with the other pick some sort of QB dash happens and somebody useful falls to us?

wishful thinking. i can't help but feel like the first 13 or 15 guys are major impact guys and we're just missing the boat!

9. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

well considering they more than likely would have to spend #17 and 1 3rd (or possibly two of them) to move up and take harvey, this is a very good deal for the vikes

they get one of the best DE's in the league

10. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I think it also increases the probability of the Chiefs drafting a DL at either 5 or 17 to 100%.

Great player but can he keep his penchant for the Jared Juice in check?

Steep price to pay for the Vikes. But their future is now considering their stadium deal. They are a QB away from being pretty damm good ...

11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Does it really though ?
    You know if the Vikings had retained their 17, they for sure would have sccoped up a Harvey if he made it to them. On the other hand, its likely that
    C.Long or Gholson or both are available to the Chiefs for their 5. Now I realize they also need a LT and may even be intrested in QB Matt Ryan, so
    they could have higher priorities for the #5.
    Re the compensation the Viks paid, I'd say its in the vicinity of fair price.
    Allen doesn't really have character issues, he just has a fondness for the sauce.

12. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

The Chiefs will almost certainly take either Gholston or Long at 5 now. Now that they have three third round picks, they have the ammo to move up a few spots to snag the OT they want. Meanwhile, Matt Ryan is going to take a tumble unless the Falcons take him at 3.

I think a Chiefs-Bills trade is quite likely now. Buffalo wants a WR, but picking one at 11 is probably too high. The Bills could trade back with KC, acquiring the #73 pick (one of the 3rds that the Chiefs got from the Vikings) and the Chiefs' 4th round pick--1250 points for 1261. KC would then definitely get one of Clady/Albert/Williams/Otah at 11 and still have a high second and two thirds. Meanwhile, the Bills would still probably be the first team to take a WR at 17.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I think Allen is an excellent player. 15.5 sacks in 14 (IIRC) games is just sickening. I've just never been a fan of trading draft picks. Especially that many.

Having said that, I agree with AJ. The Vikes are a QB short of being an awesome football team.

14. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Steep price to pay. Considering Harvey is likely going to get picked up by the Panthers I guess they didn't have much of a choice and got last year's top sack artist who is young. Got great tackle play that'll help him even more. They could trade us their second now for Sage and have a pretty scary team in the NFC.

15. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Whoever said this is a ridicolously cheap price is smoking something. Not only did they sign his to be the top paid player on D in the NFL, but they gave up there #1 and both #3's. That is the definition of ownage. The Chiefs fleeced the Vikings.

Don't get me wrong, Allen is very good, but I don't know if I would use the "great" label on him. I could see giving up the #1 pick and maybe a 5th or something to go along with it. A 1 and 2 #3's is too high, plus you now may be hamstrung in future years. This has cap ramifications down the line.

Bad move for the Vikes. He isn't worth it. Great move for the Chiefs.

16. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

This moots the discussion of whether to trade Sage for their 3: the Vikes have no 3's left now.

17. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

:whew Whew. Good thing I said their second.

18. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Hey KC,

We got QBs, you need them. You got 3s, we need them. Let's Rock!!!!

19. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

:rolleyes:.. have you even seen him play?? i saw the chiefs-bengals last year and he was wreaking havoc

you do realise they would've needed to use those picks to move to get one of the premier DE's anyway (gholston/harvey).. this way they eliminated the bust risk and have one of the proven best DE's in the nfl

it was a good deal for both sides

20. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

it'd be a much better deal if Allen wasn't so easily suspendable.