Video of my least favorite Texan: meet Mario Williams

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Nov 9, 2010.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Alright. So, I have jumped of the Kubiak bandwagon and am ready for some new coaching. But, that being said, some of the players clearly deserve blame for their performance this season (particularly on defense). Other than Antonio Smith, it is difficult to praise any member of the defense. But, I certainly found where to focus my hostility. Meet #90, Mario Williams, 285 lbs. of sculpted sh*t!!

Texans Bull Blog: Mario doesn't Give a Damn!

2. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

We met mario at the training camp signing session and Mario seemed to be bothered by us..by us I mean my then 5 yr old son. Best Texans that day Sean Cody and Travis Johnson..from then my opinion of Mario..meh

3. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Man, you are going to catch shit for this.

But you are right. Mario has the physical skills to be as good as he wants to be. He is possibly the most athletic player in the NFL. However, he does not care. The handful of plays a game he does care, is breathtaking.

Mario is an above average DE, who most teams probably want. My problem with him is that he could be the best DE in the NFL, but does not seem to want it.

4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I agree... I'll say this, also, if we had another Antonio Smith on the D-line instead of Mario Williams, we'd be better against the run and QBs would have less time to throw the ball.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Please tell me there is an agenda, otherwise this is a bad post based on the video presented IMO.

6. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

No agenda... other than the fact that it is usually effort that makes a defense good. And, Mario gives minimum effort on way too many plays. I would be shocked if most people can't see that on the video we're presenting, particularly when watching Antonio Smith in the same frame work 3X as hard.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

:rolleyes: Good ole Murphster. Hypes up players who don't make it in the NFL and rips players that are actually pretty good.

Who's your favorite Texans player? My guess would be Tim Jamison?

wagonhed and False Start like this.
  8. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

LOVE Tim Jamison!!

Seriously, though, my favorite defensive player is clearly Antonio Smith. How could it not be?

By the way, I'm not saying that Mario is a poor DE, I'm saying he is giving poor effort.

9. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

In all those plays on that video, Mario is going all out. I think Mario just disappears at times because of his lack of moves, not his lack of effort.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Serious question... how can you tell he is giving poor effort? Is it because he doesn't beat his man every play? Shouldn't that pro on the other side of the line get some credit for doing his job occassionally? He is also getting paid millions to be one of the best in the world.

Not saying you are wrong, but I don't understand how you can see inside his head and his heart.

wagonhed likes this.
  11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I've stated my concerns on Mario in the past and definitely think he can get better. However, your thread title states he's your "least favorite Texan". I can't figure how anyone could come to that conclusion given how many players there are to choose from. Okoye? Pollard? Wilson? KJ? etc.

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

It is intentionally a little reactionary. Because, I'm feeling quite reactionary after these past two devastating losses... But, to your question:

Okoye- just isn't that good. I think he's been significantly better this season than the past two. But, I'm not much of a fan. If you recall, I was screaming about starting Deljuan over him last year.
    Pollard- gives great effort, but can be a bonehead
    Wilson- He's a servicable, older FS. I have very little tied into him. I'm indifferent, really. I wish he was a backup.
    KJ- He's a rookie. I like the guy and hope he can turn it around. He's trying. I wish Reeves was starting or Molden had been given a shot by now. I also wish our safeties played better. That would help him.

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I don't see it. He's hand-slapping with TEs that weigh 50 lbs less and aren't particularly good blockers for TEs. He's standing erect with his arms extended and creating very little damage to the blocker or the play, in general. It seems clear to me. Watch Smith.

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

How do you know his assignment on the play?

15. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

He turns around all the time, the problem is that he falls on his ass half the time he does it.

16. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

even julius peppers gets dominated in some games! im gonna give my theory about this.... take his size and the size of julius peppers and the amount of effort it take to move a body that size. so these guys are gonna gas out from time to time! sometimes there bodies might not respond as well on some days... there pro athletes but they still have human bodies and sometimes the human body just doesnt function the way you want it to no matter who you are

17. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I'm not saying it doesn't happen at all, but I really don't see it in that video. The only times he isn't busting his ass off to get to the QB was on the run plays.

18. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

How do you explain the stark contrast between A.Smith and Mario in the game. Smith is getting more attention and is way more productive. Do you think he's more talented?

Not only that, but there is a tangible element to effort that one can see on the field, I think. Mario either is very, very stiff as an athlete, or he's not giving effort like Smith is. Is that your argument, that Mario is a stiff athlete? I could buy that. Maybe that's why he disappears so often.

19. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

As far as Mario is concerned, I wish he would stop running around the outside of the pocket. I never see him cut to the middle of the pocket or use a spin move to get inside to pressure the QB. I see so many opportunities for him to do this, but he never does it. It's like he has no idea how to do it.

20. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    You mean Mario "The caged animal?" Williams?

No wait that kind of makes sense....he's an animal, no doubt. He's an animal who can do as much as an animal can do in a cage.