Vickers Excellent per Kubiak!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Nov 8, 2011.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...ullback-Vickers-excels-in-Casey-s-2257488.php

Fullback Lawrence Vickers is taking advantage of James Casey's pectoral injury by clearing paths for a running game that set a team record with 261 yards rushing against the Browns.

"Lawrence has come in, and boy, has he played well," coach Gary Kubiak said. "That's the third week he's started, and that's the best he's played. You guys see how we've run the ball here lately, so you've got to give him a lot of credit along with our guys up front.

"Lawrence has taken to what we're trying to teach and do. We ask our fullback to do a lot in our offense, and it takes some time, and he's really starting to take to it. He's playing very well."

2. Rey

Rey Guest

Was waiting for this...

Vickers was excellent this past Sunday and he has been good since he's started...

I saw Casey out there a few times as a TE though...

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree, he had a very good game. I don't know if I would say excellent, but very good none the less.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

This was my thought. maybe he needed time to "settle in". Whatever as long as he does what he is supposed to.

5. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I'll give him his due. I mean, it's not like he's out there on every run but he's doing his job.

And they figured out they can't throw to him, so that's a plus.

Casey looks hurt, tentative. I think it might be time to sit him back down, he's not doing himself or the team a bit of good playing hurt.

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

A guy drops ONE pass and people start going off about how he ought to be cut. And that guy is not even a WR, LOL. Meanwhile, we've had a WR that drop several passes, go on fumble streaks, and generally play like a bonehead, and people defend him.

Vickers is good in his role. Frankly, he may be just as good as any FB in that role. At least, I don't find it inconceivable that Foster could have put up his numbers last year with Vickers instead of Leach.

Casey is the guy we need to return.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I said last week that with his pec injury, he should not be put in there as a blocking back if he is allowed to return......more in a position that minimizes push away against solid resistance moves that would be required in the FB position. They were smart at least by placing him sparingly in there with light TE duties only.

8. CloakNNNdagger

Casey gives us versatility and "a new dimension." But Vickers can "blow up" people like Casey really can't. Learning to utilize each player in the "correct" situations in each game, and correctly choosing the weight of their use against certain teams' particular deficiencies, is the key to taking advantage of having two strong players in their own right.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

I think Vickers is a better blocker than Casey, but I don't think Casey sucks as a blocker...IMHO, Vickers is a better overall blocker than Leach from what I have seen...

Vonta is more physical, but vickers puts a body on his guy and usually makes it difficult for them to get it to the RB...I love his chop blocks...I've always liked FBs that chop away from the grain of the play because it creates a mini barrier that other players flowing towards the play have to try to avoid...

I agree and I thought they should have been platooned from the start...Maybe Vickers wasn't entirely comfortable with the plays...But now that he appears to have a good grasp on things I'd like to see them mixed up a bit....

10. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

I was gonna say the same thing. :fingergun:

11. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Big improvement for Vickers over last couple of weeks.

He looked lost earlier in the year/preseason.

12. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Can't argue with the results. This is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of league and I've seen a few Leach-style blocks out of Vickers.

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I think that Vickers' problem so far has been reading the zone blocks and figuring out who to hit. He's starting to get it.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Casey adds a whole new dimension to the position .... they can do so many things with him on the field it makes it difficult for defenses to defend everyone.

Vickers has blocked well ... but he's not the game changer that Casey is .... not many FB's are game changers.

15. CloakNNNdagger

Found this interesting quote on this week's ESPN injury report.

16. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

They must not like what Casey brings to the table as a blocker :(

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Vickers is the better blocker and with Leinart starting at QB the running game is that much more important , Casey will get his reps and opportunities because of his big play ability , the mismatches he forces and versatility.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Vickers may be a slightly better run blocker but as far as pass pro, Casey must really suck if he thinks Vickers is better.

Vickers has been missing blocks left & right, damn near getting Schaub killed.

19. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Surprising.

Makes you think it's gonna be run, run, run.

20. CloakNNNdagger

Who knows? There are so many games being played with the injury reports. Vickers could very well be unlikely to play at all and Kubiak is trying to force the Jags to prepare for both.