Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Vickers Excellent per Kubiak!

badboy

Hall of Fame
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...ullback-Vickers-excels-in-Casey-s-2257488.php

Fullback Lawrence Vickers is taking advantage of James Casey's pectoral injury by clearing paths for a running game that set a team record with 261 yards rushing against the Browns.

"Lawrence has come in, and boy, has he played well," coach Gary Kubiak said. "That's the third week he's started, and that's the best he's played. You guys see how we've run the ball here lately, so you've got to give him a lot of credit along with our guys up front.

"Lawrence has taken to what we're trying to teach and do. We ask our fullback to do a lot in our offense, and it takes some time, and he's really starting to take to it. He's playing very well."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...ullback-Vickers-excels-in-Casey-s-2257488.php

Fullback Lawrence Vickers is taking advantage of James Casey's pectoral injury by clearing paths for a running game that set a team record with 261 yards rushing against the Browns.

"Lawrence has come in, and boy, has he played well," coach Gary Kubiak said. "That's the third week he's started, and that's the best he's played. You guys see how we've run the ball here lately, so you've got to give him a lot of credit along with our guys up front.

"Lawrence has taken to what we're trying to teach and do. We ask our fullback to do a lot in our offense, and it takes some time, and he's really starting to take to it. He's playing very well."

Was waiting for this...

Vickers was excellent this past Sunday and he has been good since he's started...

I saw Casey out there a few times as a TE though...

I agree, he had a very good game. I don't know if I would say excellent, but very good none the less.

I'll give him his due. I mean, it's not like he's out there on every run but he's doing his job.

And they figured out they can't throw to him, so that's a plus.

Casey looks hurt, tentative. I think it might be time to sit him back down, he's not doing himself or the team a bit of good playing hurt.

A guy drops ONE pass and people start going off about how he ought to be cut. And that guy is not even a WR, LOL. Meanwhile, we've had a WR that drop several passes, go on fumble streaks, and generally play like a bonehead, and people defend him.

Vickers is good in his role. Frankly, he may be just as good as any FB in that role. At least, I don't find it inconceivable that Foster could have put up his numbers last year with Vickers instead of Leach.

Casey is the guy we need to return.

I'll give him his due. I mean, it's not like he's out there on every run but he's doing his job.

And they figured out they can't throw to him, so that's a plus.

Casey looks hurt, tentative. I think it might be time to sit him back down, he's not doing himself or the team a bit of good playing hurt.

I said last week that with his pec injury, he should not be put in there as a blocking back if he is allowed to return......more in a position that minimizes push away against solid resistance moves that would be required in the FB position. They were smart at least by placing him sparingly in there with light TE duties only.

A guy drops ONE pass and people start going off about how he ought to be cut. And that guy is not even a WR, LOL. Meanwhile, we've had a WR that drop several passes, go on fumble streaks, and generally play like a bonehead, and people defend him.

Vickers is good in his role. Frankly, he may be just as good as any FB in that role. At least, I don't find it inconceivable that Foster could have put up his numbers last year with Vickers instead of Leach.

Casey gives us versatility and "a new dimension." But Vickers can "blow up" people like Casey really can't. Learning to utilize each player in the "correct" situations in each game, and correctly choosing the weight of their use against certain teams' particular deficiencies, is the key to taking advantage of having two strong players in their own right.

Casey gives us versatility and "a new dimension." But Vickers can "blow up" people like Casey really can't. Learning to utilize each player in the "correct" situations in each game, and correctly choosing the weight of their use against certain teams' particular deficiencies, is the key to taking advantage of having two strong players in their own right.

I think Vickers is a better blocker than Casey, but I don't think Casey sucks as a blocker...IMHO, Vickers is a better overall blocker than Leach from what I have seen...

Vonta is more physical, but vickers puts a body on his guy and usually makes it difficult for them to get it to the RB...I love his chop blocks...I've always liked FBs that chop away from the grain of the play because it creates a mini barrier that other players flowing towards the play have to try to avoid...

I agree and I thought they should have been platooned from the start...Maybe Vickers wasn't entirely comfortable with the plays...But now that he appears to have a good grasp on things I'd like to see them mixed up a bit....

Big improvement for Vickers over last couple of weeks.

He looked lost earlier in the year/preseason.

Can't argue with the results. This is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of league and I've seen a few Leach-style blocks out of Vickers.

Casey adds a whole new dimension to the position .... they can do so many things with him on the field it makes it difficult for defenses to defend everyone.

Vickers has blocked well ... but he's not the game changer that Casey is .... not many FB's are game changers.

Found this interesting quote on this week's ESPN injury report.

James Casey, FB Probable Nov 24
Comment: Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said Casey would not be the team's starting fullback if both he and Lawrence Vickers were healthy, the Texans' official site reports.

Lawrence Vickers, FB Questionable Nov 24
Comment: Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said Vickers (hamstring) has a chance to play this weekend, but it will be end of the week before the coach will make a decision as to his status for the game against Jacksonville, the Texans' official site reports.

They must not like what Casey brings to the table as a blocker :(

Vickers is the better blocker and with Leinart starting at QB the running game is that much more important , Casey will get his reps and opportunities because of his big play ability , the mismatches he forces and versatility.

Vickers is the better blocker and with Leinart starting at QB the running game is that much more important , Casey will get his reps and opportunities because of his big play ability , the mismatches he forces and versatility.

Vickers may be a slightly better run blocker but as far as pass pro, Casey must really suck if he thinks Vickers is better.

Vickers has been missing blocks left & right, damn near getting Schaub killed.

Who knows? There are so many games being played with the injury reports. Vickers could very well be unlikely to play at all and Kubiak is trying to force the Jags to prepare for both.

Vickers may be a slightly better run blocker but as far as pass pro, Casey must really suck if he thinks Vickers is better.

Vickers has been missing blocks left & right, damn near getting Schaub killed.

I've seen Casey get smooth run over in pass protection and get stood up in the hole leading running plays. Vickers is the stronger blocker. Casey brings more options into play in the passing game since he's a much, much better receiver than stone hands Vickers.

I've seen Casey get smooth run over in pass protection and get stood up in the hole leading running plays. Vickers is the stronger blocker. Casey brings more options into play in the passing game since he's a much, much better receiver than stone hands Vickers.

That would a very accurate and concise presentation of how I see the two also.
MSR

Man a couple of weeks back the guy was getting run out of town. Shows what good performances do you your rep!!

I don't recall that at all. I do recall people correctly stating he dropped a game winning ball.

I might've a little, I guess? I was doing my raggin quite a while back, when we let Leach walk. I'd still rather have Tha Beast, but Vickers was beginning to come around before injury.

You don't take a Prius out to the race track and then try to race it, you will be disapointed. A prius is not built to be a sportscar. It is a low horsepower high mpg car. If you use it for the purpose it was built, you will be happy.

Likewise, Vickers is not a pass catcher. He is a bulldozing hole creator. Use him for the proper purpose and you will be happy. Just like I don't blame the prius at the racetrack, I don't blame Vickers missing the catch. Neither are built for that purpose. I blame Kubes/the owner for trying to outtrick/outthink everyone.

You don't take a Prius out to the race track and then try to race it, you will be disapointed. A prius is not built to be a sportscar. It is a low horsepower high mpg car. If you use it for the purpose it was built, you will be happy.

One of the most successful race cars around was the '80's Honda CRX - designed to be a low horsepower, high mpg car. One of the best longevity motors for which entire racing series were developed (Formula Ford & Sport 2000) was the 2000cc in-line 4 cylinder from the Ford Pinto.

Likewise, Vickers is not a pass catcher. He is a bulldozing hole creator. Use him for the proper purpose and you will be happy. Just like I don't blame the prius at the racetrack, I don't blame Vickers missing the catch. Neither are built for that purpose. I blame Kubes/the owner for trying to outtrick/outthink everyone.

Sorry but BS. Leach was even more of a bulldozer and caught balls. Vickers not being used to catch by Cleveland means jack. In college he caught 70 passes. In highschool he had 72 receptions in two years (he was the starting QB his first two years) 24 of which were for TD's.

Plus, it isn't like they just rolled him out there with no practice. Passing to the FB has always been part of Kubiak's system. He flubbed a well designed play that had him undefended in space. He has done an excellent job overall but he botched that play.

Last edited:
The running game isn't suffering, but I do think Vickers helps make good runs great by getting to the second level and knocking guys off the line to help Foster and Tate get that extra yardage.

Still remember that big drop he had that was easily a first down though.

One of the most successful race cars around was the '80's Honda CRX - designed to be a low horsepower, high mpg car. One of the best longevity motors for which entire racing series were developed (Formula Ford & Sport 2000) was the 2000cc in-line 4 cylinder from the Ford Pinto.

Sorry but BS. Leach was even more of a bulldozer and caught balls. Vickers not being used to catch by Cleveland means jack. In college he caught 70 passes. In highschool he had 72 receptions in two years (he was the starting QB his first two years) 24 of which were for TD's.

Plus, it isn't like they just rolled him out there with no practice. Passing to the FB has always been part of Kubiak's system. He flubbed a well designed play that had him undefended in space. He has done an excellent job overall but he botched that play.

I posted something similar when we let Leach go and brought Vickers in. I hope that Kubiak does not let that one "botched" play define Vickers' receiving abilities as a Texan. A sample of ONE is no sample at all. I say, let him get his feet wet a couple more times before introducing him in the EZ....or into the recycle bin.

does this mean vickers is expected to be active this week?
[...he asked, hopefully]

houstontexans.com
fullback lawrence vickers (hamstring) did practice and is on track to play after a two-game absence. Kubiak called vickers’ return “huge” for the texans’ running game, which utilized vickers as a lead blocker in two-back sets.

I'm glad we have Vickers back. He did drop that pass (which actually would have not been game winning, but would be pulled the game to within 2 since we were down by 8 at the time), but he's recovered nicely and the more healthy bodies we have on offense right now the better.

Casey made a hell of a block though on Arian's touchdown in the 4th quarter. That may have been the best block I've seen from him all year. I think you'll see Casey used more in his H-back role this week since he has the capability to cause matchup problems with AJ out.

I think I just got served!

James Casey exploded a Falcons' player's helmet off his head on Arian Foster's TD run in the second half. Casey went into the gap and speared that dude so hard it made his helmet fly off and the padding to go SPROING! all over the field.

I have seen Casey blow people up last year AND this year.

I think Vickers is more intuitive on which guy to block and how to get there for the RB to get the best use out of the block. But I think Casey has heart and does an admirable job, as well.

We need the depth, and we've used that depth this year. We're going to use both guys. I think Vickers is the more likely FB, though, if you want consistency in run blocking. Casey gives you more of an HB or hybrid FB/TE feel to the flow of the game.

We just couldn't afford Leach, IIRC. The trade-off, to get Joseph and Manning...and then grabbing Vickers as quality depth at FB (to replace Leach) was a good decision, IMO. Leach can't play FB, CB, and S.

I wasn't sure either when I read it.

Atlanta was #2 against the run, allowing 83 yards a game. We ran for 162.

thats because we ran the ball 42 times..with the exception of a couple of big plays we were met at the line of scrimmage constantly. same in the second half of the jaguars game..there is a reason vickers when healthy plays more then casey..with vickers our average yards per rush is much higher due to his great blocking..even if opposing teams stack the box or not..if vickers played against the falcons im sure we would have rushed for 200+ yards..

thats because we ran the ball 42 times..with the exception of a couple of big plays we were met at the line of scrimmage constantly. same in the second half of the jaguars game..there is a reason vickers when healthy plays more then casey..with vickers our average yards per rush is much higher due to his great blocking..even if opposing teams stack the box or not..if vickers played against the falcons im sure we would have rushed for 200+ yards..

Impact blocking is underrated. Vickers provides just that.

Now, don't get me wrong, Casey gives us great versatility. But honestly, we haven't been using him much in the passing game lately so if we're just going to use our FB as a blocker I'd much rather have Vickers.

Vickers coming back I think is the best news I have heard with AJ being injured we need as much help in run blocking as posible.

I might've a little, I guess? I was doing my raggin quite a while back, when we let Leach walk. I'd still rather have Tha Beast, but Vickers was beginning to come around before injury.

2 games previous to his injury we ran 84 rushing plays for an average of 5.3 YPC.

2 games without him we ran 75 rushing plays for an average of 3.3 YPC. Pretty evident what his effect on the field is. Dude is flat out creating holes for Foster and Tate.

Back