Vick vs LT?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Texn4life, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

I just heard a call wondering who got the better of the trade their rookie year. I love Vick and his game, but he's clearly had his problems. He is still playing though where LT is done. LT got his team farther and has the better resume from what I can see. I just wish Vick wasn't so reckless. The guy has to protect himself. So who do you think got the better of the Falcons/Chargers trade?

Vick is a beast. I say Chargers because of the impact LT had, but Vick has made a huge impact as well. It just hasn't equated to as many wins.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Gotta put the whole trade into the equation. The Chargers also got WR Tim Dwight, CB Tay Cody and WR Reche Caldwell (which means they didn't really do much with the other picks they got but still).

3. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Yeah, but Vick has been a playmaker when he's on the field. Caldwell and Cody didn't do much. Dwight was good for them a couple of years though. Its hard to judge because the shelf life of a running back is shorter than a QB. The better comparison is probably are Vick's best years better than LT's better years?

4. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I don't even see how this is debatable or even comparable.

LT is a for sure HOFer who is one of the best RB's of all time. Top 10 easy. Vick won't even sniff the HOF.

Vick was a guy who shamed his team, the NFL, and isn't even on his first team while having to serve time in prison, and was looking to have possibly his last season as a starter in ATL. Vick has been a starter for two seasons since playing with the Eagles and has had one fantastic season where he didn't win any playoff games and one average season where his team was the most disappointing team in the league.

LT takes this hands down.

5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

LT easily...

6. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

I've known LT for a long time so obviously I agree. I don't know why it came up, but Vick hasn't been a scrub in the league. When the dust clears I think the Chargers will be smart for what they did, but Vick has an opportunity to get something LT doesn't have.

7. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Vick is on a stacked team, but other than his first three years in the league and that one year in Philly two years ago, he's been an average QB that was a poor passer. Last season he really didn't look that good at all. While he was on the Falcons, teams figured him out after while and he became less and less effective. He'd hold onto the ball to long, and wasn't able to make all the throws. Of course he admitted later on in his career that he never studied film enough either and that his arrogance got the best of him as he felt that he didn't need to improve after his first few years. Certain QB's find that problem when they find early success. They don't do all of the things that QB's have to continually do to stay at the top levels. Last season he got banged up pretty bad, but never looked anywhere near as good as he did the season before. I felt that the Eagles were crazy to give him all of that big money after one great season. He is to small to take all of the hits he takes in the NFL. I wouldn't want Vick as my QB.

The Eagles are still stacked though, so he has a chance to have a big year, but I don't ever seeing him having an elite type of season again.

8. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Wasn't Brees involved in that trade somehow?

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

IIRC, he wasn't part of the trade. He was taken by San Diego with the first pick of the second round in the same draft. So SD got LT and Brees in the same draft.

That's a nice damned draft.

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Damn. I was just looking through that draft.

The Bengals had a MONSTER draft that year, too:
    DE Justin Smith -- 72.5 sacks in his career
    WR Chad Johnson -- 11,000 receiving yards
    RB Rudi Johnson -- 6000 rushing yards
    WR T.J. Houshmanzadeh -- 7000 receiving yards

The Falcons got Vick, Alge Crumpler, and G Roberto Garza.

11. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

That's correct. AJ Smith has lived off of John Butler's success for a while now. He had the good trade with Eli, but he has failed in a lot of areas.

The draft of the Bengals you brought up is pretty sick. One of the better ones any team has probably had in a long time.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I don't really consider that a good trade, TBH. First of all, the situation wa shanded to him by Eli, and then they took Rivers when they already had Brees. They gave up on Brees too soon.

13. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

That's pretty fair. Brees stuggled though the year they drafted Rivers. There was a lot of talk in San Diego that he had peaked. Rivers has been good for the Chargers even though I think he was a big reason they lost against the Patriots in 2007.

14. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

LT will go down as one of the best to ever play his postion.

Vick is an overhyped/overpaid gimmick player.

Texecutioner likes this.
  15. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

LT without a second thought. Dude was a hitman and won 2 SuperBowls.

[​IMG]

16. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Don't forget a crackhead and a rapist as well lol.

17. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Hey now .. nobody's perfect.

:kitten:

18. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

LT was the best RB in the NFL for 7+ years and is probably a first ballot HOFer.

Vick arguably had one season as a top 10 QB and it wasn't even with the Falcons.