Veterans with the most disappointing preseason???

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by the wonger need food, Aug 30, 2013.

1. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Lots of guys have stepped up to impress. Jean, Keenum, Yates, Brooks, Mitchell and a few others have all appeared to stepped up their games but who has not or even regressed? My nominees below:

1) Keyshawn Martin: Drops way too many easy passes. Plays soft. Not the YAC we saw at MSU.
    2) Newton: Still sluggish at times and loses too many one-on-one battles.
    3) Sharpton: Is he healthy or hurt? Not making any plays.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Well we can tell you have been watching the games closely.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Those that didn't play - Reed , Foster , Mercilus ....

Those that did play - J.Jo. & Newton.

The one that concerns me the most - Newton getting Schaub flattened.

4. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Easy - Antonio Smith.

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Mr. Positivity. [​IMG]

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

JJ Watt didn't even get a sack in the two snaps he had all pre-season, wtf?

7. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

Was just about to post this. We should get what we can for him now and move on.

8. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Wow... this board has turned into a complete homerfest. Are the Texans running this thing now?

Ghostform likes this.

9. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Kareem Jackson. At times he looked like he reverted back to his rookie year. Still can't turn his head around on deep passes and that's going to cost him and us if he doesn't fix that.

10. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    You may be right but my take is quite the opposite. I thought I saw him improve tremendously in that aspect.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I didn't expect to see Reed, or much from Foster, Schaub, Aj, or Watt. I'd rather the coach comes out & say, "We've got a program for him, he's following it." Like he does for Aj. I don't understand why they don't. LT didn't play preseason games & that was that... but he showed up for practice everyday, he worked out with the team & everything was good.

I would add Dobbins to the list. We've got UDFAs fighting for a spot that should be his, & we haven't heard a peep.

Also add Gardner, White, & Mondek.

12. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Same here. I think Rivers might try him early to see what's there.

13. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Jean catching passes off his belly impresses you, Sharpton hurt doesn't impress, and Newton improving with a pressure and a sack off of 28 drop backs is still sluggish and losing too many one on one battles? Dude you should swap screen names with potisyourfriend because you're high as fruck

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

You need to get your head out of Uranus ..... if you are content with Newton's pass protection.

15. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Coming from the guy who thinks that Barwin walking was questionable and remains to be seen if Whitney Mercilus can match his lost production (with twice as many sacks in 1/4 the snaps in his rookie year). Hell I'm debating football with the same guy worried about letting Alan Ball go because of his ST's play... yeesh.

Perhaps a short term memory would serve you well when watching/evaluating the NFL, players improve and drop off in short time spans. I understand that Newton has been a liability in the past, but he will continue to improve, projects take time man.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Sacks aren't everything , setting the edge Vs the run , being able to drop into coverage .... Barwin wasn't a one trick pony.

We have yet to see what Mercilus can do over the course of a season .... Im not saying letting Barwin go was a bad move , because they just couldn't afford the guy and they had an heir apparent already on the roster .... but we have no clue what Mercilus will give us this season - he's been on the field about as much as .... Sharpton which is only a couple more snaps than .... YOU!

Yep , that's why Im questioning J.Jo .... because I can evaluate what he's doing now and put behind us what he did in the past.

Newton flashes .... I wont dispute that much. Just seems when he gets beat , he gets beat badly .... kinda like Winston & Schaub is going to pay for those mistakes more often than not ..... cause that dude is slower than molasses.

If this team is a true contender , Newton has to step it up. Despite what they have behind Schaub at QB , they cant go into the playoffs with one of Yates or Keenum and expect to bring home a :trophy:

Maybe take what I say in context .... Football is a team sport. One players strengths may not mesh well with another's weaknesses ...

17. Rey

Rey Guest

As an OT, you can't ever get beat to where your guy has a running shot at the qb. Ok, maybe you give up some pressure...maybe a guy bull rushes you back...maybe a guy barely gets to the qb and takes him down with one arm or something.

But I find it inexcusable to ever totally whiff on a guy to where he has a dead run at your qb.

Blitzing players is one thing. Qb has to feel that pressure and get the ball out. But if he's expecting you to be blocking a guy and you play so horribly that the guy gets right past you and gets a free kill shot, you should be embarrassed. The goal for any starting tackle should be to have 0 absolute whiffs allowing a big DE or LB to have a free running kill shot on your QB.

If I were a coach, I'd frown heavily upon that. That's never acceptable.

18. powda

powda Hall of Fame

JJ had approved game day absences so he could make commercials.

I'm disappointed with Newton, Mercy, and brice McCain.

19. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

K Martin- seem to have regressed, & wasn't even injured! He should have taken it to the next level. :kubepalm:

20. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Cameron Wake isn't just another guy. Defensive players get paid to make plays too.