Very interesting information!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by swoldier, Feb 5, 2007.

1. swoldier

swoldier Rookie

Well Im not sure why Im not quite sure what it means to the Texans, but i stumbled upon some information that seems relevant to the Texans offseason. Say what you want but the facts are Nate Clements and Michael Lewis have recently bought homes in Houston and from someone working on the promo reel for next season. It does not have one clip one highlight or one mention of David Carr..... Very Interesting indeed!! What say the Texans fans?

2. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Clements and Lewis probably bought homes in Houston because there is no income tax in Texas. I don't think that they bought houses in Houston last year with the intentions of signing with the Texans this offseason.

Dream all you want, but that is most likely the reality of the situation.

3. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

They're also both from Houston. Clements is on record for being interested in playing here.....if the money's right.

4. Bongo59

Bongo59 Veteran

Most players live in state with no state income tax so I would not read into too much. Clemments made some big comments about playing against VY as well saying how impressed he was with him. We are not reading much into that. I think Nate will go where the money is largest......see David Givens Houston native

5. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I thought Clements already lived in Houston...?

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Michael Lewis is from the Houston area and would probably be very interested in joining the Texans. Nate Clements suggested on a 610AM radio interview that he would consider the Texans. But, it's all about the $$$.

I saw the "This is Football Country" season review DVD the Texans sent out. While it did show Carr's leap into the endzone against the Giants, I don't believe he was mentioned by the narrator by name. AJ, Dunta, DeMeco, and Mario were the players who were highlighted. What does that mean? Well, when was the last video the Texans produced that didn't feature David Carr?

7. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Umm, David Carr is one of, if not the least popular Texan player right now. I think its an obvious marketing decision to focus on the popular guys like AJ, Meco, Drob and Mario.

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It's an obvious marketing decision to focus on the guys who will be here next season.

9. CarrIsFine

CarrIsFine Rookie

Right on cue, with the start of the offseason come the posts full of speculation and misinfering.

I heard Carr bought a down jacket and snow boots. Could this mean he's moving somewhere with snow? Chicago? Green Bay? Probably not, but just maybe.

10. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno Tulexan, but are you saying that Clements, who earns all of his income and resides for much of the year in the state of NY can avoid the state income tax of NY if he buys a home in a non-IT state like TX on the theory that TX is his legal domicile ?

11. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Yup. Bush senior did it for years and he only had an address at the Houston Club IIRC. It is based on where you claim your primary home. Have to go there a few times a year I think.

12. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

That would be correct. I do the same thing every year. He probably will have to pay the "luxery tax" I keep hearing about for very high wage earners.

13. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

If we get both of them are defense will improve immediatetly and drastically!

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Why're you crapping on my heart?!?!?!?!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.:bubble:

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I dunno........ If I cross the state line & work in Lousianna, they take Lousianna State Income tax out of my paycheck...... then I have to file at the end of the year....

But..... there's no way that Clements or Lewis could believe they'll be Texans next year.... & nobody buys a house on Wishful thinking.

16. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Some states make you fill out a waiver. If you don't, thye take the tax out. Talk to your employer. La. and Kentucky are hard states to deal with, though.

17. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

If you earn money in that state you must pay their income tax. My wife does payroll for an international co. who is also in all 50 states. Ask an Astros player. If he plays a game in calif. he must pay income tax to Calif. It's not where you live but where you EARNED the money at.

18. real

real Guest

I don't think you meant it like that...

Because that's like saying If I work for a company that sends me out of state to do work, then I'd have to pay said states income tax...

Isn't it supposed to be determined by where your job is located ?

19. K.D.

K.D. Veteran

You are absolutely correct. I work in La. and when I got hired, I signed a waiver to avoid paying La. state taxes.

20. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Not all that surprising about Clements & Lewis buying houses in the Houston area. They get more bang for their buck down in this region when it comes to real estate.