Vernand Morency deal.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, Apr 24, 2006.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I have heard on this board before that Morency stated that if Bush were to be drafted he would demand a trade.

Was that in the event that we also signed Wells? If Wells signed elsewhere would Morency still stay?

So now I ask, do you think we could use Morency as trade bait for another first day pick? I want him to be a Texan because I like his promise but if he holds to his word, what should we do?

Here is what I think:

Trade him for another pick, and resign Wells.

We could trade him for another pick, and use one of our second day picks on a running back (are there any that show promise in those rounds though?)

We could trade him for a pick next year and look back at FA for the third spot.

What up?

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Morency won't be traded. I don't see Wells coming back either. I'd bet we pick up a big back in the draft or in FA before the season starts. Wells just doesn't run heavy enough.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

So you think this coaching staff is going to do something to keep Morency satisfied or you think that with Wells signing elsewhere, Morency will stay?

4. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I think Morency has a lot upside and potential. Plus, I don't think he can be to demanding, he's only been on the team that drafted him a year.

5. HOOK'EM

HOOK'EM Veteran

.......you talking about Morency the 30 year old rookie out of OSU?

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

This seems like gossip more than anything. I can't find anything official, or at least in a respected news source.

With the way backs get injured in this league, he should stay put and work hard. He's only an injury away from being needed, so his best bet is to put his nose to the grindstone and be prepared for anything.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I like Wells, in that he can be a fullback also.

If you have him in the backfield with Bush, motion Bush to the slot, then have Wells take a couple of steps back..

Should be awesome.

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I don't think he will and if we still keep our RBs then we would have to pass still.

I really see us taking Lendale in that situation if we pass on Bush.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

In lieu of the Bush thing, White not doing the things he needs to be doing pre draft, rumors of Leinart drinking, Carroll's practical joke, Mike Williams, etc. I am led to believe that there may be some character issues out in SoCal, due to lack of insitutional control, that really needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

if you think about that though, Reggie Bush hasn't even shown up in any of that which I believe says alot about him.

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

If Morency was smart, and if this is true, I would shut my pie hole. Does he not realize the position he could be in in '07 when DD is released as a cap casualty?

12. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Not to mention Leinart hanging out with Paris Hilton... that alone should be cause for the death penalty.

13. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Not another Ryan Bowen.

14. Blake

Blake MMQB

I like Lawrence Vickers in the 4th-5th. Or maybe Rashon Powers-Neal, in the 6th.

15. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

With her sexual habits, he might get just that by hanging out with her.

16. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I don't know where people still get the idea that Wells is a tough runner. Davis is a more physical runner...I can't ever remember seeing Wells lower his shoulder and blow through someone Campbell-style. Not that I would place those expectations on him, but the effort could be there.

I would consider White in the 3rd...but obviously he probably isn't going to drop that far. We don't need a big back that badly to burn 33rd overall on him.

17. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I doubt we could get much in return for Vernand Morency right now, if he stays here and puts up a pretty solid season this year then maybe we could, but he didn't prove much of anything in his rookie season. That said, he might initially be upset with us drafting Bush (if we do indeed draft him), and depending on how much he is used this next season he may continue to be upset or get over it, but in any event I don't know how much more of a chance he'd get anywhere else as most teams have at least two pretty solid RBs nowadays, and if we do end up trading him I think we will add another RB somewhere in there even if we do draft Bush, at least have three decent RBs on the roster in case Davis' knees give out again this year, and I don't see Jonathan Wells coming back to be that 3rd RB. I don't think he wants to come back here to fill that role for us and the Texans don't seem overly enthused to bring him back either. Also with Domanick Davis, if he starts losing playing time to Bush he might lose some of his motivation to run hard and play thru a little pain as well, so we would definitely need to add another RB option, unless Jameel Cook is going to be an effective runner in their system.

Not if we draft Bush in the 1st round, I'd consider it if we draft Mario in the 1st.

I'd consider Vickers in the 6th at the earliest, I really doubt Powers-Neal gets drafted so I'd keep him on an undrafted free agent watch list.

18. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

Sounds like gossip to me...I hope hes not that demanding...If he is we dont need him

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

He weighs the same as Jerome Bettis--he does not run as tough as Bettis--he does not run tough for his size, although that has greatly improved it is still true. DD at 30 lbs lighter is harder to bring down and a more effective short yardage guy.

20. Scooter

Scooter Funky

that's just asinine. nobody got in the way of campbell? bettis? alstott? jim brown? walter payton? wells runs around tackles much more than through them. to say otherwise is to admit having not payed attention when he gets the ball.

watch the games, DD is twice the "bowl em over" back that wells is. despite being a "cutback" guy, DD has made his living thus far by forcefully breaking tackles at or behind the LOS. when we develope a line that would showcase DD's cutback ability is when you'll see him shine. wells is a heavier DD, and will never in this league be a featured runningback. he does however have potential as a fullback who can catch.