Vance Joseph on DBs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Feb 16, 2013.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Check out this podcast, from last Thursday (Valentines) he said a couple of things I thought was interesting, so check it out & let's discuss.

You'll need to go down & click on the one that says, "DB coach, Vance Joseph on DBs"

I'd have liked to hear them ask him what it's like working with Wade.

& if he'd be interested in taking over STs.

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I didn't see your post until I began a new Thread re "Special Teams Assistant Coordinators." If the Texans are insistant on keeping Marciano, it would be nice to at least have another legitimate voice in the mix.

3. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Interesting about KJ not getting coached up . He likes McCain , was hesitant on Keo and others .

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The thing I found most interesting is when asked what his role was for FA, he said his job was to find replacements for the guys, in case we aren't able to keep Quin & McClain.

5. Lurvinator11

Lurvinator11 Hall of Fame

I liked what they talked about with the QB's.

Would anyone be opposed to Barkley being drafted by us?

6. Lurvinator11

Lurvinator11 Hall of Fame

I like that mantra. Preparing for the worst. If they stay, awesome. If not, there won't be that bad of a drop off.

7. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

So, what I got was...

• KJ was a poor technician, now that's fixed
    • McCain excels at covering the little, fast slot guys
    • Brandon Harris needed to get his body in shape first, which he has, now needs experience
    • Keo needs playing experience
    • Roc Carmichael still needs to develop his body
    • Eddie Pleasant needs to get into his playbook and learn what to do

What he's focusing on at the combine: drills, 40. Interview, not so much

8. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Strange how one coaching staff thought KJ was the most NFL Ready CB in his draft. But the next coaching staff thought he was a poor technician.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

They were probably considering the system they would use. For whatever Gibbs was doing, he was the most ready, Pollard was also a good fit. For what Vance is doing, Kj needed to learn the technique, & Pollard was a square peg.

10. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

"NFL Ready" normally equates to being ready to play day 1 in any scheme in the NFL from what I've come to learn. Those that have limitations are normally described as such w/ descriptions such as "cover 2 type" or "press cb". Normally meaning they lack in 1 style while possibly being better suited for the other. KJ was just described as "NFL ready" by the Texans FO which includes a seasoned NFL coach & former DB for a GM. Obviously KJ was not "NFL ready" regardless of scheme & it seems he was evaluated improperly by those that chose him. It seems that Vance is at least willing to admit that even if some of us remain in denial.

I think KJ can get better, but at least it was nice to finally see some noticeable improvement. Hopefully it continues.

11. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

ProFootballFocus rated KJ overall 14th out of 113 CBs in 2012 and 11th/113 in pass coverage. (minimum 25% team snaps)

In the playoffs, KJ was rated overall 3/46 and JJo 5/46. (no minimum snaps)

12. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

That's good to know. He still has issues getting his around but he's timing getting his hands up at the right time a lot better. Also still has an issue or 2 w/ double moves, but most definitely improved. I wish he could play tighter to line instead of using his cushion as a safety net from getting burned, but he is showing signs of improvement & hopefully it continues. Doesn't erase the incorrect evaluation of him out of college, but the Texans seem to be finally heading towards getting what they paid for.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

What I said about KJ from beginning, more important than being right is knowing the coach has fixed him. If Harris, Roc and Pleasant step up this season--great!

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

When KJ revealed that he was going to enter the NFL Draft after his Junior year at Alabama, Saban specifically (made widely public) told him he was not NFL ready. The Texans knew this............yet the Texans' brain trust, just like KJ himself, knew better and still said he was NFL ready (immediately ready to start at CB) simply based on the fact that he was coming from Saban's Alabama pro style sets. Saban told him he needed to return for his senior year to adequately prepare for his NFL debut.

Tide's Kareem Jackson passes on Saban's advice, enters NFL draft

Published: Saturday, January 16, 2010, 10:24 AM

The Texans continued to keep the myth going.:

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

CND I remember all that and kept going no, no no. It has worked out but now we need Harris & Carmichael to improve. That would really strengthen our D.

16. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Since when does nfl ready mean that a player can be effective in any system? NFL ready simply means that a guy is good enough at what he does to play his position, which many times is scheme oriented, and compete in the nfl right now. It doesn't mean he is ready to be a star or able to play in any scheme.

17. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

So even by your own definition the Texans evaluation was completely wrong because Kareem was anything but ready to compete in the NFL as a rookie. Normally competing equates to being somewhat effective, so I'm not quite sure what your argument is because Kareem wasnt effective in any scheme nor did he compete. This has NOTHING to do w/ being a "star" & everything to do w/ being able to at least hold your own a majority of the time which is what the Texans falsely believed & preached. We all know that the Texans were looking for a cb & wanted one that could start from day 1 w/ the 1st round pick. They werent picking Kareem to be the "NFL ready" bench warmer. KJ was a starter as soon as the Texans called his name & obviously he was not ready for the NFL.

18. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

I really like Harris. He struggled at times, but that was against the likes of Wes Welker. He made some decent plays on the ball & at least seemed to be in the area at all times. I think some more playing time is all that he needs & he will develop into a true asset. I wouldn't be surprised if McCain is allowed to walk & they allow Harris to step up. I'm not quite sold on Carmichael. I hope he comes around, but I wasn't high on him when he was drafted. You can never have too many decent cb's.

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

While I like the idea of spreading Vance Joseph into the realm of ST's, I would also rather him stay 100% focused on the secondary, including Kareem Jackson's improvement.

Marciano's ST's have sucked over the last two years, BUT he does have an overall good track record. Maybe the Texans should hire him an assistant that is an up and comer, ballsy effer.

20. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

I cant recall the ST's ever really being an asset & they have been under Marciano's watch since day 1. In fact, I think it could easily be said that the ST's are regressing. 2010 was an ugly year for the Texans & ST's definitely had their lows that year as well. I think the last 3 years they have sucked to be honest. An assistant ST's coach isn't needed...a new ST's coach all together is imo.