Urlacher - does he have anything left for us?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by silvrhand, Mar 21, 2013.

1. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

I don't know how bad his knees were, but the bears only offerred him 2M/year for his contract. Man that's awfully tempting to try to get him at 3M a year for a couple years. He might plug a hole at ILB for us for a year or two.

Thoughts?

2. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

Last I heard he was seeking around 3.5-4 million on a one year deal. What he brings is great coverage from the LB position, experience and of course leadership. He is one of those players that can read an offense pre-snap and make audibles and adjustments at the line of scrimmage putting everyone where they need be.

Unfortunately, he was also below average against the run last year. He wasn't great getting off blocks and was a step slower getting to the backs on pursuit then normal. With the Texans utilizing a 3-4 that may not be a good thing to put him in there in such a situation. He'll be an improvement coverage wise but not versus the run especially since I think most signs point to Earl Mitchell manning the nose.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

No, dude moved like a sloth on the field last year.

4. Rey

Rey Guest

I'd do it. Neither him nor Ed reed would keep you from drafting ilb or safety, but what they do is lessen the need somewhat...not to mention the attitude, knowledge, swag and leadership they bring...

Would be pretty big having urlacher and reed on this defense just from an experience standpoint. All of a sudden you'd have one of the most experienced defenses in the NFL. Brian and manning are friends as well, so I'm sure he's in his ear about it.

Id do it for the right price.

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

You don't want an ILB who can't stop the run. Urlacher was second to last in the league last year. He's toast.

6. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Why are people so hung up on Urlacher? The guy's career was built on speed and he doesn't have it anymore. People are reminiscing about his coverage skills which he can no longer duplicate. He's more of a liability at this point and I see him not getting the offer he's looking for and retiring this offseason.

He's a great defensive leader but that's his only asset at this point.

7. Say Watt

Say Watt Site Contributor

You guys really don't think he'd be better than what we trotted out there last year?

8. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

If the Bears couldn't work out a deal with him, then he's asking way too much for what he offers. If Urlacher was willing to take vet minimum, he would be with the Bears. He can't cover TEs, so all he would be is a 2-down run stopper. Why not re-sign Bradie James for minimum if that's what we need?

9. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Nope.

I'd re-sign Dobbins and possibly Ruud or James. I think we'll draft an ILB within the first 3 rounds.

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think Ruud with a full training camp and Brian Cushing next to him would be the perfect combination until we can find and prepare a rookie for the job.

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Classic better name than football player at this point in his career. At best would be another"intangible" signing versus a guy who is any better than Brady James.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Doesn't necessarily have to be a rookie. A young FA could fill the bill as well. I think there are a couple of good prospects out there this season.

13. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

No Urlacher! :hankpalm:

14. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

15. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

After Bradie James poor play I'll pass on signing another old, over-the-hill linebacker.

16. panamamyers

panamamyers Veteran

Imagine BRadie James if he had 10 pound ankle weights on at all times. That is Urlacher now.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

we gonna try to be the over the hill gang?

18. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

I second this. Ruud played well with the Bucs and I don't see why he can't replicate his successes with the Bucs to the Texans. I would much rather develop what we have and possibly draft one than bring in Urlacher.

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Granted. Does not have to be a rookie. Just saying that if all we're looking for is "Mr. Right-Now" then we already have a better option that we're more familiar who we could be trying to bring back.

20. Luv_ya_blue

Luv_ya_blue 1%er

Urlacher used to be one of the best, if not the best coverage LBs in the league.

For those that struggle with key words, the key phrase in the passage was "used to be."

I'll pass.