Upon review, Texans' draft earns an 'A'

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/01/how_to_rebuild.html

2. Koolbrz

Koolbrz Veteran

IMHO this is how i would grade our last draft...

Mario - C-
    Demeco - A+
    Spencer - Inc.
    Winston - B-
    Daniels - B
    Lundy - D

This comes out to an A draft?? Not exactly. I'd give it a B- for sure though. Then again, passing on two potentially great players for a project Defensive lineman with hustle issues could be graded as an F, so no way this draft comes close to an A. Hopefully this yr. will be different.

3. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Wow. You're quite the strict grader. With your scale I don't think anyone in the NFL could pull out a B+ or better. Not understanding your grading for Spencer and how in the world can you give any 6th round draft pick a D, especially when he started for his team??? He was drafted in the 6th Round!! As far as Mario is concerned, I don't have too much beef with that grade, but both Spencer and Winston have been at least Bs. I personally would give Mario a B-. As far as Daniels, he deserves an A without question. And you left out David Anderson who was also a nice suprise in the 7th, if I'm not mistaken. You just don't seem to be taking draft position into any of your ratings. If you compare Winston and Spencer to Jonathan Ogden, yeah they are going to score low. If you compare Daniels to Antonio Gates, yeah he is going to score low. Hell, if you compare Mario to Julius Peppers or even Dwight Freeney, yeah he is going to score low. But I guess you are a glass is half empty kind of guy....

4. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

All Madden. I dont think so Mister.

5. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Those grades are just RIDICULOUS!!! Even Demeco's is...he deserves an A++

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

There you have it. Rick Gosselin is one of the very most highly regarded NFL
    journalists in the business and he says the Texans along with the Packers are
    the only teams in the league that deserve an A grade. And that's with the benefit of hindsight as he points out. And he also points out correctly that its basically Charley Casserlys last Draft.
    It is what it is Casserly haters. Deal with it ?

Texans Horror likes this.
  7. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Those commentators that gave the Texans an F solely because of Reggie Bush sounded pretty stupid. It's nice to hear something rational for a change.

8. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Looks about right to me. Lundy maybe a C-, but that's about it. I'm sorry, but we passed on the most dynamic player to come along in...... in..... well, I can't remember when.

9. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Everyone made an impact. Anderson didn't do much, but suiting up as a 7th rounder is good enough.

10. mexican_texan

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't take McNeil over DeMeco. I'm sorry, I don't agree.

11. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Uhhh, I was talking about passing on VY. McNeil???

12. clandestin

clandestin Veteran

Hmm I'm not sure I understand your curve....but let's say B- is %80. Can you pick out 6 other teams' drafts, and justify them being better than ours?

Keep in mind that:

Only 75% of 1st round draft picks become full-time starters.
    50% of 2nd rounders
    25% of 3rd rounders
    10% of 4th rounders

To come up with the number of starters we did (shame about spencer) is phenominal.

Ourlads has 3 of Houston's draft picks on the All-Rookie team--and I have no doubt Spencer would have made it 4:
    http://www.ourlads.com/2007allrookie.cfm

We'll be lucky to have another draft as good as the last one.

13. GanadoUHCoog

GanadoUHCoog Rookie

Mario C+
    Demeco A+
    Spencer ---
    Winston B-
    Daniels B+
    Lundy C+

Overall B

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

entirely unfair to not grade spencer. he came into the league as a starter from the first snap, and in his brief time looked very impressive. drafting spencer was huge and should be graded accordingly ... a fluke injury doesnt change that.

you should also take the round they were taken into consideration. how many 6th rounders did as well as lundy? how many 4th rounders (or tight ends in general) as well as daniels?

15. Koolbrz

Koolbrz Veteran

You have your opinions and i have mine. Is it not what this message board is all about?? My glass is actually full by the way..lol. Daniels is a good player so he gets a B for his production on the yr. They seemed to stop going to him towards the end of the season and his production almost came to a total hault. Spencer would have been an A if he would not have been hurt. He was impressive in the few games he played in so he gets an Inc. Did not play a full sesaon so we all really don't know what kind of player he would have become. Winston is improving steadly and i like what i see and that is why i gave him a B-. Demeco is hands down the best player takin in this draft. IMHO if you call what Lundy did this yr. impressive and deserved a better grade I would not want you as my GM. If he was that good he would never have lost the starting position. I give him another two yrs and he will be on someone else's roster. If there are any takers that is. Yeah Yeah Yeah i know the O-line was not all that, i'm taking that into consideration also. I just was not too impressed with him. He Had a few good games so what. LOL...okay now I get to tell you about Mario. He gets a C- because He was drafted #1 overall and gets this big ole contract and this is what we get in return: 47 total tackles, 35.0 individual tackles, 12 assists, 4.5 sacks two of which would have gone to Kalu and Ryans if they had not missed the tackle, and 1 FR. WOW!!! Awesome numbers for a Number 1 overall!!! Then again this might be really impressive to you. It will not work for me. Don't get me wrong, i like what he brings to the team and i think he could be a force in this league just wasn't too impressed with his production this yr. Like i said in the beginning it is just my opinion and nothing more. By the way i gave Marques Colston an A+ and he was drafted in the 7th rd pick #252. Too bad it was not by us instead we get David Anderson at pick #251. He is okay but not a Colston. That is way i did not even give him a grade. But since you asked i thought i'd answer your question.

16. Koolbrz

Koolbrz Veteran

Well then, i don't see you grading our draft Mr. ALL Madden. Do you know how to grade a draft?? Maybe not and thats why you did not post your opinion. Anyways, on to another thread....LMAO

17. Rex King

Rex King Veteran

The problem with your grades, Koolbrz and Ganado, is that you're not really grading the draft. You're grading the players' performances as though they're veterans or all first round picks.

On the other hand, you also have to consider that some of these guys wouldn't have had to contribute nearly as much if we just weren't so damn thin at nearly every position.

18. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I think somebody missed the boat on this one.

19. mexican_texan

You were talking about Marcus McNeil right? That guy is awesome.

20. Big78

Big78 Veteran

my only question is how does winston get a B-?? if i recall correctly he only started 1 or 2 games and at one point was the 2 string swing tackle (the backups backup) and was inconsistent when he was in. If mario started the entire season, showing his toughness by playing with an injury, and led the team in sacks (im not sure if he was eventually beaten out for that, but if he was then he atleast led the team for most of the season), and gets a C- while an inconsitent back up gets a B-, then im gonna have to disagree with u there.

Personally i would give Mario a B-, and the only reason it is so low is because i too expect more of a #1 overall pick, but even though he underachieved relative to where he was taken, he still was one of the few bright spots on our defence this season and showed promise for future seasons.