Upgrading the roster to take advantage of Watt's skillset

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Commodore, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Rookie

Ok I'm a huge Texans fan but not much when it comes to X's and O's. Here is my question.

Our competitive advantage (something no/few others have) on defense is Watt. What do opposing offenses typically do to account for Watt, and how can we exploit that?

Essentially, what's the best way to improve the roster to capitalize on the adjustments other teams are forced to make?

My thought would be, if teams are forced to double team Watt, you upgrade at NT or OLB to punish them for doing that.

2. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Bingo.

It's an area of need and there are a lot of first round talents this year. No stunts or blitzes necessary to take advantage of Watt's dominance if you take the NT route.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Our OLB's need to be able to beat one on one's. They need to be good enough to demand help on the outside, giving Smith and Watt more opportunities.

That said, I think Watt handled himself well considering subpar Dline and OLB play around him.

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

If I had to pick one position that we could add a star to our current defense it would be NT. having two guys side by side in the trenches that demand double coverage would cause opposing OCs so many headaches. A NT next to Watt that could consistently beat 1on1 matchups would be huge.

That's solely looking at what two positions were talking about and where they are in relation to each other. NT and DE. It would crush OLs and TEs and RBs that have to stay in to block. No mention of "upgrade" from our current roster. : )

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Sure he did but that's not the point. If our QB was the best player on our team people would be saying that we need to surround him with talent. That concept seems to be lost on most people since our best player is a defensive lineman. We need to build the defense around him to take advantage of his abilities.

Baltimore did it with Ray Lewis, we need to do it with Watt. We have an offensive system that is good and steady. Its run by a good not great QB. You can add all the weapons around him you want but in the end it's still only going to be a good offense. It will never be a dominate offense.

You put the right people around Watt and our defense defiantly could be dominant.

6. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

The receiver depth is so deep, I've been thinking if we wait until the second round, then Jesse Williams - Alabama, 6'-3", 325, 4.95 - rated as late 1st or high 2nd - would likely be available at #27. His strength is rated as 9 and his best projected position is a 1-gap 34 NT. In college he wasn't much of a pass rusher, but he generated push up the middle, anchored against the run and demanded double teams. Seems to be the perfect fit for the Texans.

7. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Get three more Watts?

8. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

that's a easy solution u get a Pro bowl Nose tackle now were can we find one of those ....????

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

How bout three more mega-watts :swatter:

10. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I don't know Hunt is a 1st rounder but, sure looks great if Hunt lines other side(DE) with Watt.