Unsigned Rookies and OTA's

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFanatic, May 13, 2008.

1. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I understand that OTAs are not actual practices and players aren't wearing pads and there's no hitting, but...

I still can't figure out why a guy like Duane Brown, who stands to make many millions over the course of his career, would risk getting injured during OTA's.

Am I crazy? I mean the O-lineman and D-lineman are coming in contact with each other, right? The one-on-one drills seem like they might very well lead to a strain at the very least or a tear at worst .

Am I missing something?

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

They buy insurance contracts.

3. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Could they do the same for training camp? I guess training camp is different because that signals when they are actually becoming part of the team?

4. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Training camp is a different beast. You have to be signed to participate in training camp, so if anything happens, they still get their bonus money, at least.

5. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

This is how I figure it....

- The more you participate in OTAs, the more you are likely to know going into training camp.

- The more you know going into training camp, the higher you are likely to be on the depth chart. ...all other things (fitness, effort, injuries, etc) being equal

- The higher you are on the depth chart, the more money you are likely to command when contract time comes - unless you're a top-5/top-10 pick, which Brown is not.

...fire away
    :specnatz:
    but I'm a moving target