Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Uno Amigo Texan 2013 Mock 2.0

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Taking a break from work & know a lot of you guys/gals may be bored so here is something to fill void Pre-Viking game & time off. Big changes for me obviously, John Jenkins returning to school (Big Shock) tried to keep needs close to last work while adding some new prospects for you to consider. Modified Compensatory Picks per Dutchrudder excellent work!

FIRST ROUND: Kawaan Short, Purdue, NT, 6030 330 lbs.
Kawann-Short.jpeg

Built like a Sherman Tank, well proportioned with long arms which could raise his draft stock. Wolfe has annotated he is the best combo NT in this draft (penetration & run support). Big Ten conference. 184 tackles from nose position in four years. Had two interceptions as a freshman but no sacks? Has sack total of 17 last three years. Not a lot of pieces around him.

SECOND ROUND: John Simon, Ohio State, OLB, 6020 260 lbs.
hi-res-152579765_crop_exact.jpg

Much in Brooks Reed mold, high motor/effort guy who can rotate & provide depth improving pass rush. Led the Big Ten conference this year in sacks with 9. 19.5 sacks for Buckeye career which makes Kawaan Shorts production even more impressive, but he is stout with strong build akin to adding dynamite alongside JJ Watt.

THIRD ROUND: Ryan Swoope, Texas A&M, WR, 6000 206 lbs
Ryan-Swope-WR-Texas-AM-570x379.jpg

Slot receiver in mold of Wes Welker. Similar to Connor Vernon who would also fit but higher grade & putting more emphasis @ WR position. Texans need more production from somebody not named Andre. Posey is looking very promising as of late, has nice size/speed combo, however Martin has struggled in the slot & someone who can compete for reps would give Texans much improved fleet & possibly spread defenses out more to keep ground game strong.

THIRD ROUND: (Mario Williams compensatory) Will Davis, Utah State, CB 6000 186 lbs.
121213114251-will-davis-single-image-cut.jpg

Possesses a long, lean build ideally suited to the position. Loose-hipped athlete with good balance and overall fluidity to change directions. Good burst to close on the ball due to his vision and quick feet. Late bloomer, lightly recruited, signed with small program (shut down because of budgetary cuts) signed with Utah State Aggies & has shown excellent growth/upside. His specialty seems to be tracking the ball in flight, he leads the nation in pass break-ups with 1.75 per game & 22 on the year. Developmental possible premier pass defender with plus size to replace Ball. Aggies are ranked 18th in country before dismantling Toledo 45-15 in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. Will Davis stat line - 8 tackles 1 pass break-up.

FOURTH ROUND: Kiko Alonzo, Oregon, ILB 6-4 246

Great length, smart, instinctive & excellent in coverage. Texans need a bigger, longer cover guy in 3rd down situations who can stick & pull with these hybrid TE's & elusive RB's. Hard worker that will improve & flourish in Wade Phillips system. Drops one round in view of background check, had off field incident http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/09/ducks-reinstate-kiko-alonso/ thanks BB.

FIFTH ROUND: Brennan Williams, North Carolina, OT 6-7 310
1047571.jpg

Ideal size, athletic ability to be a starting RT in the NFL. Would get a higher draft grade except injury (torn labrum in his shoulder) out for the season, also played with it longer than he probably should (team player/character) so he could be another steal (Newton). Texans would not have to rush him back but down the road could be a starter too & provide much needed depth with Butler probably gone this off season.

FIFTH ROUND: (Joel Dreessen compensatory) Joseph Fauria, UCLA, TE 6-7 255
com_121117_ncf_Vblog_gemmell_Fauria_121117.jpg

Size does matter, Texans & Schaub depend on TE production. Like his size to create mis-matches & in-line blocking. Joseph also has bloodlines (nephew of former NFL tight end Christian Fauria). 40 receptions, 561 yards & 11 TD's as Senior 39/481/6 Junior year. Unlike Will Davis Joseph was highly recruited coming out of High School & almost signed with Notre Dame but they signed Eifert first so as they say, "rest is history". Also feel Texans miss Dresseen & we can see what happens when either Owen or Graham are injured.

SIXTH ROUND: Tanner Hawkinson, OG, Kansas, 6-4 300

Four year starter (LT) who has played under three head coaches, best fit for ZBS probably kicks inside left or right guard. Good mobility & excels in pass protection. Texans will continue to mold their OL w/mid to late round athletic fits for scheme. Did I mention he was a four star TE recruit coming out of High School? He reminds me a lot of Brisel, he could go undrafted? but I feel he would fit right in this group inside with his quickness & nasty demeanor.

SEVENTH ROUND: Onterio McCalebb, RB/KR, Auburn, 5-9 176

Reminiscent of Holliday pick to help improve special teams. More similar to Dexter McCluster, can fill 3rd down duties, elusive, good hands (not as small as Trindon) has rushed for 2,586 yards, 63 receptions out of the backfield, 8.5 yards per carry & 25.6 yards per return in the SEC.

SEVENTH ROUND: (Jason Allen compensatory) Jordan Kovacs, SS, Michigan, 5-11 202

Insurance in case Quin does not resign, regardless another back end body this late can't hurt to bring into camp. Solid safety prospect this late who will compete/battle for roster spot. Jordan is a walk on known for beating odds, this Senior was very productive during his career with astounding 331 tackles in four years playing for Michigan, his best season was his sophomore year with 116 tackles. Solid in zone coverage & takes good angles in run support.

In fact, I think Fauria's stock is going to rise significantly.
He's playing with a freshman QB and still has great production.

6'7 - 255 LBs plus.

Guy can run; he can jump; he can leap over defender; he can get low to catch a pass, he can stretch for the ball; he can lay out.

This guy is a beast. I can see him put on another 10-20 LBs in a couple years.
Will be a nightmare to match up.

I want to look at him more (haven't watched much this year), but I think he'll probably get a 2nd round grade.

In fact, I think Fauria's stock is going to rise significantly.
He's playing with a freshman QB and still has great production.

6'7 - 255 LBs plus.

Guy can run; he can jump; he can leap over defender; he can get low to catch a pass, he can stretch for the ball; he can lay out.

This guy is a beast. I can see him put on another 10-20 LBs in a couple years.
Will be a nightmare to match up.

I want to look at him more (haven't watched much this year), but I think he'll probably get a 2nd round grade.

6-7th rd. grade as of now by NFL DRAFT SCOUT http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/TE

Nice work bl. I would be aboard with this draft.

Thanks KT,

struggled mightily with 1st pick, but in essence Texan primary need will be to do a better job supporting JJ Watt & what better way than adding a premier play making nose tackle, drawing some of those double teams, wear & tear to keep Watt clean & healthy.

I don't the Texans need a guy like Swope; he doesn't seem to bring any different skill set that gives him a spot in the rotation with the guys we've already have.

Here is a Short film against the Irish. Clearly a physical presence inside, often double teamed, pancake sack for a guy 330 lbs his movement is fluid & flashes devastating power. Good situation with Texans for him to continue developing w/Wade Phillips guidance & playing next to JJ Watt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_ueLOWGdU

I don't know, Schaub to Swoope has a nice sound to it :htown2atx:

Man, that's a tongue twister alright. :cutthroat:

I don't know if these two guys would last until the third (they might) but I'd prefer them over Swope:

Stedman Bailey; like I had predicted, he continues to be a playmaker.
You can't beat that kind of production.
Don't let his size fool you.
There's a highlight video out there showing him getting into it big time with Claiborne.

Marcus Davis' stock seems to drop with drops, but his size/speed/length is first rounder material.
A third round pick is more than worth the risk, I think, since he has the potential to be a number one receiver if he can put everything together.

Missing the compensatory pick for Brisiel, 5th or 6th round.

According to Dutch you are correct :specnatz:

Compensatory Picks:

In addition to the 7 picks that the Texans have in the 2013 draft, they will have 4 more compensatory picks coming their way. The Texans lost 4 qualifying free agents and signed zero. Yes, zero qualifying free agents signed.

Mario is most definitely going to give us a 3rd in return. He has 10 sacks on the year and a huge contract. I couldn't find any TEs that were a good match for Dreessen, but given his salary and game time, I think a 5th is in order. Briesel is a guard who started all 13 games so far, but guards don't seem to garner high picks. I'm sure he's worth a 5th based on salary alone, but I doubt he results in a 4th. Jason Allen has barely played for the Bengals, so I doubt we get more than a 7th for him, but it's better than nothing.

Dutch also mentioned trading out of 1st to save on cap hit as well as preference to use picks (not compensatory) to consolidate or target specific player(s). So maybe in my subconscious I purposely took away one pick (of course would still have the 5th or 6th compensatory pick for Briesel since they cannot be traded) thinking this is surely inevitable as well.

Simply fascinating to me how perceptions of team needs can spin & rotate 180 degrees based off one game. True each game is bigger than the last, you can just feel the pressure build heading into the last game of regular season but honestly how could we ask for anything more?

Merry Christmas my Texan friends :wesmantexanfan:

If Tyler Bray or Barkley fall to the Texans at the end of rd 1 Rick/Gary should take him.

If Tyler Bray or Barkley fall to the Texans at the end of rd 1 Rick/Gary should take him.

lets wait & see how the season finishes first before throwing Matt Schaub under the bus. from a pure talent viewpoint both would be far superior prospects @ the QB position & Matt is 31 so at least from BPA approach that's not out of the question :beer:

No prospects at the QB position?

I really like Landry Jones, Oklahoma, 6'4" 230 a lot. Late 2nd would be excellent value for him. Experienced, strong arm, can run this offense with minimal changes & type of high character/matured young man Kubiak could trust to run HIS system :kubepalm:

I don't know if these two guys would last until the third (they might) but I'd prefer them over Swope:

There's a highlight video out there showing him getting into it big time with Claiborne.

Marcus Davis' stock seems to drop with drops, but his size/speed/length is first rounder material.
A third round pick is more than worth the risk, I think, since he has the potential to be a number one receiver if he can put everything together.

He is allergic to blocking.

Then I guess you just have to trust me.
I trusted you on Nix and Watt, so I can go here also. What makes me hesitate is thinking we could get Sylvester Williams in second and use first for something else, maybe even a trade down.

I trusted you on Nix and Watt, so I can go here also. What makes me hesitate is thinking we could get Sylvester Williams in second and use first for something else, maybe even a trade down.

I will re-evaluate Sylvester & get back to ya partner -

OK. Sylvester would be reaching, just a little in the 2nd. looks early to mid 3rd rd. to me. I know we talked bout this guy last year but Kevin Riddick ILB he is a dynamic play-maker. He impresses me a lot more if were talking late 2nd. Take Short in 1st Reddick in 2nd, next to returning Cushing Texans may strike fear into opposing offense which has been missing as of late - Merry Christmas

Baily could be a DeSean Jackson clone in a good way. He's going to make plays for someone.

Bray? Yes. Barkley...wouldn't touch any USC QB for a long term prospect. They tend to be fools gold.

I really like Landry Jones, Oklahoma, 6'4" 230 a lot. Late 2nd would be excellent value for him. Experienced, strong arm, can run this offense with minimal changes & type of high character/matured young man Kubiak could trust to run HIS system :kubepalm:

This is the QB prospect I'd look at.

OK. Sylvester would be reaching, just a little in the 2nd. looks early to mid 3rd rd. to me. I know we talked bout this guy last year but Kevin Riddick ILB he is a dynamic play-maker. He impresses me a lot more if were talking late 2nd. Take Short in 1st Reddick in 2nd, next to returning Cushing Texans may strike fear into opposing offense which has been missing as of late - Merry Christmas

That's an interesting ranking of the two. Of the four main Carolina players going this year in the draft I would guess they will be picked in this order:

1) Cooper, OG
2) Bernard, RB
3) Williams, DT
4) Reddick, LB

Merry Christmas

sorry couldn't get to this before hand.

great mock as usual but just a couple of things from me.

Is it just me or is it when you watch Short play he seems lacklustre, he has a good skill set and physical attributes but it just doesn't seem like his bringing his A game????!!!!

Also with swoope what does he give us that we already dont have.
do you think he would get utilised in this offence????

if quin does go in FA do you think all we need is a 7th rounder? i would think it would become a big priority.

lastly i think fauria goes a little earlier but now im being really picky :kitten:

That's an interesting ranking of the two. Of the four main Carolina players going this year in the draft I would guess they will be picked in this order:

1) Cooper, OG
2) Bernard, RB
3) Williams, DT
4) Reddick, LB

Merry Christmas

Just from watching a couple games you probably have a better idea than me based on watching them full-time. It's also a top heavy DT class compared to a thin ILB group. I see Reddick getting overdrafted based on team need. Three down linebacker adds premium value. Sideline to sideline agility who attacks downhill with package of power. Reminds a little of Sharpton attitude w/better size to slide ILB in 3-4.

Interested in your thoughts of Brennan Williams? Would give Newton run for his money. Probably move up to get him.

sorry couldn't get to this before hand.

great mock as usual but just a couple of things from me.

Is it just me or is it when you watch Short play he seems lacklustre, he has a good skill set and physical attributes but it just doesn't seem like his bringing his A game????!!!!

Also with swoope what does he give us that we already dont have.
do you think he would get utilised in this offence????

if quin does go in FA do you think all we need is a 7th rounder? i would think it would become a big priority.

lastly i think fauria goes a little earlier but now im being really picky :kitten:

Short seems more massive to me than his recorded measureables. He covers more field than it looks on TV. Agile, able to change direction, redirect weight keeping engaged & looks for his best angle to track down runner. I'll admit that didn't appear "engaged" but is way ahead of Sylvester Williams in that department not even factoring in his natural brute strength.

In regards to Swoope I feel Schuab needs a WR who knows how to get separation & work back to the ball. He has Wes Welker written all over him & nobody can tell me that Schaub doesn't need that type of productive receiver.

Your right about late round safety need if Quin leaves, but don't think he will therefore just another camp body, team player & special team standout. Special teams must improve.

Merry Christmas to all down-under Texan fans :beer:

Just from watching a couple games you probably have a better idea than me based on watching them full-time. It's also a top heavy DT class compared to a thin ILB group. I see Reddick getting overdrafted based on team need. Three down linebacker adds premium value. Sideline to sideline agility who attacks downhill with package of power. Reminds a little of Sharpton attitude w/better size to slide ILB in 3-4.

Interested in your thoughts of Brennan Williams? Would give Newton run for his money. Probably move up to get him.

That makes a lot of sense. I haven't looked at overall depth of the positions. Reddick would definitely be a force beside Cushing.

I would be willing to spend a pick on Williams for sure. I'm not quite sure where he'll end up because of the injury but UNC's oline was really good this year, and should be again next year. I'm guessing we'd have to trade for a high third or use our second. Does that sounds reasonable to you? I admit I'm just really getting into the draft.

I have watched a lot of Sylvester and I like his play, don't think his fall in ranking is based on him but on other players being the "hot bullet" for the moment. Barkley falling is similar. I think Williams will be a solid second round. Yep, I pushed Riddick last year but he lost me this season. I think he has not recovered from an injury but I don't have him rated that high. I earlier confirm my feelings with an NC alumnus that posts on MB. I feel that Jackson is better and will be there in third. If I had to go ILB in second, Minter would be the guy.

As always, love the back & forth!

Based just off bowl games both Swope & Alonzo will be gone where I had them projected, if there this is an awfully strong haul. :kitten:

Back