Unbelievable now we know what we need in the Draft

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CyberTexan, Oct 3, 2004.

1. CyberTexan

CyberTexan Veteran

We have no run defense , we need to ditch this 3-4 Defense and get a 1st round run stopping DT from the draft , this is rediculous , a HB like Zereoue or however its spelled should not be gettin yards like this .

2. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

i agree. our defense blows

3. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

And the pass rush is just as bad, if not worse. But with the personnel we've
    got, same problem in a 4-3 - it's not the D formation -it's the players.

4. DR#1

DR#1 Rookie

CyberTexan you must have been reading my mind because we're getting no type of pressure, Kerry Collins is having all day to throw the ball

5. aphia1996

aphia1996 Rookie

I didn't get to see much of the game just highlights but we caused FIVE TURNOVERS and they only scored...17 points and we shut them out in the second half....AM I MISSING SOMETHING?????

Everyone needs to stop the run and from what I can tell they made the correct changes at halftime and WON THE GAME.

Most of the Yards from a rush stand point came from the few big plays they just broke down on but looks like the fixed in the second half.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you were talking about since they did shut them down in the second half.

GEAUX TEXANS!!!

James H.
    Baton Rouge, LA

6. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

Yes.. I agree we need to upgrade our run defense.. We need a DT bigtime.. My question is, if we adopted another DT (rookie 1st pick), Should we move to a 4 3 Defense.. ? Or stick with the 3 4 ?

7. done88

done88 Veteran

How bout one big int after another. Every team has one weakness or another but our defense stepped up tonight BIG TIME.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

We have 3 guys that would be DT's in a 4-3. Drafting another DT would give us 4 and no one other than maybe Peek/Babin that would be a 4-3 DE--and they were drafted to be OLB's in a 3-4 for a reason.

9. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

We could play 4-3 now. Payne and Smith are DT's. At DE it would be Walker and Babin. Sharper, Wong, and Peek would be the LB's.

10. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

no no no...i agree our run defense is horrible...payne is not playing like he did at the beginning of last year...robaire smith is doing just fine...and walker is doing ok...payne/deloach combination is obviously our weakness...but normally a rookie DT doesn't perform well till his third or fourth season...simply because it takes those years to gain the strength needed to compete...honestly going into the draft i would just stick to the BPA approach...this off-season it might be the best idea

11. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Zereoue had a 14 carry 117 yard day. Minus one single 55 yard explosion where just about everybody near him made the wrong move that amounts to a 13 carry 62 yard day. Sounds pretty ordinary to me. Good, but nothing to get too terribly excited about.

The D will continue to improve as long as everyone stays healthy. Right now you're cracking on a defense that starts two rookies in the secondary along with a cornerback who's been moved over to safety, a rookie linebacker, and one new starter on a defensive line that also happens to feature two players returning from extensive inuries last season.

This is pretty good IMO for week 4. If they still regularly look like this in week 10 then yeah, maybe something might need fixing but it's not broken right now. It's just rusty, out of synch, and kind of wet behind the ears in spots.

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I'm glad y'all don't have ANY SAY with the draft because you suck :thumbdown listen each week the Texans defense improves what game are you watching? The first touchdown was scored by the defense, and another field goal was set up by the defense. What do you want? The Raiders have a dominating offenseve line without a safety blitz (coaching) there was no way especially the right side with Gallery, get real. I thought the Texans speed starting with the linebackers though the DB's was outstanding. Sure they got juked on the one big running play, but I'd like someone to explain to me the moving screen which is how he worked his way into the endzone. Anyway the Texans are now in position to draft the BPA it doesn't matter if its defense or offense. Texans have arrived, next Minn.

13. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

I think the Zereoue run had more to do with missed tackles than bad defense because there were defensive players around Zereoue but he just bounced off a lot of the guys...

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

in basketball a moving screen is illeagal for a reason, the same does not apply in football. Clearly if you ever played sports you would understand the difficulty trying to fight through a moving pick! C'mon now he had blocking the whole way & the rules protect that fact, something for the Texans need to file for future reference.

15. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

That plus it didn't hurt that the Raiders essientially took out 4 players with one big block. I believe Robaire Smith was being blocked and pursuing Zereoue, and he fell to the ground as Sharper dove over Smith trying to catch him. That, in turn, caused Babin to trip and I'm thinking there was at least one other player in that pile up. Possibly Simmons or Wong, but I'm not certain.

16. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

bad defense that didn't allow the raiders to score in the second half. hmmmm

17. rackem

rackem Rookie

We are talking about the Raider-Texans game played on Oct.3, 2004, right?? The game we won? The game the Texan defense is being credited with the win?

I had no idea this place was so full of short-sighted, fair-weather fans!

18. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I wasn't happy either, looking up at the scoreboard and seeing Oakland with 260 something yards at halftime. But, keeping the Raiders off the scoreboard in the second half made up for that in a big way. It's hard to beyatch too much when you set a team record for most points scored and 13 of those points were either scored by the defense or were set up by takeaways by the defense. Aside from the freaky win at Heinz in 2002 where the offense totaled something like 47 yards, the Texans 13 point margin of victory yesterday was their largest ever.

I think the Texans will eventually find a way to get pressure on the QB and tighten up against the run. Next week will be even a bigger test. The Vikes offensive attack is one of the best in the NFL.

19. Aussie

Aussie Rookie

someone like vince wilfork maybe???

20. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

We need to get over this Wilfork thing .... pleeeeeez .... this is reality not fantasy football .....