UFL to be NFL Minor League Farm???

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 7, 2009.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Could there actually be an covert "arrangement" of "non-compete" between the UFL and the NFL? In light of the loss of the NFLE, could the NFL actually support the establishment of the UFL as a "developmental league" with a wink-wink here, and a wink-wink there..........and maybe a couple of bucks under table. Hmmm.

[LINK]

2. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

4 franchises? That's just nothing...wouldn't seem to be much excitement just having the same 4 teams play over and over.

Not that I hope for failure. I've always enjoyed football in any form but 4 teams?

3. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I've been preaching for a couple of years now that the NFL should keep the NFL Europe idea, but do it right here in the good ol USA. Right here where fans are starving for football and where we can get a whole lot more and better coverage than we got across the pond. Put it in cities like San Antonio, OKC, Vegas, Portland, Louisville, San Jose, Salt Lake, Memphis, Orlando, Katy, etc. Cities that don't have an NFL team and big enough to support it like those mentioned. Hell, maybe even Los Angeles could finally get a team.

I don't know why, with the NFL's backing, that they wouldn't do something like that. As big as minor league baseball is, I don't see why a 12 team or so, developmental league to the NFL couldn't do as well or better.

It'd sure give the NFL Network something to do in the off-season.

4. Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Hall of Fame

Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO Wor
    I've wondered about "farm leagues" before. If 2 or more NFL teams "share" a farm team... then are they helping an opponent? Let's say the best QB on the
    farm team is being groomed by a particular team; what does it benefit the other team(s) for that QB to play? :thinking:

5. CloakNNNdagger

This week was the first tryout.........next one is in Las Vegas. The UFL plans to have a formal draft next year. Per PFT:

I remember reading earlier that the season will be considered a "mini-season" which begins in October. If this is so, it is not staggered to the NFL offseason like the NFLE. They will be going head to head. The other point IIRC, the UFL is intended to expand to 6-8 teams in 2010. I suspect they'll probably I adding to their rosters as NFL cuts occur.

6. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

It's a good opportunity for bordeline pros to extend their careers and advertise themselves to the big leagues.... also expands the player base for the NFL.....

I think its a good idea in theory.

I guess like most things it will come down to $$$$.

One question, does minor league baseball make a profit?? Or do these teams operate at a loss but get propped up by MLB teams?

7. Dan B.

Dan B. Hall of Fame

Minor League baseball does pretty well and there are many teams that turn a significant profit. They are able to charge much less for tickets since they are subsidized by MLB in a way. They are not responsible for player payroll, the parent club is. Interesting Forbes article here:

I honestly prefer minor league baseball in many ways. It's cheaper, there are usually a ton of other events going on at the same time, and I like it when it's a little more laid back and less crowded. Also many minor league stadiums are incredible. I've been to Round Rock, Frisco, San Antonio, and Corpus here in TX. Corpus Christi has an absolutley amazing field by the way, great place to catch a game. The nicest place I've ever seen a game was in Asheville NC, which has one of the most amazing sports stadiums I've ever seen nestled in the Appalachian hills.

8. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Let's just say, when I grow up I want to be a minor league baseball owner.

9. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I also prefer minor league baseball to MLB. It is a more appealing atmosphere.

Anyway, a 4 team league is boring. I do think that it is a good base for a minor league system though. I dont think there are 32 cities that can support a minor league team, but there should be 16. A neutral party would own the team, and get the team prospects from an AFC team and an NFC team.

Just thinking this out a little:
    Las Vegas
    Orlando
    New York City
    The San Fran team moves to San Jose
    Columbus
    OKC
    Salt Lake City
    LA
    Portland
    Omaha
    San Antonio
    Birmingham
    Lousiville

Ok, so I have not made it to 16
    Honolulu?

10. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

I like the idea of having a "farm system" in the NFL. Guys like All-Pro Guards Brian Waters helped themselves by going to NFL Europe to hone there skills before returning to the NFL. Also, this would be a good way of spreading football fever locally and nationally in cities such as San Antonio, L.A., Las Vegas, Portland, etc.

11. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

That's the best idea I've heard in a long time. I'd rep you if I could.

12. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Alba-quirky/El Paso
    Reno/Sacramento
    Memphis/Little Rock
    Vancouver, BC

Just my seven cents. :specnatz:

13. GNTLEWOLF

GNTLEWOLF All Pro

How about:
    Memphis
    Milwaukee
    Des Moines
    Ft Worth
    Portland

almost forgot Shreveport/Bossier City

14. Dan B.

Dan B. Hall of Fame

You know, I was about to ask why New York City needs a minor league football team. Then I remembered they don't have one and Jersey has two. Staying in the same state, I think Buffalo might be a strong candidate for a minor league football team. I kind of doubt the Bills are going to be there much longer.

15. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Roger Goodell has said he wants a minor leage/farm system. College football is a good way to find and develop players for a few years, but if a team wants to develop a 3rd string QB, there just aren't any options. I can't see the NFL starting anything up until the economy is healthier. I'm sure the NFL can afford to do it, but it's not the best thing to do PR-wise.

16. CloakNNNdagger

17. CloakNNNdagger

At this point, it seems that the UFL pay scale sets them up as an NFL "farm league" rather than a true competition. Good and successful UFL players could be prime meat for NFL pickings.

18. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090703/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbo_vick_ufl

19. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I still don't see how a 4 team league can succeed...how boring playing the same teams over and over.

20. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

yeah, and if one of them is really bad, or really good, it gets even worse in these start up leagues. I still don't understand why they are playing during the regular NFL season. If they were playing in the spring they might get some attention from football starved fans.