Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

UDFA Davin Meggett, RB, Maryland

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
There has been a lot of buzz about some of our UDFA pickups, and for good reason- we got some players that a lot of us had thought a lot of prior to the draft. However, I am absolutely stunned that little-to-none of this chatter has been about Davin Meggett, who I believe will become the player from this UDFA class that we remember the most (for good reasons, at least. Dwight Jones may be remembered as well).

Combine/Pro Day measurements (source: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83704&draftyear=2012&genpos=rb)
Height: 5’8” Weight: 211 lbs
40 Yard Dash: 4.53 (Combine), 4.44 (Pro Day)
20 Yard Split: 2.57 (Pro Day) 10 Yard Split: 1.53 (Pro Day)
Vertical Jump: 35” (Combine) Broad Jump: 9’10” (Combine)
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.32 (Combine) 3-Cone: 7.14 (Combine)
Bench Reps: 23

Stats (source: http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/382051/davin-meggett)
2008-09 2009-10 2010-11 2011-12
Rush Attempts 89 99 126 171
Rush Yards 457 338 720 896
Rush Average 5.1 3.4 5.7 5.2
Rush TD 4 6 4 4
Receptions 9 14 6 17
Receiving Yards 79 175 59 141
Receiving Average 8.8 12.5 9.8 8.3
Receiving TD 0 1 0 1

Playing Style (Source: Personal Observation)
Meggett fits the Texans’ style of one cut and go perfectly. He runs with excellent pad level, and is not shy of getting hit. He falls forward when tackled, often gaining an extra yard or two. I do worry about ball security, as he occasionally seems to struggle when switching the ball to the outside arm. He displays plus hands out of the backfield, and is a willing blocker, sometimes to a fault. I had a 5th round grade on him after the scouting season.

Other:
The son of former NFLer Dave Meggett, Davin Meggett has the bloodlines to make it in this league. And despite his father’s conviction and subsequent jail time, he seems very comfortable in his own skin and is poised when answering questions. Meggett served as team captain last year, and by all accounts seems like a great kid. His lack of production at the NCAA level is due to the multi-back system that Maryland employs, but I consider this to be a blessing, as it reduces the amount of wear and tear on his body.

Projection:
I think Meggett makes the roster out of camp by taking Ward’s spot on the roster, and I think he easily outstrips Ward’s production of 154 yards on 45 carries and 2 TDs. In an ideal world, Foster receives 275 carries, Tate receives another 175 and Meggett sees the rock around 50. This trio could easily total 2,500 yards next season.

Hard to get excited about this guy. Some reports say he isnt a very good blocker. But we will see how he does in camp.We do need a 3rd.

I like the blood line ("look at that little megget run!") but when I looked him up the report on him said he wasn't a good blocker and he was slow.

The "slow" part seems at odds with his 40 time. His cone and shuttle times aren't blazing fast.

But if you think he's good, then I'm excited about him.

I stuck Grimes on my predicted roster because I figured one of these guys would make it but I wasn't sure which one and I didn't what I had read about Meggett.

Where are you guys reading the blocking thing? He is not a dominant blocker, but what RB is? He throws his body in there, and buys some time for his QB.

As for speed- he is not a burner, but he is not slow. I dont think he plays to the 4.44 time, but the 4.53 time seems pretty accurate to me.

Where are you guys reading the blocking thing? He is not a dominant blocker, but what RB is? He throws his body in there, and buys some time for his QB.

As for speed- he is not a burner, but he is not slow. I dont think he plays to the 4.44 time, but the 4.53 time seems pretty accurate to me.

http://cache.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/davin-meggett-8/

Negatives:
Lacks ideal height. Tight hips. Has below-average timed speed. Average vision and instincts. Wastes movement going east and west. Not elusive or creative. Minimal receiving production (lets throws into his body). Limited base strength as a blocker and will duck his head and whiff.

I watched some film of Meggett and Grimes and I think I like Grimes a little more. I liked what Meggett did, but if I had to make a comparison I'd say Meggett is more like Tate and Grimes is more like Foster.

Grimes seemed to have the better vision and ability to make people miss while Meggett seemed like a more powerful runner that could eat up yards when in the open field. He seemed like he had pretty good straight line speed, but not the shiftiest guy.

I probably saw it in the same place. Here's the summary of that report:

Short, thickly built, between-the-tackles runner who was a steady, durable player for the Terps, but did not take his game to another level with a more prominent role as a senior. Does not excel as a receiver, blocker or return man to compensate for his lack of size and average athletic traits. NFL pedigree could improve his chances.

That was what turned me off. He's got to be able to block and he's got to be able to catch in this offense.

That is interesting guys. I never saw that problem.

Just checked a couple sites- http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630318/davin-meggett and http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=36177 and both agree with me on the blocking and receiving issues.

I guess we will see come camp, but I think you guys are going to be (pleasantly) surprised.

Well, I trust you more than a lot of these sites and after reading what you said, I checked out several other sites and didn't see anyone else mention this blocking issue.

So I've got high hopes for him going into camp.

Well, I trust you more than a lot of these sites and after reading what you said, I checked out several other sites and didn't see anyone else mention this blocking issue.

So I've got high hopes for him going into camp.

I just watch him play against Clemson and Fla St.
(Both of these teams have better D line than the Terps can match.)

If anything, I'd say the opposite is true.
He's a willing and able blocker.
I was especially impressed by the Clemson game.

He took on a DE twice (by himself) with good result.
He helped different linemen several times (at least a dozen times).
He threw his body around and took advantage of his low base well.
He blocked well downfield.
On one play, he took out two defenders with a wicked cut block.

I'm going to watch more of him, but so far I like the kid.
Looks like a good downhll runner, too.

Hard to get excited about this guy. Some reports say he isnt a very good blocker. But we will see how he does in camp.We do need a 3rd.
I remember when people read some of the Dom Davis scouting reports and just blew him off right off the bat. He'll get a chance to shine or fail.

Outside of the crazy unis, there has not been much to watch from Maryland football over the last few years. I did catch two or three games during that time and megget stuck in my head because he had the NFL playing father. Nothing about his game stuck with me.

Came off as stocky (nice word), and slow to the hole even though his overall numbers worked. Not excited, but the 'system' has made gotten enough from other dudes who did not seem to be anything interesting to me.

I just watch him play against Clemson and Fla St.
(Both of these teams have better D line than the Terps can match.)

If anything, I'd say the opposite is true.
He's a willing and able blocker.
I was especially impressed by the Clemson game.

He took on a DE twice (by himself) with good result.
He helped different linemen several times (at least a dozen times).
He threw his body around and took advantage of his low base well.
He blocked well downfield.
On one play, he took out two defenders with a wicked cut block.

I'm going to watch more of him, but so far I like the kid.
Looks like a good downhll runner, too.

How did he look as a receiver out of the backfield? Did he catch any passes? We don't need another Vickers going all stone-hands on us at the worst possible moment when the game is on the line.

How did he look as a receiver out of the backfield? Did he catch any passes? We don't need another Vickers going all stone-hands on us at the worst possible moment when the game is on the line.

I really doubt Meggett would be in the game late in the 4th or 2nd, over Foster and Tate. I would be surprised if our 3rd RB gets in for more than 10 plays.

I really doubt Meggett would be in the game late in the 4th or 2nd, over Foster and Tate. I would be surprised if our 3rd RB gets in for more than 10 plays.

Well.

Great.

You just jinxed the hell out of that.

Even so, IF he wants to play in this offense, he's go to be able to play the whole offense, and that means catching the ball.

I've liked what I read about Grimes more than what I've read about Meggett.

It's interesting that you say he is perfect for our system, reports that I read said he is a dancer who isn't decisive and when he does cut tends to run into the back of his blocking.

I haven't seen either of them though so I find all feedback interesting.

It's interesting that you say he is perfect for our system, reports that I read said he is a dancer who isn't decisive and when he does cut tends to run into the back of his blocking.

Grimes is a good back in his own right. I just happen to like Meggett's skill set better. If he ends up getting the call I would not be disappointed.

As for the dancing thing, I think that idea stems from his sophomore season. He did try to get fancy that year, and it cost him. As a Junior he got back hitting the hole hard, and then as a Senior he was even more decisive.

What is strange to me is that he even tried dancing to begin with. While he is not not agile (unagile? inagile?), he is not a guy who can break a defensive player's ankles. How he played his last 2 seasons is perfect for his skill set.

Outside of the crazy unis, there has not been much to watch from Maryland football over the last few years. I did catch two or three games during that time and megget stuck in my head because he had the NFL playing father. Nothing about his game stuck with me.

Came off as stocky (nice word), and slow to the hole even though his overall numbers worked. Not excited, but the 'system' has made gotten enough from other dudes who did not seem to be anything interesting to me.

I prefer the term "husky". Yes my mom bought me Toughskins at Sears.

this is the best group of camp bodies in Texan history, depth everywhere so its going to be tough for him to make the roster more likely practice squad material. He is very durable & team captain. Like mentioned great bloodlines. He can also return kick-offs, good sized hands for only 5082.

I remember when people read some of the Dom Davis scouting reports and just blew him off right off the bat. He'll get a chance to shine or fail.

Sounds good to me. I was kinda hoping we would be able to snag LaMichael James late in the draft. But he went very early. 3rd I think.

I watched 2 more games: Towson and W. Virginia.
More of the same. Good blockings. And he will take blitzing LBs head-on, too.

He caught a total of 8 passes in these 4 games, including 3 difficult catches.
He didn't catch 2 difficult throws his way; one was low, one was a little bit out of his reach. I don't think I can call those drops.

So at least, he doesn't appear to have "bad" hands.

About fumbling, he averaged once every 66 plus touches (per PFW), roughly the same as LaMichael James, Isaiah Pead, Dan Herron, Doug Martin, and better than Chris Rainey; I don't think we can classify a red flag in this department either.

I see a runner with good vision who when he decides to make his move, he hits another gear to make that move.

3rd string RB who could eventually be Arian Foster's backup if the Texans receive a good trade offer for Ben Tate down the road. I have no doubts that Davin Meggett will make the team this year. He's a total beast.

I prefer a bigger back with 5'11 & 220+range. I would be looking for a replacement back not a rotational back. We pick up an excellent FB in UDFA and I'd rather get a cheap Vet to be our insurance policy.

Video highlights of the Maryland-Miami (FL) game on Labor Day of 2011.

There's about four or five plays involving Meggett running the ball or catching the ball. There is a play early on where he chips a DL during a pass play, yeah...it wasn't a crucial block or anything BUT he dove in there and made contact for the hell of it and I like that a lot!

He has that Ben Tate look to him, IMO. Low center of gravity, quick shift of the hips but he's always moving forward while changing direction. He looks smaller than Tate. He just looks like his dad, tbh.

Lost his helmet twice, so apparently he has something in common with Steve Slaton too.

I haven't seen either of them though so I find all feedback interesting.

Kiwi, there's a bunch of videos on Grimes out there.
It looks to me he's running a bit upright.

Meggett has a jump cut that makes it look like he was dancing.
I've watched 6 of his games so far, and I saw a guy who can identify the hole for the most part.

For his career, his rushing average was better than Grimes even though the latter played in the FCS.

Grimes was used to catch the ball out of the backfield more, but we don't know how well he blocked while Meggett was a very good blocker in college.

Besides what I've described, another play stood out to me.
Meggett came out of the tackle box to take on a blitzing safety.
He jacked the safety up, and sent him flying.
As the guy tried to get up, Meggett came back and decked him onto the ground again, and then pancaked him.
I like how Meggett "finished" his block.

It will be an interesting camp.

Nah, he did much better than the other two backs on the team this past year.

The year before, he actually had more carries (126-720yds) than the "featured back" Da'rel Scott (122-708 yards), with Scott being one year older.

Maryland entered the 2010 season with Scott and Meggett sharing time as the number-one running back. Head coach Friedgen said, "At this point in time, I would say Scott and Meggett are 1A and 1B."

Scott has the same built 5'11 - 211 lbs, but has break-away speed (4.4, and as low as 4.29 per nfldraftscout. - He ran a 4.34 at the combine.)
He was drafted in the 7th by the Giants.

The knock on Scott:
"Lacking as an inside runner, short-yardage and goal line back, and in pass protection. Is not a three-down load back. Scott's natural playmaking abilities should make him a day 3 selection."

Scott, a seventh-round pick last year, had a huge preseason that included a 97-yard touchdown run against the Chicago Bears on Monday Night Football, a 65-yard touchdown on a fake punt against the Patriots and 114 yards rushing against New England. But during the regular season, he had only five carries for 16 yards while returning 14 kicks for an average of 24.4 yards per attempt.
Scott, who fumbled on a run in the blowout loss to the Saints, seemed like he was simply trying to navigate his way through his rookie season.

Back