UDFA Davin Meggett, RB, Maryland

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by rmartin65, May 1, 2012.

1. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

There has been a lot of buzz about some of our UDFA pickups, and for good reason- we got some players that a lot of us had thought a lot of prior to the draft. However, I am absolutely stunned that little-to-none of this chatter has been about Davin Meggett, who I believe will become the player from this UDFA class that we remember the most (for good reasons, at least. Dwight Jones may be remembered as well).

Combine/Pro Day measurements (source: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83704&draftyear=2012&genpos=rb)
    Height: 5’8” Weight: 211 lbs
    40 Yard Dash: 4.53 (Combine), 4.44 (Pro Day)
    20 Yard Split: 2.57 (Pro Day) 10 Yard Split: 1.53 (Pro Day)
    Vertical Jump: 35” (Combine) Broad Jump: 9’10” (Combine)
    20 Yard Shuttle: 4.32 (Combine) 3-Cone: 7.14 (Combine)
    Bench Reps: 23

Stats (source: http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/382051/davin-meggett)
    2008-09 2009-10 2010-11 2011-12
    Rush Attempts 89 99 126 171
    Rush Yards 457 338 720 896
    Rush Average 5.1 3.4 5.7 5.2
    Rush TD 4 6 4 4
    Receptions 9 14 6 17
    Receiving Yards 79 175 59 141
    Receiving Average 8.8 12.5 9.8 8.3
    Receiving TD 0 1 0 1

Playing Style (Source: Personal Observation)
    Meggett fits the Texans’ style of one cut and go perfectly. He runs with excellent pad level, and is not shy of getting hit. He falls forward when tackled, often gaining an extra yard or two. I do worry about ball security, as he occasionally seems to struggle when switching the ball to the outside arm. He displays plus hands out of the backfield, and is a willing blocker, sometimes to a fault. I had a 5th round grade on him after the scouting season.

Other:
    The son of former NFLer Dave Meggett, Davin Meggett has the bloodlines to make it in this league. And despite his father’s conviction and subsequent jail time, he seems very comfortable in his own skin and is poised when answering questions. Meggett served as team captain last year, and by all accounts seems like a great kid. His lack of production at the NCAA level is due to the multi-back system that Maryland employs, but I consider this to be a blessing, as it reduces the amount of wear and tear on his body.

Projection:
    I think Meggett makes the roster out of camp by taking Ward’s spot on the roster, and I think he easily outstrips Ward’s production of 154 yards on 45 carries and 2 TDs. In an ideal world, Foster receives 275 carries, Tate receives another 175 and Meggett sees the rock around 50. This trio could easily total 2,500 yards next season.

76Texan likes this.
  2. Blake

Blake MMQB

Hard to get excited about this guy. Some reports say he isnt a very good blocker. But we will see how he does in camp.We do need a 3rd.

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I like the blood line ("look at that little megget run!") but when I looked him up the report on him said he wasn't a good blocker and he was slow.

The "slow" part seems at odds with his 40 time. His cone and shuttle times aren't blazing fast.

But if you think he's good, then I'm excited about him.

I stuck Grimes on my predicted roster because I figured one of these guys would make it but I wasn't sure which one and I didn't what I had read about Meggett.

4. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Where are you guys reading the blocking thing? He is not a dominant blocker, but what RB is? He throws his body in there, and buys some time for his QB.

As for speed- he is not a burner, but he is not slow. I dont think he plays to the 4.44 time, but the 4.53 time seems pretty accurate to me.

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

http://cache.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/davin-meggett-8/

6. Rey

Rey Guest

I watched some film of Meggett and Grimes and I think I like Grimes a little more. I liked what Meggett did, but if I had to make a comparison I'd say Meggett is more like Tate and Grimes is more like Foster.

Grimes seemed to have the better vision and ability to make people miss while Meggett seemed like a more powerful runner that could eat up yards when in the open field. He seemed like he had pretty good straight line speed, but not the shiftiest guy.

7. The Pencil Neck

I probably saw it in the same place. Here's the summary of that report:

That was what turned me off. He's got to be able to block and he's got to be able to catch in this offense.

8. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

9. The Pencil Neck

Well, I trust you more than a lot of these sites and after reading what you said, I checked out several other sites and didn't see anyone else mention this blocking issue.

So I've got high hopes for him going into camp.

10. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I just watch him play against Clemson and Fla St.
    (Both of these teams have better D line than the Terps can match.)

If anything, I'd say the opposite is true.
    He's a willing and able blocker.
    I was especially impressed by the Clemson game.

He took on a DE twice (by himself) with good result.
    He helped different linemen several times (at least a dozen times).
    He threw his body around and took advantage of his low base well.
    He blocked well downfield.
    On one play, he took out two defenders with a wicked cut block.

I'm going to watch more of him, but so far I like the kid.
    Looks like a good downhll runner, too.

11. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

I think he has the best chance at winning the third spot if we don't sign a vet RB. Hopes he plays well enough in TC.

12. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I remember when people read some of the Dom Davis scouting reports and just blew him off right off the bat. He'll get a chance to shine or fail.

13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Outside of the crazy unis, there has not been much to watch from Maryland football over the last few years. I did catch two or three games during that time and megget stuck in my head because he had the NFL playing father. Nothing about his game stuck with me.

Came off as stocky (nice word), and slow to the hole even though his overall numbers worked. Not excited, but the 'system' has made gotten enough from other dudes who did not seem to be anything interesting to me.

14. The Pencil Neck

How did he look as a receiver out of the backfield? Did he catch any passes? We don't need another Vickers going all stone-hands on us at the worst possible moment when the game is on the line.

15. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

I really doubt Meggett would be in the game late in the 4th or 2nd, over Foster and Tate. I would be surprised if our 3rd RB gets in for more than 10 plays.

16. The Pencil Neck

Well.

Great.

You just jinxed the hell out of that.

Even so, IF he wants to play in this offense, he's go to be able to play the whole offense, and that means catching the ball.

17. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I've liked what I read about Grimes more than what I've read about Meggett.

It's interesting that you say he is perfect for our system, reports that I read said he is a dancer who isn't decisive and when he does cut tends to run into the back of his blocking.

I haven't seen either of them though so I find all feedback interesting.

18. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Grimes is a good back in his own right. I just happen to like Meggett's skill set better. If he ends up getting the call I would not be disappointed.

As for the dancing thing, I think that idea stems from his sophomore season. He did try to get fancy that year, and it cost him. As a Junior he got back hitting the hole hard, and then as a Senior he was even more decisive.

What is strange to me is that he even tried dancing to begin with. While he is not not agile (unagile? inagile?), he is not a guy who can break a defensive player's ankles. How he played his last 2 seasons is perfect for his skill set.

19. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

I prefer the term "husky". Yes my mom bought me Toughskins at Sears.

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

this is the best group of camp bodies in Texan history, depth everywhere so its going to be tough for him to make the roster more likely practice squad material. He is very durable & team captain. Like mentioned great bloodlines. He can also return kick-offs, good sized hands for only 5082.