Tytus Howard = Duane Brown 2.0???

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by throwANDREtheBALL, Apr 26, 2019.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

beerlover likes this.
  3. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

But what do they know.

4. CloakNNNdagger

But what do they know..........Date of article Feb 28 2019..........essentially before the Combine, before visits..................Kyler Murray at #38 to mention one example.

5. infantrycak

And after all that, the Eagles moved up for him, err, Dillard.

It was a cute story about former QBs gone OT. The team with the most experience/success at that took a hard pass.

Speedy likes this.
  6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Mentioned a couple times after the pick, for one that Philly took Dillard (not that I blame them, but I do) because Howard is actually a better fit and more seamless transfer of position from Peters. Their power blocking and movement skills are mirror images.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  7. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I saw that too but they did pick Ferrill at #4.
    Still has no bearing on what may yet be for any rookie.

CWTexansFan and CloakNNNdagger like this.
  8. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

As ATXtexanfan said:
    Howard didn't have the same quality of coaches as D. Brown, nor did he have the same trainers to get ready for the combine. If he had had the same trainers as the big school OT's that were invited to the combine, his times would most likely have been better. Considering what he did in the Auburn game, and the Senior Bowl, he did without having the best coaches.

CWTexansFan and CloakNNNdagger like this.
  9. infantrycak

People keep saying this. Do you know it or assume it? Families (or let's be honest agents and that is school independent) from programs big to small hire combine coaches. I have no idea who coached him. Do y'all?

10. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I mean it’s not like we’re starting a shuttle and 3 cone competition team. WGAS?

CWTexansFan likes this.

11. CloakNNNdagger

This pre-Draft video clip/interview below (a DallasCowboys.com presentation) demonstrates his undeniable intelligence. Especially interesting is how he explains playing QB was invaluable to him developing as a top offensive tackle. His ability to intellectually and concisely translate his thoughts into words reminds me much of Duane Brown...........probably a trait that attracted the Texans to both.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Preparing To Go Pro: Tytus Howard
    With the NFL Draft on its way, these college athletes have been doing everything to stand out. In the first episode of the "Preparing To Go Pro" series, Dani Sureck informs us what Alabama State's T Tytus Howard can bring to the table.

pirbroke and AngryNateFTW like this.
  12. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Fans make all types of assumptions when it comes to the NFL draft and players.

It's what most of us mere mortals do.

Akin to proclaiming that one player will be better than the other before a game has even been played.

:coffee:

13. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I remember C&D saying something about how small-school guys don't usually have the benefit of precombine tutelage that many big school guys do.
    I believe he said something along those lines ?

14. CloakNNNdagger

Howard was represented by First Round Management (the Kawa brothers) which was essentially an MMA fighter sports agent until 2017........in 2018, the represented a total of 9 NFL players going into the Draft (no 1st round picks)

2017 draftee Browns David Njoku TE- somewhat above average pff 66

2017 draftee 49ers Ruben Foster LB pff started off good in 2017 with pff 90...........then after the 2 suspensions in 2018, his performance deteriorated to pff 42.9

2017 draftee Cleveland LB B J BELLO was undrafted in 2017......picked up in 2018...........at best, an ave LB.............pff 60

2017 2nd rnd draftee:
    Jalen 'Teez' Tabor literally can't grade out any worse this NFL season (PFF 32)
    MICHAEL WAYNE BRATTON | 6 MONTHS AGO

The Kawa brothers have admitted that they have made their share of mistakes in transitioning themselves and their players into the NFL. I have no doubt that Howard did not get the best guidance he could have gotten.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Most of this stuff is over my head. But, I believe money talks. Those guys coaching up Athletes for the draft ain't doing it out of charity.

A guy might get some of that coaching on credit if there is reason to believe he'll be a 1st round pick. Especially a high 1st round pick.

A guy coming out of SWAC, not so much.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  16. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

It will be interesting to see how TH advances with some pro style coaching, tips and conditioning.
    I hope he takes to it all and has a rapid transition.

17. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

I was referencing coaching at pro level. Till our goons actually develop guys on the oline I'll be skeptical. I get he has tools. But I swear if I see him bouncing all over the line I'll shake my head.

Long way to go to be DB 2.0.

santo and infantrycak like this.
  18. infantrycak

Can someone point to the jack-of-no-trades approach resulting in a dominant OL?

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  19. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Yeah OB, then he'll tell you about how he needs to coach better. Then the entire staff needs to coach better. Then he'll tell you about the great group of guys we have in the locker room.

It's called redirection. Teachers use this method in preK and elementary schools.

We the toddlers because we just dont know how hard it is to win in this league.

Couldnt resist lol

76Texan, santo, CWTexansFan and 2 others like this.
  20. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The only OLmen (much less line) I can think of who was a Hall-of-fame Jack of all trades was Bruce Matthews

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce...ootball)#1983–1986:_Guard,_center,_and_tackle

I am pretty sure there are some really good dudes who finished a game out of position or even a handful of weeks, but as a core concept, I think this is very recent 5 to 10 years and done to an extreme in the Texans case.

ATXtexanfan likes this.