Two Back offense

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by AlbinoRat, Feb 22, 2006.

1. AlbinoRat

AlbinoRat Veteran

Say we get Reggie Bush. Does anyone know of any offenses that use two half backs in the backfield. That could take pressure off of carr and open up the passing game, with davis and bush both capable of catching passes and getting yardage.

2. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I don't know official names for the schemes, but I know I've seen two back offenses in the NFL.

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

worked for ronnie brown and cadillac williams at auburn, but didn't work for brown/ricky williams in miami and cadillac/michael pittman in tampa bay

4. AlbinoRat

AlbinoRat Veteran

I'm talking about having them both in the backfield. At Auburn, Brown normally lined up at wide receiver or somewhere away from Cadallac.

5. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

I'm gonna have to disagree with you with the ronnie/ricky thing

ronnie-907 yrds
    williams-743 yrds
    total: 1650 yrds

that's not a bad running game if you ask me

and pittman and williams combined for 1614

so i wouldn't go so far to say they didn't work, and it was brown and williams are both rookies so those numbers would get better next season

6. Eyeguy

Eyeguy Veteran

D. Davis at RB and R. Bush and A.J. @ WR on 2nd down will be difficult to defense.

7. CITY CAT

CITY CAT Veteran

I know Seattle runs the splitbacks formation a lot, not the same thing though. When Kubiak was in Denver though he used many different RBs, so having Bush and Davis get thier oppurtunities really shouldn't be a problem.

8. thetexanator

thetexanator All Pro

theres already a team that runs the two back offence, ATLANTA. hahahhahaaahaha

9. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

yeah duckett and dunn

10. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Well typically in a two back system you have a big strong powerback and a smaller nimble speed back. See the SuperBowl champion Steelers. Bettis as the brusing powerback and Willie as the speedy nimbler back. It is much harder to run when you have two small backs, or 2 brusing powerbacks.

11. thetexanator

thetexanator All Pro

no my man, vick and dunn

12. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

Not really this is the NFL it might work a couple of times but that is it. if its possible to shut down Harrison and wayne and edge and with a great QB at that. imagine our package with a mediocre QB:stirpot:

13. TXurias

TXurias Rookie

What about in DD and Bush in the backfield in a shotgun formation. Dre and Gaffney at WR with Dominque Byrd at TE.

14. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    A lot of teams have two RB offenses - but its not very often they have them on the field at the same time.

I still see a need for Moran Norris to be in as a blocker if run play is called as I dont think blocking is the strength of either Bush or DD.

The problem you then have is if both on the field then the opposing defence will automatically set up to defend a pass.

One of the other posts mentioned the Seahawks split backs formation, typically they keep in the FB Mack Strong and use Mo Morris instead of Alexander in passing situations.

15. TXurias

TXurias Rookie

If u r in a Shotgun formation you can still run draws, sweeps and maybe a few direct snaps to either Bush or DD. But in the I or offset formations u definetly need FB in there..

16. College Texan

College Texan Veteran

We could run a wishbone offense

17. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I could see us running the two-back system (two RBs on the field at the same time) if we drafted Lendale White. As far as Williams/Brown, my understanding was that they were not lining up on the field at the same time. They were switching out between plays.

Where it gets cool for the Texans is that DD is already a receiving RB. Adding another receiving RB gives Carr another target. The big question is: will they block?

18. cap1

cap1 All Pro

Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson.

It worked in Tecmo Bowl. That running game was unstoppable:superman:

19. TreWardTxn

TreWardTxn Veteran

The closest we'll ever have to both DD and RB being on the field at the same time would be if Bush proves he can play the slot in a singleback offense. All other running formations require a FB that can lead a tailback through the hole...

20. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

we're talking about both backs being on the field at the SAME TIME. obviously splitting carries they did fine