Turning Point & Adjustments

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Sep 10, 2013.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

What did you see? When did the game turn around & why?

Not just the big plays, but why was the Texans able to drive the field & score with "relative" ease in the second half compared to the first?

How was the defense able to
    [IMGwidthsize=350]http://www.marketmenot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/yahoo-fantasy-football-jj-watt-shut-you-down-commercial.jpg[/IMG]

Shut you down!!!

In the second half, but couldn't get a stop in the first?

2. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Special teams penalty vs SD on the fg stands out.

3. speedfreek

speedfreek Hall of Fame

Defense put it together, Rivers folded like a lawn chair -- Texans
    O got rolling when they were given posession after possession
    in rapid succession.

SD pass rush ran out of gas being on the field so much in the 4th

TJ

4. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

1. Ball control for the Texans offense and wearing down of the Chargers D.

2. Stopping the Chargers on 3rd down, something the Texans could not do in the first half.

3. It cannot be understated the importance of me moving from the recliner to the end of the sofa midway through the 3rd quarter.

dc_txtech and b0ng like this.
  5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think that was the biggest adjustment. I did the same thing, moved from the couch in my living room to the couch in my bed room.....

I think we shifted the gravitational pull more towards Reliant by doing so.

:specnatz:

6. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

Heard on the radio this morning: once we down 28 - 7, the defense gave up 10 yards.

So as pitiful as it looked in the beginning our defense is currently ranked 6th.

7. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Yup their last 5 drives netted 10 yards total

8. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

holy cow. that's impressive.

9. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I too made the shift from recliner to bedroom after the Chargers opening 3rd quarter score. I was pissed while making the shift too

10. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I think the pressure just wore down Rivers. On a lot of our defensive plays--even the ones where good things happened for SD (e.g. the V. Brown TD)--we had pressure in Rivers' face. I think at some point that started to affect him mentally.

I didn't perceive any change in strategy on our part (though that's not to say there wasn't one), I just saw it more as (a) our players found their groove and (b) the pressure started affecting Rivers.

I think the game turned one Keo's hit on Royal and then Manning's block on the ensuing punt. Those were two tone setting plays and, to me, thing started to snowball in our favor at that point.

11. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

Defensively, they stopped being so darn predictable with the heavy blitz man to man coverage. Wade put his stubborn ways aside and mixed the coverage more in the second half with some of that man and some zone. They also didn't show their blitz so openly and faked blitz as well. It was a better mixture and not so darn blatantly obvious. Wade was my biggest frustration during that horrible start. Glad he finally adjusted. It's the type of defense I expected especially when Reed is in the centerfield.

12. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

This!:swatter: Plus a dose of Andre & DeAndre helped on offense!

13. sandman

sandman Hall of Fame

While the Chargers scored on four of their first six drives (granted, one "drive" was a 14 yard TD pass), they netted a total of 1 first down on all of their non-scoring drive plays combined. I think it was a six play drive that ended in a punt, 5 three-and-outs and one interception.

It looked worse than what it was there for a while, but they were playing Mark Maguire football. Batting .200 with either a home run or a strike out. And with the law of averages, you are going to strike out a whole lot more.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Well it did not change when my buddy took off his Texans hat thinking he had jinxed as he has not worn it before but when it was 28-7 and I said "this is pathetic and I will not waste sleeping time to watch crappy play. If they don't score a TD this drive, I'm going home" and they scored.

Actually, I believe it changed in the dressing room at half time when coaches probably went nuts. I know I saw Watts on side line yelling "I told you!" like ten times after that score.

15. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

I went outside with 2 minutes to go in the first half to drink a beer, then I drank another, and then the 3rd started and I finished the game sitting outside listening and drinking beer. The importance of the switch can't be overlooked

16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I think the coaches study so hard on how to get a team ready for a game & what strategies to use that they have a hard time giving up on the original plan and trying something else.

Having said that, I've seen them come out and do something that they should've known was NOT the best plan of action, because all of the rest of us knew it before the game ever started, but that's been a few years ago.

17. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I'm going to say the key game winning adjustment was my pants coming off right after the 4th Rivers TD.

18. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Cant remember much of the second half, but it seemed Duane was getting abused by Freeney in the first half, and I assume it got better during the comeback.

19. ThaJokaa

ThaJokaa True Texans Fan

I thank you for taking off your pants which lead to us making a comeback, let me buy you a beer

20. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Hmm, I moved from the recliner to the couch for the second half as the Wife wanted a foot rub.