Turn to ESPN right now: 1st and 10 to discuss Carr extension

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Feb 10, 2006.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

Turn to ESPN cable channel now 2:49 p.m. to see discussion on extension and its possible implications.

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

Skip Bayless thinks McNair granted Kubiak and Reeves' decision to retain Carr, but that McNair will supposedly pressure Reeves and Kubiak to trade Carr and draft Vince Young. Bayless says he has Texans sources who claim Carr has "zero" leadership skills, and that Young is a natural leader. Bayless also says several NFL sources agree that Carr will never be more than a "pretty good" NFL QB.

Woody Paige counters by saying that the Texans will draft Bush. Paige says that McNair will rely on his talent evaluators (Kubiak and Reeves) who have recommended to retain Carr. Paige says the Denver o line has always been undersized, and that Kubiak and "the new o line coach and assistant coach" will improve that team with different blocking schemes, and that Kubiak wants a loaded backfield with Bush on board (as I have stated over and over, by the way). Paige ends it by saying that Bush is a quicker "get better" solution than going with Vince Young. He says he understands "why" Houston would get want to get Vince Young, but he believes Bush is the more stable route to go.

Let the mud slinging begin...

3. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

So they both read this board, flipped a coin to take one side or the other, and repeated what has been said here countless times?

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Skip Clueless has inside sources with the Texans?! :confused:

Fire those sources! Not for giving out information, but for giving out information to Skip!! :dangit:

Mr. McNair has said time and time again that he hires the professionals and lets them do their jobs. I just don't see him being the puppetmaster that so many folks seem to portray. I'm sure he will part of the decision making process about our no. 1 pick, but I just can't fathom that he's basing his coaching decisions on keeping one freakin' player.

Bayless needs to stay on his gig with "Old Pizza". His usefulness on ESPN is marginal, at best (and I enjoy him as an entertainer, but his analytical skills have little to be desired, IMO).

5. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Sice when did anybody take what thsoe two yahoo's said seriously. I mean c'mon Skip and Woody are more about the E in ESPN not the N.

6. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Toss the janitorial staff. Someone has been spilling closely guarded secrets ... :spy: Seriously though, I think Skip and Miss Cleo are working together ...

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I did not hear the interview, but I have heard Bayless and Paige and it usually sound something like this:

Bayless: Quack! Quack! Quack!

Paige: Caaaaawww! Caaaaaaw! Caaaaaaaw!

Tools should be kept in the toolbox.

TexanBacker93 likes this.
  8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Dont you mean Ca Ca?

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I believe it could be used in that form. I think I will need a judge's ruling. :)

10. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I dislike Skip Bayless more than any other guy on ESPN. The guy's about as cocky as TO and half the time knows nothing about sports. I don't like Woody Paige either which is why I don't watch 1st and 10. Whatever Skip Bayless says is usually a bunch of cow poop.

11. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I also forgot to comment on this. There aren't many "elite" QB's in the NFL. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer. There are plenty of "pretty good" QB's in the NFL. David Carr turning into a pretty good QB wouldn't bother me one bit. It's not like it's a sure thing Vince Young will be an automatic Hall of Famer.

12. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

I believe the original Portuguese dialect used the shortened version of the Latin form of Caaaawraaap. Being frugal with their words...the Portuguese Monks dropped the ending off the word thus giving us our current term Ca Ca.

13. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

It was just on "Around the Horn" in the "buy or sell" portion of the show.

1 guy sold.. and his arguement wasnt very good either :P..basicly he said that the team has only won 16 games under Carr so why keep him.

the other three guys bought.. and they brought up the usual arguements.. lack of a line... completed over 60% of his passes. They also said that Kubiak is the perfect Coach to have for Carr and that Kubiak will make him a good QB.

funny: Woody Paige had a little chalkboard behind him with a picture drawn of Oswald the Rabbit on it :)

14. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Don't forget Drew Brees, not too long ago he was about to get ran out of town and S.D. even drafted Rivers. And the Brees turned it around and went to a Pro Bowl. Just sayin', it's possible.

15. zeplin

zeplin Veteran

\\\

But which one is going to be Tails or A--.

What the heck do these guys know? They know nothing that they did not read on this board.
    :homer:

16. c5demon

c5demon Rookie

Is this ESPN version of a good guy bad guy skit?

17. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

I cannot believe that I am going to advocate for Woody Paige. However, Paige did cover the Broncos in Denver for 20+ years, he has a relationship with Kubiak and Reeves. I can tell you he has a great deal more sources inside the Texans organization then Bayless.

Bayless has been a Carr hater for a while. However, if Carr is a "pretty good" quarterback with Bush, DD, and AJ - I will take this. Big Ben and Matt Hasslebeck are "pretty good" quarterbacks who just finished playing in the super bowl. It is not about who is going to be the best individual talent, but what pick will maximizes the value to the TEAM.

I agree with one thing Bayless said, Carr has very little leadership skills. He has to stop going home to his wife at least once a month to hang with the fellas. He needs to take the big uglies out to eat after every win. If the Texans give up less than 35 sacks this year, he need to buy every lineman a rolex, etc.

18. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

Heck, if the line only gives up 35 sacks this year, I will chip in for those meals!

19. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Well it said in Sports Illustrated than Carr got all his lineman paint ball guns. I think it's tradition for QB's to get their O-line something, or that's the way SI portrayed it. I don't know how much of a buddy Carr is with any of his teammates but I don't think he's a total loner.

20. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

LOL, Skip Bayless is clueless. If there's anyone still unreasonably clinging to David Carr, it's McNair.