Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Tunsil - Thoughts after week 5

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Gouldo, Oct 7, 2019.

1. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Good points.

Looks like the team for next year is hoping to not lose many key players to free agency and to fill holes through vet min and the draft. I don't like drafting for need though.

We don't have the money to go out and get an upgrade in free agency.

They need to get extensions for Watson and tunsil done too, which will be the priority.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Just like the Colts did with their OL last yr.

This team will only go as far as Watson learning where blitzers are coming from and delivering the ball accurately can take them. After watching last weeks game 2 things were obvious, 1. The Falcons didn't blitz much. 2. A few of the routes were shorter, but Watson hit some long throws just as much as he hit the short routes. I hope Watson continues to learn and use the middle of the field.

Unfortunately he's a young QB and will continue to be inconsistent this yr. But hopefully he will be ready to roll in 2021. Time will tell. Like I've said in other threads I expect another really good week for Watson against a beat up Chiefs defense.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Do you like Peters more than what Roby has given the Texans this yr. I've been shocked that roby has played as well as he has this yr. (I guess getting out of a legal weed state has agreed with him.)

What kind of contract would you give Roby to retain him? He should get an upper level mid tier contract say 3 yrs 30 mil with 15 mil guaranteed or something like that. Not a Watt/Hopkins/Tunsil type contract. IMHO

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They have enough $$$$ to re-sign Reader for sure. If you had to choose between Mercilus (Big $$$$) or Roby (What kind of contract would you give him/think he will get?)

5. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

I definitely agree reader is the priority. I would be tempted to pay him then offer mercilus and Roby value deals. I don't think either of them is elite.

Mercilus is turning 30 so he might start declining anyway. Perhaps Martin can fill his spot.

Roby is a bigger need and younger, so I'd probably sign him first if he isn't too expensive.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

Agreed. I'm excited about the team now. Much better than what we thought was going to be the OL at the start of training camp.

Come draft day & we don't have a 1st, I'll be upset.

But today, I'm looking forward to Sunday. With hope.

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

We saw what a well protected Watson can do.

Double Barrel and CWTexansFan like this.
  8. amazing80

amazing80 Fire Billy O

I don’t like Martin but this past week Fulton was the weak link. He wasn’t able to get much push up front and struggled from getting pushed back in pass pro. Hopefully it’s because of the back and he gets better as he heals.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

As JB knows.............this is one of many articles that corrects the false narrative that was circulating just prior to the Draft.

No Laremy Tunsil Doesn’t Have a ‘Character’ Problem
    On Thursday night, top prospect Laremy Tunsil was picked later than expected leading many to claim it was because he had character issues.
    Allen Barra
    Updated 07.12.17 7:18PM ET / Published 04.29.16 9:20PM ET

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

Enough struggling to go around.

Someone posted a gif here were Seth Payne (or somebody) was gushing over Tunsil mauling a defender on a 3 or 4 yard run.

What I saw was Tunsil & Scharping screwing up a double team block. Had they played it better, even without the mauling, just blocking the RB could have gotten 7 yards untouched.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

I don't know if there's going to be a game thread, but I predict we lose to the Chiefs, 34-28.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

According to Spotrac they'll have $92m.

Best case is that they extend Watson and Tunsil but their payday's don't hit the cap until the following year.

Mercilus , Roby and Reader are the big three for next offseason.

Have to find another corner and see what it takes to keep Hyde but the cap situation for next offseason isn't dire. Cole & Johnson are RFA and there probably isn't a huge market for Fells being a 36 year old TE.

Now 2021 is going to be tougher with Watson , Tunsil , Fuller and Cunningham all coming up at the same time.

13. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Yeah it will be interesting to see how they will structure Watson and Tunsil contracts. Should be done before next season but they don't necessarily need to get big increases the first year.

Joseph and backup NT are also free agents.

$87m was from texanscap, not sure where the discrepancy is.

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They may have to let Fuller and Cunningham walk in 2021. They're replaceable. Not easily but replaceable. Unless the new CBA gets done and the cap goes up as much as I think it will. About 20 mil.

People forget that the Texans can get another 12 mil in cap space by letting JoJo walk. I would put that $$$$ towards re-signing Roby and draft a CB in a deep 2020 CB class to replace JoJo.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  15. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Stills is also a 2021 free agent.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They can find another WR to replace WFV. Look at the Raiders, they lost AB/Tyrell Williams is hurt and they traded for Trevor Davis (A fast guy) and Zay Jones and haven't missed a beat. (Late rd picks) They're changing the way they do business down on Kirby. (About time)

Do you think they can find another Stills type WR in trade in 2021? I do

CWTexansFan likes this.
  17. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

What will they trade?

I'd rather keep Fuller,I think he's an elite talent. I think Stills is pretty replaceable. They can just use Duke in the receiving game more

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I like WFV too, but if letting him go means keeping Reader/Roby/Mercilus then I'm on board with letting WFV walk.

19. Vince

Vince Rookie

thank you. I must have read a few of those character issue articles. I’m just glad he is bringing it!

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think Troy automatically deducts $5M for draft picks and in-season roster changes, but not sure