Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Tunsil - Thoughts after week 5

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Gouldo, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Dejaview

Dejaview All Pro

Texans would have spent a one trying to find a Tunsil in 2020. So 2021 will hinder the Texans for years to come? What about 2018?

steelbtexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  2. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

It was a bad trade. Especially when we dont develop O lineman under this staff. Doubt Tunsil becomes an all pro. However he is serviceable. If the goons on Kirby ruin him then we now have all we need to know about OB and Devlin.

I said all pro, not pro bowl.

TheKDog likes this.
  3. Earl34

Earl34 All Pro

Does anyone have the PFF grade on Duane Brown versus Tunsil?

4. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

I don't know about this year but going into this year they had Duane brown #8 and tunsil not in the top 10

5. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator Staff Member

D. Brown - 67.0 grade

L. Tunsil - 75.6 grade

You can just google them, btw..

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

This is my position as well.

steelbtexan likes this.
  7. Earl34

Earl34 All Pro

Thanks for posting. I thought you needed a subscription to PFF for access to the grades. Good to know.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    steelbtexan, JB and amazing80 like this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He's 25 yrs pld and already one of the best pass blocking OT's in the NFL. You dont think he can improve his run blocking?

I think he's done really well since he's only been here 5 weeks. The OL as a whole hasn't been bad since they're playing Tunsil (Who's still getting acclimated) and 2 rookies. They should get even better the more they play together. I still look at Martin as the weakness in the OL.

CWTexansFan and frethack like this.
  9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Mine too

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You have room under the cap to spend big $$$$ on 5 players. Who they spend it on is the key to having a successful franchise in the future.

I'm thinking they will spend the big $$$$ on Watson/Tunsil/Hopkins/Watt. Who's the 5th guy you would spend the $$$$ on, on the current roster or would you look into the FA market to sign a big $$$$ FA to fill a position of need?

Reader would be my 5th guy on the current roster and I love the job Mercilus has done this yr.

BTW, with the new CBA the cap may allow for 6-7 big $$$$ players.

CWTexansFan and maverick512000 like this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

The question may also come down to do what kind of team they want to be. Is it an offense focused team in which case I can see Fuller getting a nice pay day, assuming he stays healthy and plays like he did last week, and maybe Hyde or do they want more rounded in which case I agree it will be Reader or Mercilus. Really its still to early to see who is going to be the next person added to the "big contract" list. We should have a much better idea after the KC game. That's the first game where really everything will have to fire on all cylinders because even a hurt KC is still dangerous.

steelbtexan likes this.
  12. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Next year they have $87 million in capspace. Tunsil and Watson will take about $50 million unless they don't get bumps until 2021

That leaves $37 million to sign Reader, mercilus, Cole, Roderick, boths tarting corners, starting TE, starting RB.

Hard to see how they won't lose key players

ATXtexanfan likes this.
  13. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

Marcus Peters - if he actually hits the market. I want that 5th guy to be a #1 CB that deserves big bucks...

14. Vince

Vince Rookie

My bad, meant to type “had”. But some execs viewed him as having character issues, on account of the marijuana issue.

15. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Peters would represent a new litmus test standard if the founders son agreed to a player with his colorful resume as acceptable, since don't forget that the first time around
    Peters was off limits to the Texans and most other NFL franchises.

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Moderator Staff Member

You used the Rams and 49ers as examples. I just quoted you. Do you not stand by your own words?

". . .teams like the Rams, Seahawks, 49ers, and the Chiefs have been able to build up really strong teams under smaller contracts for their QB's." (I literally cut & pasted your team examples.)

That said, I agree with you that these franchises did a great job of stocking up talent, which is why McVay could come in an win immediately. Shanny has been working at it for a few years, and his team is 4-0 and playing well with a very balanced team. Chiefs and Seahawks are two of the best teams in the NFL.

And did the Chiefs really just get lucky with Mahomes when they specifically moved up to draft him? Their actions undermine your speculation.

You're putting words out there I never said. My point is that I don't have a lot of confidence in the Texans FO. Why should I?

They got proven talent with those picks. It's maybe 50/50 if the talent would have worked out if they used those picks in the draft, especially going without a GM.

At the end of the day, time will tell.

It's just a matter of chosen perspective, and it's okay if we disagree about it. I'm just not going to get worked up about my entertainment. It's fun to chat about, but just about everything here is speculations, assumptions, and opinions based on historical examples.

DocBar, JB, thunderkyss and 1 other person like this.
  17. frethack

frethack All Pro

Agree with your take on Tunsil. Still very expensive as far as draft capital, but we may have spent two 1sts trying to find someone of his caliber.

For me, the weakest link on the line is Scharping, but thats only because he is a rookie making rookie mistakes. There is no excuse for Martin, though he *is* improved this year.

18. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

My take.......it seems the Texans have the parts for a very good OL on the roster. They seem to be improving week to week which is a surprise since OB/Devlin have moved the pieces around each week. They can get much better and more consistent if OB maintains the modified offense that takes advantage of Watson's skill set (8 games) and locks his starting OL unit in and allows them to build continuity from week six through the playoffs.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You have room under the cap to spend big $$$$ on 5 players. Who they spend it on is the key to having a successful franchise in the future.

I'm thinking they will spend the big $$$$ on Watson/Tunsil/Hopkins/Watt. Who's the 5th guy you would spend the $$$$ on, on the current roster or would you look into the FA market to sign a big $$$$ FA to fill a position of need?

Reader would be my 5th guy on the current roster and I love the job Mercilus has done this yr.

BTW, with the new CBA the cap may allow for 6-7 big $$$$ players.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They will have to probably choose between Reader and Mercilus. Or they could let JoJo walk saving another 12 mil. That would allow them to re-sign Mercilus or Roby (I would re-sign Roby and draft another CB.

That would leave Edge as a weak position. That would allow them to draft an edge of their liking in the 3rd or use the 3rd and 4-1 to move up into the 2nd for an edge if they really like one. I like Willikes from Michigan St. in the 2nd.

All of the other guys you listed are vet min type guys.

The CB's I like in the 2nd rd are Amik Robertson Robertson/Jeff Gladney. Cameron Dantzler is a guy I really like.

If Guys like Henderson from Fla or Levonta Taylor (Fla St.) who is a more of a slot CB but is really good I would trade into the top of the 2nd for those guys.

Edge's I like in the 2nd/3rd are Willikes (Michigan St) Jennings/Lewis (Alabama) Anae (Utah) Rector (USC) Weaver (Boise St.)

I didn't mean to hijack this thread but I wanted to show you this is a good yr for CB's/Edge's and good ones can be found in the 2nd/3rd rds. If you would like to take this to the draft section I will be happy to tell you what I like about these guys.

BTW, I will remind you I'm terrible at evals on CB's.

OptimisticTexan and CWTexansFan like this.