Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Tunsil - Thoughts after week 5

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Gouldo, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Gouldo

Gouldo From the land down under with vegemite sangas.

So, whats the consensus? I know its early, but are you happy with how its all working out?

2. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

I like the pick up. However, considering what they gave up to get him, I would have preferred they locked him up on a longer contract as part of the trade conditions.

1d4, House of Pain, frethack and 4 others like this.
  3. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Best pass blocker we've had since Duane Brown. Not the masher Duane is in the run game though. His pad level is high and he doesnt get the push you would expect from an All Pro type LT. Im wondering if thats just strength related, but he's been in NFL S&C programs now for a few years. Not sure what to make of it, he's not horrible on run plays, just not nearly as dominant as pass plays. Still a tough pill to swallow considering if this is as good as he gets he will cost you nearly 75-80Ms to lock up, but you gotta pay to play.

4. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

I like the trade and the price doesn't bother me. People are over valuing those first and undervaluing what Tunsil would have cost us if we drafted him. He was projected to be a top 3 guy but fell because of the bong video, even still he was taken at 13th. If you stop to think about what it would have cost us to move up to 13, never mind top 3, then his price tag isn't that high either. People are also talking about his contract like he can walk after this year, he can't, we have him for the next two years. Again lets say we drafted a rookie, it would take at least 1-2 years, or longer with Devlin as their coach, before they were actually ready to play at an NFL level and only then will you see if they were a bust or not. With Tunsil you are getting the best two years of his rookie contract and you have someone that has already shown they will not be a bust.

I do wish he was better at the run blocking but Hyde seems to be doing fine, been saying we need a bulldozer of a RB to make BoB run plans work, and I'm far more worried about protecting Watson than I am any RB we've had the last 6 years. Overall two 1st for the guy sounds like a lot but if you look at the going rate on any decent LT in both the draft and F/A his price point is right on the mark.

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Great post

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He's 25 yrs old and has the talent to improve.

I'm not sure Devlin is the guy to help him improve.

7. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Just to clarify, we have him for this season and the next. He'll cost about 10 mil next season, then can walk after. This is probably what you were implying, but I'm sure others read it as he's a FA in 2022.

If we don't extend him, then I'll stand behind Tunsil being too expensive.

With that being said, happy with him as a pass protector. He gets penalized too much for my taste, but willing to give him benefit of the doubt as he's still adjusting to a new team.

maverick512000 likes this.
  8. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Yes that is what I meant.

Also there is always the franchise tag because we've had good luck with that in the past. :kitten:

DocBar, powda and dream_team like this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

If you ask me , the jury is still out and will remain so for several years.

1 or 2 years of what he's done so far isn't enough to justify the draft capital they gave up to get him.

Give us 5-7 years of quality play at the position and we'll call it square.

#1 picks are the lifeblood of the roster …. that gives you team control via the rookie scale contract and their second contract with RFA status.

Essentially you are giving up 3 likely starters for their first two contracts. That's a lot.

He has improved each week …. the level of play is getting there but its just as important that he locks that spot down for an extended number of years.

This one will take a while to justify.

texan279 and dream_team like this.
  10. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

He's getting better as time goes on and still has room for improvement. He does a good job now. He will get a chemistry with his teammates faster if they keep a fixed OL. Still, we paid through the nose to get him.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. amazing80

amazing80 Fire Billy O

Feels great having a bonafide LT again

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

Just because we're not starting Mat Kalil, Julien Davenport, or Roderick Johnson at LT... I'm happy.

For me to happy with the trade, we need to be kicking butt in the AFCCG. Right now, I'm not seeing it, but the season is still young.

13. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Disagree. Rounds 3-5 are the lifeblood of the roster. #1 picks are the heart.

14. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

He's been solid overall.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Texans fans aren't used to getting quality players in those rds, but it can be done.

Looks like the ol is coming together.

16. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

It's how every successful team does it in the NFL.

17. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Moderator Staff Member

I'm cool with it so far (agree w/above about need to sign). We got Stills in the deal, too. He's a solid 2a/b, and good insurance for Fuller.

I think Tunsil is going to get better and better. And he'll sign because they'll pay and he knows they wanted him. Plus, #4!

I would never assume that the Texans would've gotten great talent with those picks. Hope yeah, but not expect.

18. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Those quick hitters helps out a bunch. Best believe that.

CWTexansFan, steelbtexan and Max like this.
  19. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

I think Tunsil has been a great addition at LT to protect DW4's blindside. The Texans were spoiled with Duane Brown for a long time. Also, I hope to see a lot of improvements & growth from Howard & Sharping! It's not like great LT just fall from trees. I don't want our franchise QB to become another David Carr. lol

20. theCATALYST

theCATALYST Rookie

In my opinion the discussion about two firsts for Tunsil isn't just about the LT himself. It is also about Watson. What is Watson's value to this team and what are we willing to give away to protect him? As has been stated, drafting a LT in the 1st isn't a guarantee that the LT will be a success at the NFL level. And on the chance that he does become a success, how long does it typically take for him to get up to NFL game speed? One year? Two....three? Most importantly, how much would it have cost us to move up in the draft high enough to select someone of Tunsil's caliber?

Let's face it. Watson was getting murdered on the field last year. If he is to be the face of this franchise it would be a crime not to invest heavily into his protection. Two firsts for Tunsil (and Watsons health) seems like a bargain to me. A second for Stills and a 4th doesn't seem all that bad either if thats what it took to get Tunsil in a Texans uniform.

To answer the OP, I think Tunsil is where we can expect him to be with a chance to improve and grow over time (if we have the coaching who can do it. Of that I am not so sure). As a whole, although much improvement can be made, our O-line is showing signs of improvement.