Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trying to get an early idea of 53 Wow Tuff

Does anyone know anything about Jarvarris Williams? All I know he was drafted by the Chiefs in the 7th round from Tennessee St. He's also from Richmond/Rosenberg.

Saw this predict in one of today's Bleacher Report submittals. Thought I'd add it to this thread (rather than start a new one) to see how it compares to what we're thinking....

QB (3): Matt Schaub, T.J. Yates, Case Keenum
RB (5): Arian Foster, Ben Tate, Jonathan Grimes, James Casey, Jason Ford
WR (6): Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Lestar Jean, DeVier Posey, Keshawn Martin, Dwight Jones
TE (3): Owen Daniels, Garrett Graham, Logan Brock
OL (9): Duane Brown, Nick Mondek, Rashad Butler, Derek Newton, Wade Smith, Antoine Caldwell, Brandon Brooks, Chris Myers, Ben Jones
DL (6): J.J. Watt, Antonio Smith, Jared Crick, Tim Jamison, Shaun Cody, Earl Mitchell
LB (8): Brian Cushing, Bradie James, Darryl Sharpton, Mister Alexander, Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed, Whitney Mercilus, Bryan Braman
CB (6): Jonathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, Brice McCain, Brandon Harris, Roc Carmichael, Sherrick McManis
SS (2): Glover Quinn, Quintin Demps
FS (2): Danieal Manning, Troy Nolan
SP (3): Randy Bullock, Donnie Jones, Jonathan Weeks

Obsi:

My thoughts on that roster:

QUARTERBACK
I think Yates and Keenum make the team. Schaub's inclusion is going to be predicated upon if he can return and be a viable guy on week 1 or not. So there's not much to quibble with there.

RUNNING BACK
3 RBs and 2 FBs sounds right to me. Only question: Which guy ends up being RB3 behind Tate and Foster? It's anybody's guess at the moment. The lines are evenly split on Grimes or Meggett. Preseason will help determine it.

WIDE RECEIVER
I also find the prediction of us carrying 6 WRs to be a bit questionable. Last year, on opening day, we took FOUR. I can see us taking five, not six. I think the persons who predict six are just having a hard time making a cut-down to five. No way Kubiak takes 6 WRs. Five at the most, and even four would be the smarter bet.

TIGHT END
I don't know about Logan Brock here. Will Kubiak feel the need to carry three TEs? I'm not so sure. Especially if he can carry Brock onto PS and use him if TE1 or TE2 get hurt one Sunday. Not saying it's a waste to carry 3 TEs, just wondering (out loud) if it happens or not. Anybody know the history on how many TEs we normally take?

OFFENSIVE LINE
No mention of Shelly Smith. I think Mondek is a PS guy, and S. Smith gets the nod in true Kubiak loyalist fashion. Can't argue with the remainder of those picks though.

DEFENSIVE LINE:
No argument here. Looks good to me, unless I am missing something.

LINEBACKER
Dobbins will make the roster at LB at the expense of someone, possibly Mister Alexander or Daryl Sharpton if one of those has a bad camp and bad preseason (or injury).

Dobbins veteran leadership is the reason why. He is smart, and he has proven he can do the right thing in the clutch situations. Although adding Bradie James to the roster this year MIGHT get Dobbins cut.

CORNERBACK
Wade's guy, Shiloh Keo, is absent from the list. Hmm...I just think Wade finds a way to add Keo to the roster at the end of the day. I wouldn't like it, since I am not a Keo fan in regards to what surrounds him as an alternative...but Wade has a stiffy for Keo.

SAFETY
No quibble with the list. Looks right to me.

SP
No problems with that list. If Donnie Jones impresses in camp and preseason, Hartmann is out--Actually, due to suspension, Hartmann is on the outside looking in (by default). If Donnie Jones falters a bit, we'll carry Donnie Jones through the weeks of Hartmann's suspension and then cut Jones and add Hartmann if needed.

Obsi:

LINEBACKER
Dobbins will make the roster at LB at the expense of someone, possibly Mister Alexander or Daryl Sharpton if one of those has a bad camp and bad preseason (or injury).

Dobbins veteran leadership is the reason why. He is smart, and he has proven he can do the right thing in the clutch situations. Although adding Bradie James to the roster this year MIGHT get Dobbins cut.

This is the only position that makes me scratch my head a bit. IIRC, both Dobbins AND James are Wade imports. Sharpton has done fairly well in a backup role. That kind of says Alexander may be the guy "swimming against the tide" to make the roster.

This is the only position that makes me scratch my head a bit. IIRC, both Dobbins AND James are Wade imports. Sharpton has done fairly well in a backup role. That kind of says Alexander may be the guy "swimming against the tide" to make the roster.

Agreed.

WR: I don't think there's any way we go with 6 WR although Kubes has been tempted to do it before.

TE: We normally have 3 TEs on the roster and frequently 4. BUT, Casey plays a dual role here so I could see us going three. I'd be surprised if we go 2. I don't know if it's going to be Brock, Supernaw, or someone else.

RB: Derrick Ward is still on the market. I would not be surprised to see him back as our #3 before the beginning of the season.

OL: I agree with GP here. Mondek and no S. Smith? I'd be surprised by that.

LB: Weird not to see Dobbins or Nading on that list. Did we carry that many linebackers last year? The competition for these spots is going to be fierce.

I've got no other quibbles.

A lot of this is going to come down to the last pre season game.

I can only pick out guys I know will make the roster really. Everyone else is a bubble guy.

LB: Weird not to see Dobbins or Nading on that list. Did we carry that many linebackers last year? The competition for these spots is going to be fierce.

Nading was a replacement for Mario.
Alexander was a replacement for Sharpton.

Instead of Demeco, we now have James.
As Mercilus was drafted to spell Mario, Nading could be the odd man out again; unless Braman regresses.
Alexander will have to play light out to win over Sharpton's spot.

There's always a chance that one of the two old guys receive a thank you note, so yes, the competition will be fierce as it should be. :whip:

WR: I don't think there's any way we go with 6 WR although Kubes has been tempted to do it before.

TE: We normally have 3 TEs on the roster and frequently 4. BUT, Casey plays a dual role here so I could see us going three. I'd be surprised if we go 2. I don't know if it's going to be Brock, Supernaw, or someone else.

RB: Derrick Ward is still on the market. I would not be surprised to see him back as our #3 before the beginning of the season.

I havent had time to put together a projected 53 man roster yet ....

But I think Casey has to factor in at both TE and FB .... does that free up a roster spot elsewhere with him being the 3rd TE as well as the lone FB or do they carry an extra at one spot or the other ....

Not sure what they do for a 3rd RB .... If one of the young pups doesnt show he can get it done do they give Ward a call or look elsewhere on the scrap heap ?

The WR situation is interesting. AJ being out and with his injury history .... You have to wonder if they carry a 6th there just in case.

As for the backup LBers - Their play on ST will be the deciding factor and they may keep an extra while cutting the fat at another position.

The OL battles will be fierce ... Gonna run the risk of losing a good player one way or another.

The issue no one has discussed in depth - How does the punter situation shake out once Hartmann's suspension is over ? .... Do they have to release him or will he count against the 53 while under suspension ?
I cant believe they just let him go as well as he performed last season. I believe the job is Hartmann's to lose but these circumstances kinda throw a monkey wrench into putting together a final 53 not knowing how his suspension affects that.

I cant believe they just let him go as well as he performed last season. I believe the job is Hartmann's to lose but these circumstances kinda throw a monkey wrench into putting together a final 53 not knowing how his suspension affects that.

I think they get a roster exemption for players under suspension. So he shouldn't count against the 53 until he's off suspension.

I have no idea what they're going to do then.

I havent had time to put together a projected 53 man roster yet ....

But I think Casey has to factor in at both TE and FB .... does that free up a roster spot elsewhere with him being the 3rd TE as well as the lone FB or do they carry an extra at one spot or the other ....

I think Casey is the 2nd TE...

I'm not sure what they do with the roster spots there either, but I think if they are going to go with only 6 players between TE, FB and RB then two guys will have to be able to play two positions...

Here's my reasoning...

If you go short there and we have a situation like last year where Casey gets injured then you're losing two positions without any back-ups and it'd limit what you could do offensively.

If you had another TE/FB (like Logan Brock) or a FB/HB (like Jason Ford) then I think you can go with 6 players there instead of 7 because on game day you have a fill in for all positions if someone gets hurt.

Didn't their projected FB UDFA also play running back in college? Could the plan for him be to be RB3 and FB1?

Back