Troy Vincent may be cut

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by tburdette, Sep 14, 2006.

1. tburdette

tburdette Rookie

I just saw on NFL Live that Troy Vincent might be cut. I know he is on IR but they said that he will be back before the season is over. Since the Bills put him on IR does he have to be on IR with us too? If not he would be a good addittion to our secondary.

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Too old!

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

If we are looking for a quick fix this would be a good dude to get. From what I understand he plays safety now. This would be huge for the developement of our safties and a guy like Dunta to have out there also.

Vincent can still play IMO!!!!! We should jump on that.

4. Holden135

Holden135 Veteran

I heard that he will not be back this season. He is 35 right now and after a season ending injury i don't see how he could be back to his regular form afterwards.

5. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

I thought you couldn't cut an injured player....

6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

This claims he'll be out 4-6 weeks. Who knows? He still too old though.:twocents:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=2225

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

He has a hammy issue just like Steve Smith, TO, Hines Ward. He will be available to play at some point this season which is why Takeo Spikes is PO'd about him getting IR'd. Once he is healed, he can be cut from IR by the Bills although he started the season with them so his $2.6 mil contract is guaranteed for the year. He can then play for any team but the Bills.

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

From 1st and 10:
    "Putting safety Troy Vincent on the injured reserve list was an interesting move. Vincent is a leader. He's the president of the NFLPA, but he's a smart football player, the kind you want on a young defense in transition under Dick Jauron. He suffered a hamstring injury in the opener, but the Bills made the surprise move of putting him on injured reserve thus ending his season."

9. Str8tupg42k1

Str8tupg42k1 Veteran

didn't capers and crew try to get him before he signed with buffalo when he was a CB. Could be mistaken, i think it was antoine winfield don't remember i went to get hypnotized so I wouldn't have to remember about the previous regime.j/k

10. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

15 year veteran, just how good do you think he will be running after guys not even born yet when he came into NFL:twocents:

11. tburdette

tburdette Rookie

Alright guys he was cut today and our secondary isnt any better than it was 3 weeks ago. So lets go ahead and pick him up for this year and possibly next and draft a safety that can sit and learn from him.

12. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

ugh seriously.

"too old" or my other least favorite " too injury prone"

Do any of ya'll remeber Darrell Green? The guy played CB into his late 30's.

Honestly i'm tired of refering to players too old when that is what has plagued this team pretty much after the first season is veterans getting cut and replaced with younger inexperienced players and no key veterans to help them develop. If nothing else it couldn't hurt us to bring him inand see what he has left. A few years ago Bobby Taylor and him made the premier CB tandem in the league in Philly. All it could do is help our secondary...which is ...just not there.

13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I.R. = out for the year

14. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Yea! Looks like Aaron Glenn is doing fine, everytime I watch the Cowboys I here his name, he is what 30+ and I wish (just like Dunta) that he was still here.

Troy can play ball, if he makes our team better then I am all for it.

15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I like Troy, always have since his days in PHilly, but IMO anything is better than CC @ FS. We could pick him up, stick CC on the pine for depth @ the SS, & if Petey comes back, we'd be OK for Nickel situations instead of relying on Mccleon.

16. tburdette

tburdette Rookie

I am pretty sure that since the Bills put him on IR and they cut him that he is no longer on IR. And I also think that in order for him to make our team he has to pass a physical.

17. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

Ummmm...so, are you telling me you don't think he would be an upgrade over CC??

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The Bills designation of IR for Vincent only means he can not play for them this year. He has passed a physical in order to be released. He is guaranteed his salary of $2.6 mil for this season by the Bills. He can go sign with anyone but the Bills at this point.

Dexter McCleon is 33 years old running around out there now. They need to think long and hard about this one.

19. GP

GP Go Texans!

Winfield was who we had targeted.

My analysis on the Troy Vincent ordeal: IT IS A GIFT.

You don't get players like this dropped into your lap every day.

We have shown we will make a tough cut to make roster space. I believe we have been saying that we were always looking for DBs. The guy is a solid character and would be a good locker room presence. He's playing Safety and not up on the line as a CB.

Age is his only knock against him.

I'd sign him.

20. AggieTexanFan

AggieTexanFan Rookie

They did cut him, and they did for salary cap reasons

A lot of eyebrows were raised when he went on IR for a hamstring injury that was not season ending, but the Bills did it so they could release him after the years end and not be held accountable for his remaining contract

They cut him lose today and he is free to sign with another team from what I understood

Vincent was hurt how the Bills treated him, but is looking to move on