Troy Nolan ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Mar 3, 2011.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

What is your opinion of Troy Nolan? Is he a starter? Is he a FS/SS? Can he be easily beat out by a 3rd round rookie?

Same questions for Barber?

What do you think our safety needs are?

2. Rey

Rey Guest

I think Nolan can be a solid back up at both Safety positions and a good special teams guy. That's based on my impression of him last year.

I think that he can progress into a good starter, but I think he needs to refine his game.

I don't even think Barber should be on the team. I do not think he's an NFL player. JMO.

3. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Same thinking here.
    If Nolan can get the mental part of the game straight, he can be a starter.

4. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I expected Nolan to step up and take the FS spot from Wilson last year and I was really let down that he didn't do it.

Other than that, I agree with Rey and 76Texan. Nolan is good on ST and he should fight for one safety spot.

It's going to be interesting to see what kinds of guys we get to play safety and whether they perform better under Phillips. What am I saying? They'd pretty much HAVE to perform better than what we've had in the past.

5. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

That won't be hard to do, LOL!
    :toropalm:

6. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

I think our starting safeties are going to Quin at FS and Nolan at SS, at least that appears to be the depth chart right now.

When FA starts time to get real busy.

7. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Allen might be one starting conerback but I am not sure who the other coner would be unless the sign a free agent to start.

8. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Based off what the coaching staff thought of him at the start of training camp in 2010, that was one of his better qualities. I remember the staff saying that for Nolan to have been out on IR all of 2009, they were impressed that he had been in his playbook and was farther along than the staff anticipated. Anyone else recall that?

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I recall that.

To me, the thing with Nolan is consistency. & that comes from being on the field, and recognizing/trusting what you see.

Last season was his rookie year (basically) the biggest jump should be in year two. Hopefully we'll have coaches, that can make that happen.

But I think he's more SS than FS, he looked better (I thought) when he subbed for Pollard.

Albeit only one game.

10. Rey

Rey Guest

I think that knowing the plays and being strong mentally are two different things. There are lots of guys who know the plays, but it's their mental preperation that allows them to anticipate things come game time.

Taking gambles vs taking smart/calculated gambles...I think that is an area that Troy can improve on.

11. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

With us not re-signing Pollard you might be right about Quin to safety but I just don't see it happening. Quin was our best CB last year and the only guy on the team that actually looked like an NFL caliber corner last year. Unless we make a big splash in FA I'm banking on Quin staying at CB next season.

12. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Nolan is your new SS and Quinn is your new FS....

That leaves, and I dare say, Allen, Jackson as the starters if the season started today...

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

And isn't Allen a FA?

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

They dont have much at Safety .... Maybe Quin is moved but that means you absolutely must find two more corners who can contribute more than just falling down.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I agree with your post. Hopefully, we will draft a FS to start.

16. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Everyone has the raiders games in their heads when they talk about this kid, but i just don't trust him yet. I'd be much more comfortable if we pulled a vet from another team. He can sub in with the vet while learning the game & hopefully make enough plays to force his way into the line-up.

After last year's debacle, noone back there should be handed a starting job. Those dudes need to hit camp thinking they could be on the street if they don't perform up to standards.

17. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Move Quin to FS and Nolan to SS and that would leave Jackson and Allen at CB. Not sure about those at CB.

18. texanchris

texanchris Veteran

I would rather leave are best cornerback at corner and just draft or sign a safety rather than switch Quinn to FS. As for Nolan, as much as i want him to succeed and be a starter, i think he is a back up and special teams sort of guy.

19. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

yeah. i have not heard one thing about him since the season ended. its a shame cause he was easily the best CB we had last season.

20. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I'd give Troy Nolan a shot at SS but he's most likely a backup at best. I'd give Barber his walking papers.

Remember the 2009 preseason when Kubiak told us that Barber was ready to be the starting SS, I said then that he was terrible and shouldn't be an NFL player. The Texans then picked up Bernard Pollard off the street 4 weeks into the season because Barber was terrible and yet Barber is still cashing an NFL paycheck 2 yrs. later after being replaced by a street level FA. This just shows that Kubiaks defensive talent evaluations skills suck.