Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Troy Nolan just became our starting FS

The list of current NFL players who have passed through the College of the Canyons isn't extensive, yet athletic director and former football coach Chuck Lyon admits he hasn't kept up with everyone.

So it was odd when Lyon laughed Monday after being informed Troy Nolan, the starting strong safety on his 2004 team that won a national championship, intercepted a pair of passes Sunday in his first extensive action with the Texans.

"He's amazing," Lyon said. "He has such amazing instincts - I think it's God-given. I'd like to say it was my coaching, but I know that's not the case."

Nolan's patience might be equally impressive.

The trek from El Camino Real High School in Woodland Hills, Calif., to second-year NFL free safety - based on remarks uttered Monday by Texans coach Gary Kubiak, "starting free safety" might soon be more accurate – has been not only arduous but somewhat repetitive.

Nolan wasn't highly regarded initially at College of the Canyons, at Arizona State (where he finished his college career) or with the Texans, who selected him 223rd overall in the 2009 draft. But once on the field, he has refused to relinquish his spot.

"Troy (Nolan) is going to get a lot more playing time," Kubiak said. "Obviously, with what he did (in Sunday's 31-14 victory over the Raiders), Troy deserves some more reps, and he'll get them."

In transitions from junior college to the Football Bowl Subdivision and then from the Pac-10 to the AFC, Nolan had a year to size up the challenge ahead, a period of acclimation. He redshirted at ASU in 2006 after suffering quad and knee injuries. Last season, a broken arm in the first preseason game ended his rookie year.

The approach in both cases was the same.

"I watched a lot of film, how the veterans studied and how they trained," Nolan said. "I started to incorporate all of that, because you can't rely on those instincts. "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7233567.html

Nice article about Nolan, I really wish they could write more like that. I love getting some insight/stories from former coaches. When we drafted Earl Mitchell I recall McClain mentioning his HS coach at North Shore gushing about his athleticism, I thought that was taylor made for an article or at least a blog entry.

I don't agree that Kubiak refuses to play rookies that have flashed talent, but he does tend to give the benefit of the doubt to vets.

Listen to the 2nd year players. They virtually universally say they feel more comfortable coming into the 2nd year because they aren't trying to learn the system/playbook so can really concentrate on technique and instinct. You would hope most of your rookies aren't starting most years, That's the sign of a desperately rebuilding team.

But more to the point if someone is going to make a statement like wolf's then they should back it up with specific examples of rookies who should have started their rookie year over a specific vet.

A lot of those guys started because they were 1st rd. picks. Kubiak has stated that he wants 1st rd. picks to come in and start. The 1st rd. picks were anointed starters before even going through 1 day of camp.

Several of the others are actually prime examples of what has happened with Nolan. They were second string until the vets in front of them got hurt or completely sucked.

I don't agree that Kubiak refuses to play rookies that have flashed talent, but he does tend to give the benefit of the doubt to vets.

Only five were actually 1st round picks. And if you count starting as a punt returner, J.J. goes on the list too.

Started as rookies:

Williams
DeMeco
Spencer
Winston
Daniels
Lundy
Okoye
Bennett
Brown
Slaton
Cushing
Caldwell
Quinn
Jackson

Listen to the 2nd year players. They virtually universally say they feel more comfortable coming into the 2nd year because they aren't trying to learn the system/playbook so can really concentrate on technique and instinct. You would hope most of your rookies aren't starting most years, That's the sign of a desperately rebuilding team.

Agreed. We would've been a lot better off if Kareem Jackson began his rookie season with a diminished role as a nickelback.

Unfortunately, we were forced into starting KJ.

Oh, no. I'm not saying we should've started anyone else because we shouldn't. KJ is the best option we have right now.

We were just in a bad situation.

Gotcha.

I too would have liked to be in a situation where Jackson could have come in and not been a starter.

Hopefully next year or the year after our first rd. picks won't be asked to do as much because the talent on the team will already be solid.

I have redzone and can't watch the Texans game cuz I stay in Kentucky, so I haven't really seen Nolan play but this past game. I think he should've been on the field from the get go, the fact that he wasn't questions the DC Coordinator at not evaluating the players like he is supposed to but good job at not letting him go and congrads Nolan you deserve it...

Agreed. We would've been a lot better off if Kareem Jackson began his rookie season with a diminished role as a nickelback.

Unfortunately, we were forced into starting KJ.

If we didn't need one so bad I doubt you would spend a first round pick on it, I'm sorry but most first round picks are a desperate need for the team and should be expected to be starting by their rookie season.

You just don't figure it out till you can get in the game.

If Nolan is not going to get his chance this season, then when? I think he should.

I'm pretty sure he'll start this season.

But remember that he's essentially a rookie. He lacks experience and he's liable to make mental mistakes that Wilson shouldn't make.

But I expect him to be starting for us in a game or two.

Wilson is likely to start because NFL coaches tend to believe players shouldn’t lose jobs because of injuries.

Asked whether Wilson or Troy Nolan, who made the Texans’ first two interceptions of the season off deflections in Oakland, would start, Kubiak said: “It doesn’t matter. They’re both going to play".

easing Troy in seems to be the smart thing to do if Eugene can avoid hurting himself again.

I'm pretty sure he'll start this season.

But remember that he's essentially a rookie. He lacks experience and he's liable to make mental mistakes that Wilson shouldn't make.

But I expect him to be starting for us in a game or two.

this is the point right here......wilson the vet who shouldnt make mental mistakes....is making those mental mistakes ans playing like doo doo.....he clearly has stepped backwards and is playing like a "rookie" himself

so why not let the 2nd year rookie start....he cant do any worse....i mean he can make the same mental mistakes wilson is makin except hes a ballhawk whos always around the ball and can get a pick or 2 here and there....im just sayin

this is the point right here......wilson the vet who shouldnt make mental mistakes....is making those mental mistakes ans playing like doo doo.....he clearly has stepped backwards and is playing like a "rookie" himself

so why not let the 2nd year rookie start....he cant do any worse....i mean he can make the same mental mistakes wilson is makin except hes a ballhawk whos always around the ball and can get a pick or 2 here and there....im just sayin

From what Kubiak said, who starts doesn't matter that much because they're both going to get plenty of snaps.

I really think that this is just a transitional thing. Kubiak has a lot of respect for his vets but also Kubiak, Bush, and Gibbs see things on tape that we don't see: busted assignments and things. They may want to use last week and this week to get more film on Nolan in game situations to coach him up on certain things before naming him teh starter.

I expect the job to be Nolan's to lose and I said that before last week's game.

I would not be surprised to see Nolan start this game...

I also wouldn't be surprised if Wilson starts but Nolan takes a majority of the snaps...

Only five were actually 1st round picks. And if you count starting as a punt returner, J.J. goes on the list too.

Started as rookies:

Williams
DeMeco
Spencer
Winston
Daniels
Lundy
Okoye
Bennett
Brown
Slaton
Cushing
Caldwell
Quinn
Jackson

now thats a name i totally forgot about lol

I would not be surprised to see Nolan start this game...

I also wouldn't be surprised if Wilson starts but Nolan takes a majority of the snaps...

I think who starts isn't a big thing. I would bet Nolan will get the majority of the snaps, & that's all that really matters.

Eventually, he'll be the only FS on the field. It's just a matter of time.

Looks like Eugene "stone hands" Wilson is getting the start Sunday...yay
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7238136.html

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Texans | Will not say who will start at FS Week 5
Sat, 09 Oct 2010 10:02:43 -0700

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak would not say if SS Troy Nolan or FS Eugene Wilson will start at free safety in Week 5 but did say both will see playing time during the game, reports Nick Scurfield, of HoustonTexans.com.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Texans | Will not say who will start at FS Week 5
Sat, 09 Oct 2010 10:02:43 -0700

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak would not say if SS Troy Nolan or FS Eugene Wilson will start at free safety in Week 5 but did say both will see playing time during the game, reports Nick Scurfield, of HoustonTexans.com.

This is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan starts...

I haven't seen anything from Kubiak saying Wilson would get the nod...

Makes me think that he will either start Wilson, but Troy will get the majority of the snaps...Or he will start just start Nolan...

Maybe he is planning on starting Troy, but doesn't want to give the Giants any insight so they can't plan on calling some early plays to test the young FS...

Hot off the presses, here are inactives and lineup changes for the Texans’ Week 5 game against the New York Giants at Reliant Stadium. Kickoff is at noon CT.

Texans inactives
9 QB Matt Leinart (third quarterback)
12 WR Jacoby Jones
24 CB Karl Paymah
53 LB David Nixon
57 LB Kevin Bentley
64 G Kasey Studdard
88 TE Garrett Graham
96 DE Mark Anderson

Texans starting lineup changes
Troy Nolan will start at free safety for Eugene Wilson. David Anderson will return punts for Jones.

Giants inactives
29 DB D.J. Johnson
39 FB Madison Hedgecock
53 LB Keith Bulluck
55 LB Phillip Dillard
60 C Shaun O’Hara
65 T Will Beatty
80 WR Victor Cruz
94 DE Mathias Kiwanuka

Giants starting lineup changes
Bear Pascoe will start at fullback for Hedgecock. Clint Sintim will start at strongside linebacker for Bulluck.

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2010/10/10/texans-giants-inactives-lineup-changes/

Oh, apparently he had 4 tackles, but every time I looked I saw Wilson in on D. Were the tackles on ST?

I think he made some on special teams, but he made some on the regular defense as well...

Gotta give props where props are due, and Wilson did a good job staying with his man on that 4th down play late in the game.

TE came all the way across the formation and Wilson did not bite on the fake.

I don't know if Troy would have been that disciplined in that situation, but honestly I don't care.

FS by committee is fine with me as long as they are getting their job done.

I think he made some on special teams, but he made some on the regular defense as well...

Gotta give props where props are due, and Wilson did a good job staying with his man on that 4th down play late in the game.

TE came all the way across the formation and Wilson did not bite on the fake.

I don't know if Troy would have been that disciplined in that situation, but honestly I don't care.

FS by committee is fine with me as long as they are getting their job done.

Giving up 3 TDs and almost a perfect passer rating to Matt freaking Cassel and Dwayen Bowe is not getting the job done. Our defense, all around, was horrible today

I saw Nolan get pinned to the ground near Turk right after a punt. I think Vrabel was doing it. I was screaming because he had him pinned for several seconds. Would not let him get up at all. The ref was standing in front of them and Turk helplessly (gutless?) watched.

Is basically laying a Hulk Hogan style pin for several seconds legal?

It seems like it's really easy to not notice bad FS play. I don't know enough to be able to say whether Nolan is better than Wilson or not, but I know that Wilson is only going downhill and we need a FS that makes a positive impact on our defense. Since we know Wilson isn't that FS, I want to see Nolan given a real shot.

Back