Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Trent Williams LT Available

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by mussop, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Pharaohcious

Pharaohcious Veteran

I know it's a stretch but... So was the Brian Gaine firing...

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

why when I can speak to those side tracking conversation myself?

DocBar and steelbtexan like this.
  3. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Sounds like still speculation, but......

https://www.nflchatter.com/2019/06/25/texans-opens-up-trade-talks-with-washington/

(apologies to all, didn't mean to post something actually related to the thread title.....) :troll:

KA4Texan, Max, CWTexansFan and 2 others like this.
  4. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Assuming for the moment, that is true (highly dubious), a 3rd for this guy is an absolute steal, and a 4th? Someone needs to file a report with the police for grand theft football player.

I'd love to see him come here! I'm not even sure at this point who would be in charge of the negotiations? Chris Olsen? Easterby? BOB? Cal? Janice? The Janitor?

steelbtexan and Seegara like this.
  5. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Agreed but there is another factor that might make it more appealing to Washington. Williams is a huge hit on their cap space and if they don't do something in the next year or two they're in cap hell. So a 3rd or 4th might not seem like much but when you factor in that they can get him off their books as well it makes more sense. IF this deal goes down I'm thinking a third in 2020 with maybe a 3rd or 4th in 2021 as an offer and then see what they counter with.

Porky likes this.
  6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

To me it sounds like the Texans are being cheap & unreasonable. Bidding, but not really.

We sent Duane Brown & a fifth for a 3rd & future 2nd. That's the neighborhood the Texans need to be in if they want Washington to think they are serious.

Pharaohcious likes this.
  7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Gotta be the DB deal or better. Williams is younger and arguably as good as DB was at his best. I would gladly give up a 1st for Williams. Watson's health is that important to me.

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I do not want you negotiating anything for me. You should always start off low and then work your way up if necessary. It's hard to start with a first-round pick offer and then work down. Trent Williams is definitely worth a first-round pick but if the scenario turns out to be as it could be with a player wanting out of Washington, we could get him for a lot less. Only a rumor for now, but certainly fun to talk about .

CWTexansFan and maverick512000 like this.
  9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

Kind of like a player wanting out of Houston.

I understand negotiations. Were I Washington I wouldn't even respond to the team with no general manager that just offered me a 3rd/4th round pick for a player that I, as a team, still want to keep.

You don't need to start with a 1st. Start with two thirds maybe we end up at next years 3rd 2021's 2nd. Or next year's 3rd & 4th.

I could very well be wrong. But I wouldn't expect Washington to respond.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  10. welsh texan

welsh texan Site Contributor

You do know that Janice the Janitor was fired last week and Bill O'Brien has taken over her role for the forseeable future?

thunderkyss likes this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. maverick512000

The no GM part isn't an issue, plenty of teams with non-traditional power structures as long as there is somebody that can sign off on the deal. The whole firing Gaine and trying to get Cesario was a much bigger deal in Houston and I guess Boston than it was to the rest of the NFL. As far as not responding while I wouldn't put it past them, it is Washington after all, that's a very bad move because it can create bad blood and poison any future deals that they might want to make. Not agreeing to it is one thing but there are better ways to handle that than to burn a bridge.

Most used tactic I know of and have seen is to ask for something so far out there that they would never go for it "We'll trade you Williams but we want Clowney, your next 3 years of 1sts and next year's 2nd". That way you have rejected the offer but still looked like you were willing to negotiate, and who knows, you might hit on a GM dumb enough to take the deal, looking at you Chicago.

12. Pharaohcious

Pharaohcious Veteran

Trent Williams??

What are the Washington Redskins team needs?

Whose holding all their dead cap?

Where is their projected draft picks going to fall at... mid...late...early?

two early 2nd and 3rds are lovely and a late 1st not so extravagant unless you wanna use it to
    trade up and grab a guy which im all for when it comes to Georgia Tackle or Auburns DT...

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator Staff Member

A 3rd, a 2nd in the subsequent draft, with the Texans kicking back a 5th was the cost for Duane Brown. Will Trent have more suitors than Duane, thus raising the price?

steelbtexan likes this.
  14. Dejaview

Dejaview All Pro

I wouldn’t put any stock in a gossip note that states Henderson had a “disastrous performance” last year. When does getting hurt in the first couple of minutes equate to a disastrous performance...unless you really know nothing about who you want to use to make your point.

steelbtexan likes this.
  15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Offer next yrs 2nd and a 2021 2nd.

Then comeback with next yrs 1st

A deal will get done if Williams wants out.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is exactly how the Texans (We really tried hard and came in 2nd) does business.

17. maverick512000

what part?

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

I'd give the next 5 1sts because I care more about Watson than any of y'all.

19. maverick512000

I'd give the next five 1st and give them Watson because I care more about protecting him than I do this team.

NastyNate and CWTexansFan like this.
  20. Pharaohcious

Pharaohcious Veteran

Could we land Landin Collins in that trade? SS with a base salary of 1 million... I mean we didn't sign Honeybadger so...