Travis......you're fired!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HoustonFrog, May 20, 2009.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Only a matter of time...should have been a long time ago. Heard the sound byte this morning and Kubiak's tone told the story...not happy. If you got a long way to go at this point, chalk him up to a cut.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6432377.html

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

Not that he's done anything but a fluke INT. And knock trent green out....

I think for the plays that he was actually in..Deljuan Robinson was far more productive.

As far as Smith being out...maybe this is a sign for Conner Barwin to step in as the starter (wishful thinking = Mario, Okoye, Robinson, Barwin)

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

We know about Travis and his issues, what I didn't know was Antonio Smith's hamstring issues. Oy vey.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  4. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Wouldn't Bulman be starting in place of Smith at this point? I thought that Barwin was "officially" Mario's backup and will come in at either DE in passing situations.

5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I was unaware of this thread at the time I posted in the OTA thread. Here are my thoughts.

6. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I'm kinda worried that Smith is already dinged up. He needs to be in there learning the defense. Hope this isn't some sign of things to come.

7. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    We used to call it "chub rub" in drum corps. Too much sweaty skin rubbing on too much sweaty skin. It's gross and it looks painful.

We all know where TJ is at as a player and how he's morphed from a first round pick. He's good but on a team with the talent level continuing to rise....good enough? Robinson looks like the first choice to replace him, I'm sure Cody is excited to have a real gig and will come out on fire, if Frank Okam develops any game whatsoever at his size I can't imagine not putting him on the field.

I'm sure there is a playbook for DE/DT but I doubt it's anything close to what a LB or DB has to learn.

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

If you watch the video, it looks like TJ is slapping his knee while showing a limp as he gingerly walks down the field..........he could possibly be suffering from that well-known, multi-faceted diagnosis of "knee-jerk" syndrome.:mcnugget:

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Well said. TJ is a good player, but he is obviously annoying Coach Kubiak. I suspect that TJ will be the starter come opening day. But this team's list of player needs is clearly getting shorter and shorter. TJ would be wise to remain aware of that.

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

This sounds like Jacoby Jones all over again. If you asked Kubiak enough, i bet he'd mention something about being a "pro"

11. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

For all that are saying TJ is a good player...

I suggest that you go back and watch some of the games this year. I remember him being in Demeco's lap several times this year and he can't take a double fo shizzle. Thank god Kubiak is finally seeing the bigger picture with him. Maybe this "kid" out of Hawaii might turn into a good rotation guy.

12. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

Except Barwin is still in school until June. Smith doesn't have to worry about losing his job to someone who's not even at OTA's.

13. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

*groans*

14. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I remember watching the news the other day and they were showing the guys running. TJ was lagging behind and looking lethargic. I wasn't surprised, just shook my head. I've always kinda liked the guy, but his play is definately subpar. It would be nice to have a playmaker in his spot instead of a filler, and I think that's the only role he fills right now.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Sure, he got pushed around, but which DT didn't? Okoye was blasted off the line more than most. Zgonina lost more battles than he won.

I'm definitely not going to say he's worth the 1st round draft pick, but he hasn't been our worst DT.

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Here's the latest comments from Kubiak on TJ. That damn "pelvic region" again!

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5296

17. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Name that player!
    "Just sitting here drawing my paycheck and waiting to see how far we get in playoffs".
    T Johnson or TMac? I want a player named TBone.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Ha, I dunno, but he seems like a major slacker to me. Heck, he even slacks off at practices open to fans. I recall many times watching him basically half-ass through things.

20. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

I don't think Travis has much of the cliff to stand on.....maybe hanging on by two hands.....he could be cut this year by end of training camp..........