Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Travis Johnson

The Preacher

Waterboy
Has he lived up to anybody's expectations and what kind of future do you see him as having? I was wondering what the prevailing mood was. He was drafted around where Tommie Harris was and it took him a year to get going so how long before the jury is out?

It's really hard to say because he doesn't start. I think the jury will not fully be out on him until after next year. I think his future kind of depends on the coaching staff next year though. I have seen him do good things and then I have seen him do nothing at all. I love his attitude though.

for my expectations travis johnson has definetly lived up to his draft status...look the main thing everyone needs to realize is that both offensive and defensive lineman (especially d-lineman) need time to develop in the nfl no matter where they were drafted...TJ next year will be more involved in whatever defense we are running and will be more productive and then in his third year he will be the starter and will be an absolute terror...given no injury problems

I think, after watching interviews and listening to his knowledge and respect of the game, that Travis could wind up being a leader on this team, especially on defense!

However, that depends on talent and production as well. He sems to have a pretty good motor. Also, it seems like DT's take a while to grasp the game.

Personally, I think 75 will be fine. (shh...but would still pick DJ, actually!)

He doesnt play enough for me to even say he was worth a number 1 pick. When we picked that high in the draft, we should have gotten a starter, not a back-up....

Just not ready to give a thumbs up or down on him yet. The player needs more time to develop. If he is not making plays by the end of next season (when I assume we will probably be looking at drafting defensive players), then we might want to rethink him. But so far, so good.

HomeBred_Texan said:
He doesnt play enough for me to even say he was worth a number 1 pick. When we picked that high in the draft, we should have gotten a starter, not a back-up....

He'll be a starter soon enough, if he's good enough anyway. Walker isn't that young. Also most 3 man fronts like to rotate their DTs so he should get more time.

Agree with the others that say it is too early to tell with him. Think that he will be a good one though, and I think it was a position we needed to draft for.

But as an aside, I will say that I think he might have the type of large personality that can make him one of the leaders on the D. Very personable and funny.

At one of the Texans events, I was trying to get personalized messages on a Texans baseball cap for someone going through chemotherapy and who was losing her hair. Anyhow, I ran into Travis Johnson first, and he signs the hat and says, come with me, I'll get the whole team to sign. And he walks me back where the team was and got everyone there to sign it with really nice messages.

It might not be a big deal, but he didn't have to do that and a lot of athletes wouldn't have.

Anyhow, I hope he stays on track and is a force on our team for a long time to come. :texflag:

Texans_Chick said:
At one of the Texans events, I was trying to get personalized messages on a Texans baseball cap for someone going through chemotherapy and who was losing her hair.

See, Stef, I knew you were a sweet heart !!!!!:yahoo:

bobby 119C
They turnt me loose from the hospital, ummm hmmm, said I was well!

TJ is going through typical rookie pains this year. Give him time, he will be a good defensive lineman!

bobby 119C:brickwall
They turnt me loose form the hospital, ummm hmmm, said I was well!

I'll admit I wasn't happy at ALL with the pick but he's growing on me. Especially if we switch to a 4-3.

I concur with the board. Too little info on him to tell anything right now.

i like his attitude for sure. Texans need more players w/some 'tude and aren't affraid to intimidate and talk smack.

So if TJ does turn out to be a stud, do ya'll give Casserly any credit? ;)

Hopefully our D will be much more aggressive next year and we see him starting. That's when we'll all know if he's worth the first round pick or not. Of course, I'm hoping he's all that and a bag of Cheetohs. I mean, he's our boy!

Remember when most of you went "Who?" when Casserly took Chester Pitts in the 2nd round?:hmmm:

Marcus said:
Remember when most of you went "Who?" when Casserly took Chester Pitts in the 2nd round?:hmmm:

That doesn't mean much when they took David Carr and I said, "Who?"

(I say, "Who?" a lot.) :)

Give him time. Given the season that we've had it's almost tough to call. With time, he'll be one of the best.

TheOgre said:
I think if we switch to the 4-3 next year, you will see if he is worth or not.

I agree with you think 3-4 is done in Houston, what will be interesting to see is who stays and who goes on D-line and Linebackers

I don't know if we will switch. The 3-4 is a hot defense right now. A lot of teams are having success with it. Maybe we can go to a crazy defense like the 46. I think the Ravens are using it this year.

I think switching schemes at this point would just cause us more problems. Our defense doesn't suck because of the 3-4 itself, but because of Fangios flawed version (Which has never worked on the NFL level...if any level)

:texflag: TJ has done better than alot of high first round DL . Cleveland was collecting them for awhile ... now their at Denver . KC picked Ryan Sims 9th pick 1st rd. and I don't think he's doing much .

TJ had a 26 on the Wunderlic test ... Carr had a 24 .

Honoring Earl 34 said:
:texflag: TJ has done better than alot of high first round DL . Cleveland was collecting them for awhile ... now their at Denver . KC picked Ryan Sims 9th pick 1st rd. and I don't think he's doing much .

To stay in line with the flaovr of the board this week, should we try TJ at QB? :rolleyes:

GoTexans said:
He's backing up a pro bowler who has 1-2 years left. He's learning from one of the best and he will be one of the best when it's his time to start.

Gary lost "pro bowler" status 3 years ago.

hes backing up a guy with 1.5 sacks in 3 seasons.

HomeBred_Texan said:

this probably gotten burried in most memories, but I recall Casserly stating before last year's draft that the Texans did not need anyone to come in step-in as a starter.

I think Travis is in a learning stage.....lets not forget he played in the 4-3 for Florida St. last year as a DT so he is still learning to play a completely different position. In Florida St. he was asked to go up against Centers and Guards, and now he is going up against the leagues best Tackles.

When he came out of Flordia St., everybody attacked his charecter. I think he is a team guy, who has a true passion for the game and wants to be out their every snap. He was on the College Gameday set last Saturday when they were at Reliant supporting Florida St.

Somebody said something about Tommie Harris.........Harris was taken by the Bears and #14 (?) a couple of years ago, and this year he is finally making a presence known on the Bears great D. It just takes a couple of years to get young DL going because they are used to using 1 technique in college playing against less than average talent. When they come in to the league, it takes them a while to learn different passing rushing techniques to beat the talented offensive lineman in the league.

Honoring Earl 34 said:

The wonderlic is overrated.

I think next year is a year you can judge this guy. So far I dont think he is that great because he was drafted first YET does not start.

Back