Travis Johnson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by The Preacher, Dec 2, 2005.

1. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

Has he lived up to anybody's expectations and what kind of future do you see him as having? I was wondering what the prevailing mood was. He was drafted around where Tommie Harris was and it took him a year to get going so how long before the jury is out?

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

It's really hard to say because he doesn't start. I think the jury will not fully be out on him until after next year. I think his future kind of depends on the coaching staff next year though. I have seen him do good things and then I have seen him do nothing at all. I love his attitude though.

3. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

for my expectations travis johnson has definetly lived up to his draft status...look the main thing everyone needs to realize is that both offensive and defensive lineman (especially d-lineman) need time to develop in the nfl no matter where they were drafted...TJ next year will be more involved in whatever defense we are running and will be more productive and then in his third year he will be the starter and will be an absolute terror...given no injury problems

YoungTexanFan likes this.
  4. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I think if we switch to the 4-3 next year, you will see if he is worth or not.

5. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

I think, after watching interviews and listening to his knowledge and respect of the game, that Travis could wind up being a leader on this team, especially on defense!

However, that depends on talent and production as well. He sems to have a pretty good motor. Also, it seems like DT's take a while to grasp the game.

Personally, I think 75 will be fine. (shh...but would still pick DJ, actually!)

6. Blake

Blake MMQB

He does look pretty badass with that black visor though.

7. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

He doesnt play enough for me to even say he was worth a number 1 pick. When we picked that high in the draft, we should have gotten a starter, not a back-up....

Elite likes this.
  8. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Just not ready to give a thumbs up or down on him yet. The player needs more time to develop. If he is not making plays by the end of next season (when I assume we will probably be looking at drafting defensive players), then we might want to rethink him. But so far, so good.

9. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

He'll be a starter soon enough, if he's good enough anyway. Walker isn't that young. Also most 3 man fronts like to rotate their DTs so he should get more time.

10. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Agree with the others that say it is too early to tell with him. Think that he will be a good one though, and I think it was a position we needed to draft for.

But as an aside, I will say that I think he might have the type of large personality that can make him one of the leaders on the D. Very personable and funny.

At one of the Texans events, I was trying to get personalized messages on a Texans baseball cap for someone going through chemotherapy and who was losing her hair. Anyhow, I ran into Travis Johnson first, and he signs the hat and says, come with me, I'll get the whole team to sign. And he walks me back where the team was and got everyone there to sign it with really nice messages.

It might not be a big deal, but he didn't have to do that and a lot of athletes wouldn't have.

Anyhow, I hope he stays on track and is a force on our team for a long time to come. :texflag:

11. touttail

touttail All Pro

See, Stef, I knew you were a sweet heart !!!!!:yahoo:

bobby 119C
    They turnt me loose from the hospital, ummm hmmm, said I was well!

12. touttail

touttail All Pro

TJ is going through typical rookie pains this year. Give him time, he will be a good defensive lineman!

bobby 119C:brickwall
    They turnt me loose form the hospital, ummm hmmm, said I was well!

13. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

I'll admit I wasn't happy at ALL with the pick but he's growing on me. Especially if we switch to a 4-3.

I concur with the board. Too little info on him to tell anything right now.

14. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

i like his attitude for sure. Texans need more players w/some 'tude and aren't affraid to intimidate and talk smack.

15. yaboycm

yaboycm Veteran

He will have a career about as long as his first contract. Then he will become a 600 pound man.

16. TexanFanInDenver

TexanFanInDenver Rookie

I believe he will show himself as a great player as soon as he gets some push from the linebackers.

17. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

So if TJ does turn out to be a stud, do ya'll give Casserly any credit? ;)

Hopefully our D will be much more aggressive next year and we see him starting. That's when we'll all know if he's worth the first round pick or not. Of course, I'm hoping he's all that and a bag of Cheetohs. I mean, he's our boy!

18. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Remember when most of you went "Who?" when Casserly took Chester Pitts in the 2nd round?:hmmm:

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

That doesn't mean much when they took David Carr and I said, "Who?"

(I say, "Who?" a lot.) :)

20. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

Give him time. Given the season that we've had it's almost tough to call. With time, he'll be one of the best.