Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Travis Johnson on sports radio 610

I can't stand the 610 homers in the morning and afternoon, but I highly recommend the mid-day show with Mike Meltser and Seth Payne. Meltser isn't a homer, and Payne brings a veteran's perspective.

Maybe give it a shot one day.

Thanks for the rec. I'll give it a shot. I've liked Meltser on the post game coverage in the pre-season.

lz & charlie were good, and matt thomas was in a better time slot.

clanton is too much more of an entertainer than a sports wonk, and
lance is a little of both.

that's why lance and charlie worked, while lance and clanton don't.
(charlie was the wonk, lance was the entertainment)

the new show is almost "too much fluff" -- all bone, no meat..

TJ

yeah pallilo is still my favorite. and of course they cut him down to like 3 hours. And when I'm driving home, Matt Thomas is still on the air which I could take or leave.

I haven't heard Clanton enough, but the LZ and Pallilo combination was the best radio I've heard. Wish they'd bring that back because it was all serious sports talk.

Casserly laid some eggs as all GMs do in the Drafts, but he also drafted Andre Johnson & Mario (instead of Reggie Bush), DeMeco, OD to name a couple of his picks.

He sure did. Drafting Andre pretty much makes up for all of his mistakes.

The Texans' 2006 Draft, Casserly's last, was definitely his best.

The only pick Casserly made in that draft was Owen Daniels. Actually he didn't make the pick, he convinced Kubiak to take Daniels but might as well give Casserly credit.

The only pick Casserly made in that draft was Owen Daniels. Actually he didn't make the pick, he convinced Kubiak to take Daniels but might as well give Casserly credit.

given how all of kubiak's tightends look like clones, i'm not sure i'd even give him daniels unless it was said that kubiak didnt want him.

given how all of kubiak's tightends look like clones, i'm not sure i'd even give him daniels unless it was said that kubiak didnt want him.

Kubiak was interviewed and was asked about how happy he was with the OD pick - this was after a few games had been played.. He said they were going to go another direction but Casserly was insistent they should take OD. He then finished with something like "I am sure glad I let him convince me on that one." I think the anecdote confirms pretty clearly the power structure that day.

i stand corrected, and figured there was actual evidence for you to give casserly a good pick lol. i still want to just say kubiak was throwing casserly a bone, but a blind squirrel comes to mind.

doubt i could ever forgive the guy for travis johnson of derrick johnson, carr over peppers, the babin trade, or so many other atrocities. how casserly made it as long in the league as he did is an absolute mystery ... and a testament to rookies kubiak and smith when you look at what veterans casserly and capers built in 5 years compared to their financially hindered 52 man overhaul in that same amount of time.

Jay Mohr is actually an amazingly talented radio performer, but you wouldn't know it from his unimpressive sports show. You have to catch him on Adam Carolla's podcast.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...ohnson-20130814,0,1323435.story#axzz2c9FbYsth

Making waves now because he called Tony Romo a loser. He's one to talk, biggest bust of a draft pick in our history and that's saying a lot. He needs to check himself before he goes around calling anyone a loser.

That honor goes to David Carr (as he was #1 overall..) and maybe even Amobi Okoye.

But TJ was pretty bad not gunna lie. Funny when he says Romo has not earned a dollar in the league...

Then again, we could have gotten Aaron Rodgers over TJ, so maybe he is the biggest bust...

Travis Johnson just said he & the Texans thought, "As long as we've got David, how good are we going to be?"

I wonder how many Texans think that way about Schaub now. If we're thinking the Texans have been lackluster because of the QB play, surely there are some thinking that now. & if they are, they can't be too upset at the fans who were cheering when Matt got hurt. They were thinking the same thing.

Travis Johnson just said he & the Texans thought, "As long as we've got David, how good are we going to be?"

I wonder how many Texans think that way about Schaub now. If we're thinking the Texans have been lackluster because of the QB play, surely there are some thinking that now. & if they are, they can't be too upset at the fans who were cheering when Matt got hurt. They were thinking the same thing.

Time out.

It's one thing to not want a guy to be your qb...it's another to be happy when he goes down to injury.

I'm not going to lie....I was happy that Yates was getting a shot. I was not happy that Schaub had to get injured for that to happen.

But the thing is, I didn't get excited until Schaub was helped off. You can't cheer while a guy is laying on the ground. Not cool.

So that is where I would think the disconnect would be between the fans and some players that might not want Matt to be the guy anymore.

But regarding Travis, I thought he had a couple good questions for Matt. He asked him about some throws he made when he got out of the pocket and he asked him about what he'd tell TJ and/or case if they had to start.

Btw, once again after a loss I give Matt and kubiak props for handling the questions like men.

Bosslli wasn't a draft pick. And in response to the person you were responding too, he wasn't the biggest draft bust we ever had either. That distinction easily goes to mittens.

Boselli was a draft pick... in the expansion draft, he was picked 1st overall.

However the biggest busts goes to Carr or Hollings.

Carr was a terrible pick but he was still in the NFL for years after he was drafted. Okoye was an awful pick but he produced far more than TJ.

And I still don't understand how people ***** about Boselli. The reason we were able to get Gary Walker and Seth Payne was because we agreed to take Boselli too, it's not like Boselli was our freaking entire expansion draft.

Hollings was a bust but only cost us a second round pick, we hardly ever get good players in the second round anyways.

I've heard TJ...i'm not impressed..trys too hard to be an entertaining.

Cooke & Kalu for me - unquestionably the best combo of giving you the real spit about the texans/NFL and knowledge of the game....quite funny at times to.

Payne & Meltzer - Don't get a chance to listen to them often but the little i've listened to them, Payne does a good job of keeping it real about what's going on with the texans...Meltzer....well, he's just there.

Palillo - so glad they got LZ outta there with him..just messes up the flow of the show...LZ's schitcks are tired. The only thing i don't like about his show is that he has the tendency to cut the callers off.

Every time I see Travis Johnson in person I always joke about how the Texans passed on Aaron Rodgers and selected him instead. He gives me the same, "I want to punch you in the face" smile every time. But then he snaps out of it like a calmer Mike Tyson before I start chanting, "bust! bust! bust!" LOL

Boselli was a draft pick... in the expansion draft, he was picked 1st overall.

However the biggest busts goes to Carr or Hollings.

Nah, Boselli by far, he never contributed anything at all, and was our very first attempt at picking a player. The only thing he gave us was Seth Payne and Gary Walker (our first year Pro Bowler, along with Glenn) whose contracts we had to eat in order to get Tony.

Carr had the ability, far more than Matt, just never got his head in it. I still blame Chris Palmer for being incompetent, and the entire organization for starting him too early and getting him and his confidence crushed ... over and over again.

Biggest bust, no contest ... Boselli.

At least we got something for Boselli in Payne & Walker.

For me it's Bennie Joppru.. Like Boselli i don't believe he suited up 1 time..unlike Boselli, we got zilch for that kid.

Cooke & Kalu for me - unquestionably the best combo of giving you the real spit about the texans/NFL and knowledge of the game....quite funny at times to.

Koch & Kalu are my favorites as well. But... they have no more insight to the Texans than you or I do. Other than the fact that they've played in the NFL & that Kalu played for Kubiak....

For instance, they both believe some of the players have lost faith & confidence in their coach/qb, but they clearly say it's their supposition, no one has told them as much.

Carr was a terrible pick but he was still in the NFL for years after he was drafted. Okoye was an awful pick but he produced far more than TJ.

And I still don't understand how people ***** about Boselli. The reason we were able to get Gary Walker and Seth Payne was because we agreed to take Boselli too, it's not like Boselli was our freaking entire expansion draft.

Hollings was a bust but only cost us a second round pick, we hardly ever get good players in the second round anyways.

We got the DROTY with a 2nd round pick

Don't forget Okoye

That's my vote for biggest bust.

The franchise broke Carr. Whatever potential that boy had was continuously slammed out of him by a swiss cheese line until he heard phantom foot steps in his head.

We got the DROTY with a 2nd round pick

Yeah, name all our other great players we've gotten with a 2nd rounder in our franchise history, which is why I said "hardly".

DB, I originally would've said Okoye was our biggest bust but I looked at the stats and Okoye had a much better career than TJ did and at least had some impact his rookie year, unlike TJ who did literally nothing.

i usually only listen to sports radio after a team loses because the reaction of the fans is hilarious.

Koch & Kalu are my favorites as well. But... they have no more insight to the Texans than you or I do. Other than the fact that they've played in the NFL & that Kalu played for Kubiak....

For instance, they both believe some of the players have lost faith & confidence in their coach/qb, but they clearly say it's their supposition, no one has told them as much.

I understand that, but most other radio hosts on houston sports radio seem to go 1 of 3 ways. They either:

Are straight up homers or try to steer clear of overtly calling a spade a spade - Lopez, Vandemeer, Lord....

They try too hard to be "critical" so as not to appear like they're homers - Innes, Nick Wright, LZ & Clanton...(have never liked this dude)

Or they try too hard trying to get laughs & entertain you with all kinds of other crap...LZ, Clanton mostly but Innes, Payne & Meltzer do that alot too.

When i listen to Cooke & Kalu, i feel like i'm just sitting at a bar talking shop with 2 guys who know & love the game....They're genuinely themselves on the radio. The fact that they played on the NFL level is an added bonus.....you get less BS like "SEC guy" or "celebrity birthdays". Apart from that, they look at things largely the same way i do in regards to the Texans & the NFL in general..i find myself agreeing with them alot.

Yeah, name all our other great players we've gotten with a 2nd rounder in our franchise history, which is why I said "hardly".

Because of trades, the Texans have not drafted in the second round in five of the 11 years in their history, but when they did make a pick, they usually nailed it. The 2nd round has been one of their most successful rounds in the draft.

As far as naming other players, there's plenty to choose from.

2011: Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona (42); Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (Fla.) (60)
2010: Ben Tate, RB, Auburn (58)
2009: Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati (46)
2006: DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama (33)
2003: Bennie Joppru, TE, Michigan (41)
2002: Jabar Gaffney, WR, Florida (33); Chester Pitts, T, San Diego State (50)

Out of the 8 players selected, I see only two obvious flops.. Joppru and Gaffney (who went on and had a decent NFL career as a journeyman WR), Brandon Harris is a possible third, but to say the Texans hardly ever find talent in the 2nd round isn't true.

You're supposed to hit on your first and second round players. The %'s start getting rougher at finding starters after this round. Texans have a mixed bag when it comes to drafting. Most teams are similar. It's not a science, it's more of an art.

Because of trades, the Texans have not drafted in the second round in five of the 11 years in their history, but when they did make a pick, they usually nailed it. The 2nd round has been one of their most successful rounds in the draft.

As far as naming other players, there's plenty to choose from.

Out of the 8 players selected, I see only two obvious flops.. Joppru and Gaffney (who went on and had a decent NFL career as a journeyman WR), Brandon Harris is a possible third, but to say the Texans hardly ever find talent in the 2nd round isn't true.

DeMeco and maybe Pitts are the only ones you listed who I'd consider good. Barwin had one good season and none of the rest outside of Pitts and Ryans even got offered a contract extension. I'd hardly call that successful but I guess we have different ideas of success, and I'd call both Reed and Harris flops but that's just me.

DeMeco and maybe Pitts are the only ones you listed who I'd consider good. Barwin had one good season and none of the rest outside of Pitts and Ryans even got offered a contract extension. I'd hardly call that successful but I guess we have different ideas of success, and I'd call both Reed and Harris flops but that's just me.

Drafting NFL starters is what I consider "successful".. of the 8 second round picks that the Texans have selected, 5 start/have started and the only reason why it isn't 6 is because Tate plays behind Arian Foster (so you don't think he's a good player?) and the reason why more of these players weren't offered a extension had more to do with Houston's cap situation than anything else.

As far as Conner Barwin's one good year.

J.J. Watt.. 28 tackles and 3.5 sacks
Conner Barwin.. 25 tackles and 3 sacks (already matched last year's total)

Did he only have one good year or did he just have a off year? Because he's on pace to have around double digit sacks.

Sorry, but I'm not buying the argument that the Texans don't hit on their second round picks.

Drafting NFL starters is what I consider "successful".. of the 8 second round picks that the Texans have selected, 5 start/have started and the only reason why it isn't 6 is because Tate plays behind Arian Foster (so you don't think he's a good player?) and the reason why more of these players weren't offered a extension had more to do with Houston's cap situation than anything else.

As far as Conner Barwin's one good year.

J.J. Watt.. 28 tackles and 3.5 sacks
Conner Barwin.. 25 tackles and 3 sacks (already matched last year's total)

Did he only have one good year or did he just have a off year? Because he's on pace to have around double digit sacks.

Sorry, but I'm not buying the argument that the Texans don't hit on their second round picks.

That's fine, I'm not buying that they draft good players in the second round because they've only drafted one Pro Bowl player in their history of second round picks and a lot of busts, including Reed and Harris who is a complete bust who can't even beat out McCain for God's sake.

And no, I don't think Tate is good and I've always expressed my dislike for Tate and will be glad when he's gone. I just hope he doesn't drop the pen when he signs with the Browns then hurts himself picking it up.

That's fine, I'm not buying that they draft good players in the second round because they've only drafted one Pro Bowl player in their history of second round picks and a lot of busts, including Reed and Harris who is a complete bust who can't even beat out McCain for God's sake.

And no, I don't think Tate is good and I've always expressed my dislike for Tate and will be glad when he's gone. I just hope he doesn't drop the pen when he signs with the Browns then hurts himself picking it up.

So unless they get a pro bowler they're failures? ooookay.

And who the hell thinks that a RB who has a career average greater than 5 YPC isn't good? :kubepalm: There's a reason why he's going to have a opportunity to "drop the pen"... because he'd start on most other teams. Hell if Ben Tate is a bad 2nd round pick, I hope we always draft bad players in the 2nd round.

I said that they've drafted a single Pro Bowler in the second round in the history of the franchise. That doesn't mean that every player should be a Pro Bowler but 1 Pro Bowler from a draft position that's pretty important to a franchise isn't that great in my opinion. The rest of the 2nd rounders were used for Matt Schaub and the great Phillip Buchanon. Soooo, yeah, we haven't had much success where it comes to using second rounders and getting talent.

YPC doesn't mean much when you fumble in critical moments and can't be trusted by your HC to hold onto the damn ball and it also doesn't keep you out of the training room because you get hurt all the time.

I said that they've drafted a single Pro Bowler in the second round in the history of the franchise. That doesn't mean that every player should be a Pro Bowler but 1 Pro Bowler from a draft position that's pretty important to a franchise isn't that great in my opinion. The rest of the 2nd rounders were used for Matt Schaub and the great Phillip Buchanon. Soooo, yeah, we haven't had much success where it comes to using second rounders and getting talent.

YPC doesn't mean much when you fumble in critical moments and can't be trusted by your HC to hold onto the damn ball and it also doesn't keep you out of the training room because you get hurt all the time.

LOL, Ben Tate has just 7 career fumbles, let not over-exaggerate the situation.. and the same can be said for your assessment on his injury situation.. The guy has only had one significant injury in his career that caused him to miss significant time.

1 pro bowler out of 8 picks isn't bad. (you need to go pull up other team's draft history.. it's pretty much par for the course. Go pull up what the Pats have gotten from their bazillion 2nd round picks they've had over the years) Getting 6 starting caliber players isn't bad.

And Brooks Reed is not a bust, that's just more hyperbole you use to prove some misguided point. Is he a hit.. no, a bust? nope. He's a serviceable NFL player. Seth Wand, Tony Hollings, David Carr, Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye.. those are busts.

Drafting in the 2nd round you'd ideally want to get a player who is capable of starting on most NFL teams. That is, if you want to win super bowls via the model of building through the draft. On this list I see Pitts, Demeco and Tate as guys who could start on most NFL teams while they were with us. Due to Tate's injury history he may arguably be in the second tier JAG category below. We'll see when he has a starter's role on his next team.

The next tier is guys like Barwin and Reed. They are "just a guy". You can get that production from 4th rounders if that's what you're into. Enjoy your 8-8 seasons while you're at it.

Gaffney, Joppru and Brandon Harris are in the dubious "bust" category. You don't have winning football teams by drafting busts in the 2nd round.

Yeah Tony Hollings was a bust, who we got by using a 2nd round pick in the supplemental draft.

Defend Tate all you want. His fumble against the Seahawks is what changed the momentum in that game. He missed his rookie season due to injury and then in 2012 he missed 5 games due to another injury. By the way, he's lost one less fumble than Foster has in their careers. He fumbles a lot and he gets hurt a lot and I don't see how you can argue that but I know you like to argue on the Jags message boards and here so whatever.

Yeah Tony Hollings was a bust, who we got by using a 2nd round pick in the supplemental draft.

Defend Tate all you want. His fumble against the Seahawks is what changed the momentum in that game. He missed his rookie season due to injury and then in 2012 he missed 5 games due to another injury. By the way, he's lost one less fumble than Foster has in their careers. He fumbles a lot and he gets hurt a lot and I don't see how you can argue that but I know you like to argue on the Jags message boards and here so whatever.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Schaub's hand grenade to the flat is what changed momentum against the Seahawks.

And what does any of my posts on a Jags message board have to do with this thread? Are you stalking me or something? Now you just sound butt hurt.

If Tate doesn't fumble on our side of the field and instead holds onto the rock, we run a lot of clock against the Seahawks. But he also fumbled against Denver last year on their side of the field and let them back in the game then as well. So he does have a history of fumbling and usually at the most inopportune time which is why Kubes doesn't use him as much and instead runs Arian into the ground.

And no I don't stalk you dude and I'm not butt hurt, I just don't think it's worth arguing about if we're good with second round picks when we're obviously not. I even agreed that Hollings was a bust and just as an aside pointed out that we suck with 2nd rounders anyway. Didn't think it'd be a whole thing.

...and Harris who is a complete bust who can't even beat out McCain for God's sake.

A little off topic, but why hasn't he replaced McCain?

If Jjo goes out, they bring Harris in. If Kj goes out, they bring Harris in. But if McCain plays like crap...... I've got this conspiracy theory that I'm working on.

Back