Training Camp & Pre-Season...Game 1...Green Bay Packers!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JamTex, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

Agree to let the new OC call plays when it does not matter and see how ready he is, but I don't get the bitching on the play calling. Pre season is vanilla, you work a little of this and that. People critiquing play calling in the pre season when coaches just want to run plays that let them see how certain guys are doing is very different then trying to scheme and win. I would prefer a new coach too, but let's ***** about real stuff

CWTexansFan likes this.
  2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Remember Watson’s first starts compared to the offseason tailored offense starts? The more BOb tinkers with an offense, the worse it gets. The Orchestra is there, we lack the conductor.

Earl34, ATXtexanfan, ObsiWan and 6 others like this.
  3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Again... points to BO'b knowing what needs to be done. Demonstrating he can get the team to do it. But stubbornly refusing to actually do it, build a system taking advantage of what he has, minimizing the damage caused by what he doesn't have on a consistent basis.

A system if you will.

4. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

He does have a system. The game plan “per opponent” system. I can’t help but chuckle as I write this, lol.

5. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

People overhyping the preseason are the worst. I saw on the comment section of the Houston Texans Facebook post, people asking why Deshaun and the rest of the starters didn’t play, “because if they did, we would’ve won the game.” This is an organized practice. It means literally nothing. If the offense by some miracle does look different, don’t show it now. I literally have seen all the hot takes on social media by Matt Hammond and all of those other guys who shoot out 1000 hot takes a day, maybe hit one, then call themselves a genius. “Oh Andre Dillard had this one really good block against an undersized pass rusher on his 3rd team in as many years, just goes to show how bad Gaine messed up.” I mean, yeah, Dillard would’ve been amazing, but if you’re evidence to back up your claim is a couple plays in the 2nd half of the first preseason game, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

I thought Tytus played well for his first game in a relatively new position. I thought scharping did the same. They’re rookies, they have a lot to work on, and they’re raw, but we knew that. Daniel Jones had an outstanding first game for the giants, do I think it means anything? No. It’s a preseason game in a stadium with all of about 10,000 people against guys who will likely end up on Canadian Football League practice squads if they’re lucky. Dwayne Haskins had a bad start, do I think it’s time to call him a bust? No. Because the game means nothing.

Moral of the story, don’t jump the gun because the playcalling is vanilla or one of the young guys who we expect a lot from makes a bad play. The young guys will learn, the playbook will open up. We will still be extremely average, not because of talent, by any means whatsoever, but because of coaching. Hopefully that situation will likely fix itself after this season.

Side note - Get Trent Williams

6. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

OB wants to practice his red hanky toss.....

7. OptimisticTexan

I'd make a serious offer to the Redskins before the next Preseason game.

Redskins Get:
    EDGE- Clowney
    LT- Kalil
    QB- McCarron

Texans Get:
    LT- Williams
    QB- Keenum
    2020 RD3 Pick

8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Why are you throwing Kalil, McCarron/Keenum into it? OB done done that with Keenum and told him he would never be a starter in the NFL...

Clowney for Williams and a conditional 4th would be closer, but Washington nor Houston would ever go for your proposal

9. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Let's price a Clowney for William trade ? I dunno not even sure which team offers up the boot which is of course the consideration one side provides to the other as additional consideration for receiving more value in a one-for-one player trade/exchange ?

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

If both teams really wanted player A for player B both legit pro bowl proven talent. They match-up contracts with agents to make everyone happy, then swap teams. Clowney is younger, both play a coveted skill position (LT/pass rusher) and they want paid and long term security.

Texans defense would be hurt but probably not as much as offense would be improved.

CWTexansFan, justmy2cents and JB like this.

11. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

Would never include Clowney in negotiations for Trent. Clowney is just entering his prime. He’s going to be a major problem in this league. The next GM will take care of him. When Watt’s gone, it’ll be on Clowney’s shoulders alone to generate a pass rush...until we spend another premium pick on one

12. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Agreed. Texans are insane for not paying him. They better get a Khalil mack return if they trade him

13. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

NFLN will replay the Pack/Texans game at 4:00 CDT today.
    Guess I'll have to watch it this time.

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

SPOILER ALERT!

We lose.

CWTexansFan, santo, ObsiWan and 3 others like this.
  15. OptimisticTexan

I think Keenum is going to be the odd man out in Washington, unless the Redskins carry 3 QB's. McCarron is injured and just hasn't had the reps at this time. Webb shouldn't be taking snaps on any team. Keenum has a working knowledge of OB's offense and could be a QB2 in Houston just as easily as Washington.

I'm adding the extra players the Texans may not need in the event Williams and Keenum were to come to Houston in the hopes of gaining a RD3 in the next draft. I think it would be a solid pick since I'm not expecting much from the Redskins this season.

austins23 likes this.
  16. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

Watching the game again. Not just Khalil slipping. Coutee’s and Jones’ TO’s occurred because they slipped. Jones slipped again on another run. Didn’t notice that the other night except for Coutee.

TheKDog likes this.
  17. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

RT Leonard looking solid. I get it, not starters on DL but he ain’t being moved.

18. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

:bat:

thunderkyss likes this.
  19. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Soooooo many turnovers
    :toropalm:

20. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

I always thought there would come a point in this offseason where I said “wow. Ok that’s the move we were saving the cap for.” Maybe a couple big extensions, a trade, or a signing. I haven’t seen that yet, and at this point I doubt we will. So to your point, yeah it was a horrible decision to not pay the man. Whoever comes in next (hopefully from anywhere but New England) will have a tall task of making it right. Gaine didn’t leave the cupboard bare, but we’ll have a lot of cap and a decent amount of holes at premium positions that need to be filled.