Training Camp & Pre-Season...Game 1...Green Bay Packers!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JamTex, Jul 24, 2019.

1. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Roby allowed at least two catches to the same guy, no. 16, a no name, really.

thunderkyss likes this.
  2. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

At this point I don’t see how you don’t make that phone call. Tytus looked good at guard. If you accidentally drafted a starting guard, so be it. The position needed to be upgraded anyways. You add Trent Williams to the fold and the OL goes from your biggest weakness to about 1 step away from a position of strength

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I think if Bob values his job and position he should get on the phone to Washington and start serious trade discussions to bring in Trent Williams.

He was decisive and paid up for Duke Johnson. This is far more important and pressing. Would offer a 1st and players. Probably have to add another pick too but his focus must be this season or he’s gone. Be damned next GM/Coach that's their problem (if unsuccesful). The ONLY WAY this team can be successful offensively, specifically, is adding a proven starting NFL LT (elite even better). Offensive Line: LT Trent Williams, LG Tytus Howard, C Zach Fulton, RG Max Scharping, RT Seantrel Henderson would be legit and something this franchise QB, teammates, ownership and fan base deserve.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    TexansFight, mussop, KA4Texan and 5 others like this.
  4. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Pre-season with very few starter snaps, so do with it what you will, but the defensive stat sheet looks a little empty.

Zero sacks, zero QB hits, zero tackles for loss, zero passes defended.

5. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

Kalil is bad. Really bad. Scharping looked pretty good at G.

CWTexansFan, powda and Brisco_County like this.
  6. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

What a shame. Kid has so much potential but looks like he may be a hard luck job with lingering injuries.
    Duke Johnson may have to be the slot guy.
    Very durable and good hands.

7. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

TK was being sarcastic because in the past when they have reported an injury as "not serious" its put the guy down way longer than they first thought it would.

8. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Might have missed the sarcasm there my dude! TK you need them kitty cats man confuses people with all your serious takes!

on topic:

~has keke coutee returned his last kick? If it was up to me i'd say yeah. I'd prefer Deandre Carter back there, but where is Deandre Carter?
    ~Offensive line? Whooo buddy. Highs and lows, but looked good at times. Kalil is a dead man walking. if he doesnt get it together he's short for this team. Rooks looked like I would expect rooks to look honestly. Overall I only spotted a pair of flags on the line in total .. a holding on Howard and a false start with Henderson.
    ~Defense? Ouch. No pressures, no sacks, no tackles for loss. Thats how much Watt and Clowney mean to that front 7 and its concerning that nobody else is able to be disruptive.
    ~I was actually pleasantly surprised by Roby. I was watching him closely and while he did lose some battles, considering its the first game in the scheme it can get better. Im impressed with the speed.
    ~My biggest pet peeve was again the unimaginative play calling and just lackluster execution of plays in general. yes its the first game back. rust. all that. Im talking about those damn bubble screens, the same stagnant running game. im calm because again im being realistic in the 'first game back' conversation. Im hoping its just the vanilla 'dont show them your real plays' top secret green folder stuff being saved for the regular season. We shall see. These guys were even trying to run inside trap plays with that God awful line! I kid you not.
    ~Special teams didnt look that special to me. Penalties and poorly fielded ball led to points. Need to get this unit back to where it was last year, cant take a step back here.
    ~ Billy OBrien and his bad challenge streak continues! Im being facetious .. kind of.
    ~Disturbed to see Mancz and Coutee go down with injury, cant lie when I wondered why there were getting so much playing time. Hope its one of those things that doesnt linger all year.

~Wasnt expecting much and didnt get much, but the game for me at least was entertaining. FAirbairn looked good - killed that 49 yarder, would have been good from 55 easy.

9. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Really frustrated by the start/sit decisions for preseason. Warring practiced this week but didn’t play in the game. Same with Davenport. Both of which I don’t mind if staff feels confident they know what they have and player’s roster spot is secure... not sure why they’d feel that way for a rookie in an open competition at TE and OT in competition for swing tackle job but to each their own...

BUT

We then have Coutee fielding returns and playing into the 2nd quarter? One of the most important players to the offense’s success this year and a player who’s role is most assuredly secure on this team.

It doesn’t make sense.

mussop, disaacks3, Porky and 4 others like this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Tbh I would've rather kept that pick and used it in a trade for Williams. But I suppose if he can land William's anyways then great.

disaacks3 likes this.

11. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I hear ya, especially when despite naming an OC, guess who was still calling the plays, but it was a pre-season game with the emergency QB going the distance, and no starters at the skill positions. Not going to be a lot of flavor on offense.

disaacks3 and CWTexansFan like this.
  12. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Facts.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Per the guys on 610 last night JW averages like maybe 10 snaps per practice at qb.

I cant be too tough on him considering he's pretty much the "oh ****" guy.

But that said, he needs to slide and stay healthy. You cant be the last resort and be lowering your shoulder taking on contact.

disaacks3 and thunderkyss like this.
  14. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I would hate to be a WR trying to make this team with Joe Webb taking off and running every other play. Mccarron getting hurt really screwed up their evaluations on guys trying to make the roster.

Also, why is Coutee fielding returns when we have all these young guys trying to win a roster spot that can prove their value with valuable ST reps? So aggravating.

ATXtexanfan and Carr Bombed like this.
  15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Overall this was just a preseason game, and the 1st one at that. But it did nothing to change my negative view for this season.

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I saw the Texans had a lot of camp bodies that should be in semi-pro at best... but overall the starters weren't terrible, those few that actually played

17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

This is what im saying. Seems like we go thru this every year, but I mean what exactly were some in here hoping to see in the 1st preseason game....or any preseason game for that matter? No team really know what's type of team they have until around the 1st or 2nd game of the regular season.

CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  18. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I shall remain pessimistic until such time I become optimistic. Then I'll be optimistic until I become pessimistic again. And then probably have to wait until I'm optimistic again. This may sound complicated, but it's really very easy.

CWTexansFan, KA4Texan, JB and 2 others like this.
  19. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Lol Bill O'Brien already has me in "rabble, rabble, rabble!" mode.

20. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

So when is a good time for the the new OC to call the offense? Would this not have been an opportunity for BOB and Kelly to get on the same page for pacing and vision for the regular season? I hadn’t thought about this till I saw your pos, but it seems strange (however unsurprising) that BOB called plays last night. We really need better play calling, so it’s frustrating (however expected) that we got the status quo last night.

ObsiWan likes this.