Training Camp: Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by BCRich, Aug 4, 2012.

1. BCRich

BCRich Veteran

Just looking through the excellent pictures provided by bullpenPhotos, it looks like they're trying out a few different combinations.

I'm seeing Newton a lot at RT.

For you guys who have actually been there, what does it look like to you? Is Butler entrenched as the starter, or is Newton giving him a run for his money?

2. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Newton looked real good from I saw.

3. dsorc

dsorc Veteran

You need to remember that Brown has been out lately which means both Butler and Newton are getting first team snaps at the same time. From the pictures, they were getting switched around between LT and RT. Seems to me like Kubiak intends it to be in a competition and we'll have to wait til the pre-season games to see who wins.

Also, Caldwell was exchanging with Brooks on 1st team RG but with Brooks having heat issues Caldwell might win the spot by default.

4. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

talking about the oline is about has nerdy has u can get i love it ... anyway anything is a upgrade over eric winston so i could care less who the starter is on RT

and even tho it shows mad toughness that Mike brisle played most of the time with a bum leg i think u gotta know that fine line of what can help ur team or hurt u team like playing injured

5. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Brown is out with injury so Butler and Newton will both get alot of time with the straters at the same time at LT and RT respectively. As good as the reports have been about Brooks, I don't think there's any way he starts at RG over Caldwell. Kubiak just doesn't trust rookies enough. I think it's a very good thing that we seem to have some very good depth in Newton and Brooks, and would be looking for both of these guys to be starters in 2013. Hopefully they gain some playing experience during the season. The starting O-line will be:

LT-Brown
    LG-W. Smith
    C-Meyers
    RG-Caldwell
    RT-Butler

6. BCRich

BCRich Veteran

You mean other than Brown, Winston, & Spencer... Kubiak just doesn't trust rookies.

7. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

You're crazy, there's a reason Winston got picked up right away for 5 million a year.

8. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Anything on Ben Jones

9. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

He is getting plenty of work as Myers back-up.

[​IMG]

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I agree that Brooks won't likely start on opening day. But, Caldwell has had injury issues and rotated with Brisiel in the past. I would be surprised if Brooks didn't get a fair number of snaps over the course of the season.

The Texans official site's depth chart has not been updated (what's new?). Can anyone provide a depth chart based upon what they've seen at practice?

11. Rey

Rey Guest

I wouldn't be surprised if Brooks earns a starting job in pre season when the games begin.

His greatest attribute is his physicality and ability to move/punish people.

You can't fully display that in any form of practice.

I think if he has a basic understanding of the plays he'll be able to showcase himself.

If he gets out there and is visibly out physical-ing the guys on defense it's going to be hard to keep that out of the line up.

12. Rey

Rey Guest

On the fb spot;

I think the decision is going to be tougher than some might imagine.

I think this is another spot that will need to be decided in actual games. Might be a little difficult to let go of a good, athletic young fb with pop.

Kubiak said they are only keeping one fb so I'm also wondering if they go with only 4 total fb/te's. OD, Casey, Grahm, and a fb. I've advocated for this as I think it's efficient and productive barring the group stays relatively healthy.

I think it would open up the door for us to keep an extra wr and/or rb.

I'm a Jonathan grimes fan so I wouldn't mind him making the team. And I also like trindon a lot.

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Ourlads depth charts seem to consistently keep the most updated site for such info (last updated 08/04/12).

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Damn, there's a lot of talent on this team.

There are some good players going to be cut by us this year.

15. dsorc

dsorc Veteran

Based on TexansBullpen photos, this is what I have for first and second string:

LT: D. Brown / A. Gardner
    LG: W. Smith / S. Smith
    OC: C. Myers / B. Jones
    RG: A. Caldwell / B. Brooks
    RT: R. Butler / D. Newton
    WR: A. Johnson/ K. Walter / K. Martin / L. Jean / D. Posey (the last three are getting rotated all over the place. Put Martin first because he looks to be the most likely to get slot WR duty)
    TE : O. Daniels / J. Casey / G. Graham
    FB : D. Smith / M. Norris (have to imagine Casey is the true frist string but has seen little time at FB so far)
    RB : A. Foster / B. Tate / J. Forsett
    QB: M. Schaub / T.Yates

LDE: J. Watt / T. Jamison
    NT: S. Cody / E. Mitchell
    RDE: A. Smith / J. Crick
    SOLB: B. Reed / B. Braman
    SILB: B. James / T. Dobbins
    WILB: B. Cushing / M. Alexander
    WOLB: C. Barwin / W. Mercilus
    CB: J. Joseph / K. Jackson / B. McCain / A. Ball / S. McManis /B. Harris (Hard to evaluate off of pictures. Note that since Kareem was out McCain was being used outside. I believe McManis did 1st string nickle while Harris was 2nd string nickle. Much to my dismay, Ball was working consistently with the 2nd string.)
    LS: D. Manning / T. Nolan
    RS: G. Quin / Q. Demps (For the safeties, they seemed to be on a specific side no matter the offensive formation.)

The Pencil Neck likes this.
  16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Um, Studdard running 2nd team guard (ahead of Shelley Smith)? Not good for Smith.

Also Keo ahead of Demps at SS? I know that the returners can't be right (aren't Holliday and Martin in the lead?).

17. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

I'd bet a wooden nickel Smith ain't making this team. Norris was clearly the better blocker (Smith had nice soft hands but he was on the ground quite a few plays the other day).

18. Rey

Rey Guest

If I'm not mistaken Smith has been running with the ones quite a bit if not almost exclusively.

You don't spend that much time with the first team with no shot at making the roster.

When the games start if smith is making his blocks and still showing that good burst and athleticism from that fb spot I think you might have to find that wooden nickle.

19. GP

GP Go Texans!

Preach it.

I wanna see Brooks steamrolling defenders. I think the only O-lineman we drafted this year, who doesn't make the 53, is Mondek. And he'll go to the PS.

20. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

You are mistaken, Norris was taking first team reps the other day.