Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Training camp 2013

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Not doubting Doc at all, but I'm not seeing any report of a high ankle sprain. I mean is this official, or thru the grapevine or what? If it is a HAS, then I'm not so sure we shouldn't just IR Montgomery. Our 3rd picks are turning out to be crap - at least this year. You at least figure 3rd rounders will be good depth in their first yr and/or maybe good ST guys. Looks like they are zero's at this point.

The plus side is I'm really liking all of the others top to bottom, and I think we may have multiple gems in the 6th rd.
Trevardo might not turn into a great LB but he should be good on ST.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Some early camp chatter about the lanky 6'5" 233 lb. Willie Jefferson...

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/brownsvilleherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/e0/ee02f3aa-f6b3-11e2-91cc-0019bb30f31a/51f3b606b2724.image.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2013/07/z-25-willie-jefferson-duane-brown.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/brownsvilleherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/bb/ebb74718-f6b3-11e2-ab62-0019bb30f31a/51f3b602d6cb5.image.jpg[/IMG]

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Not doubting Doc at all, but I'm not seeing any report of a high ankle sprain. I mean is this official, or thru the grapevine or what? If it is a HAS, then I'm not so sure we shouldn't just IR Montgomery. Our 3rd picks are turning out to be crap - at least this year. You at least figure 3rd rounders will be good depth in their first yr and/or maybe good ST guys. Looks like they are zero's at this point.

The plus side is I'm really liking all of the others top to bottom, and I think we may have multiple gems in the 6th rd.
Through...............until now.
Just released:

Sports
Camp Confidential: Monday (7-29)
WILL GRUBB / PAUL GALLANT, Sports Radio 610
July 29, 2013 12:13 PM

Houston (CBS Houston) – Editor’s Note: Camp Confidential will feature daily news and notes throughout Texans training camp. Make sure to check back for updates following the afternoon practice.

The Texans wrapped up a busy morning session at Methodist Training Complex. Here is everything you need to know:

>>>Former Broncos inside linebacker Joe Mays is in Houston for a tryout. If all goes well the Texans have strong interest in signing the 28-year-old.

“He’s out there… he’s free… and we’ve got some things going on with our team that we think he might be interested in.” said Kubiak.

>>> Daryl Sharpton received an injection in his groin yesterday. He expects to be back in a couple of days.

>>>Wade Smith returned to practice after missing both Sunday sessions with an illness.

>>>DeAndre Hopkins continues to impress making a couple nice catches this morning. It’s hard to understate his role in the offense.

“He’s getting a ton of reps, a ton of opportunities in both the run and the pass.” said Matt Schaub. “We’re going to get him the football and we’re going to give him a chance to make plays with it in his hands… and he’s going to do that.”

>>>OLB Whitney Mercilus tweaked his hamstring but it didn’t appear to be serious. If Mercilus misses a practice or two it could potentially be a big opportunity for young linebackers Trevardo Williams, Sam Montgomery, and Willie Jefferson . Williams struggled to get off blocks when rushing the passer this morning and Montgomery is still sidelined with a high-ankle sprain.

>>>Speaking of Willie Jefferson, he’s had a near perfect camp so far… even stealing some first team reps . At 6’5, 233 his size clearly stands out and his outside quickness is impressive.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Bennie Sharpton needs to be on a slow boat to the Rev Al's palatial estate. Maybe his Uncle will help him join the family business - organized crime...er I mean community organizing.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2013/07/z-25-willie-jefferson-duane-brown.jpg[/IMG]
He looks "thicker" than 6'5" 233lbs..... that's good. Definitely not as lanky as those numbers would indicate.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
--houstontexans.com
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10666--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10543--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10661--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10697--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10747--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10736--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
--houstontexans.com
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10427--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10537--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10399--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10620--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10462--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10396--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com

Rey

Are those practice pants new? I never really noticed them before, but for practice uniforms those are nice...

76Texan

Hall of Fame
TexansChick reports that this report is wrong, that no one characterized it as a high ankle sprain.... just ankle sprain.
We'll just have to wait and see.
Kubiak agreed that it was an ankle sprain, but indicate that he could be back in a few days. I think I'd read that as "many days", but hopefully, not "many weeks".

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
With Mays signed by the Texans, I guess they can thank yet another Sharpton injury for helping them actually upgrade their defense.
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
"It was eye opening going against Duane Brown ..." Willie Jefferson says about getting snaps w/1s today. #Texans

"Probably the toughest thing this go around is he went through the offseason with no problem at all" Kubiak on Sharpton. #Texans

Kubiak indicated having Cushing on the field fully would have made ILB depth a different story. #Texans

Kubiak has quick powwow with Rick Smith before talking. First question is about signing Joe Mays, Kubiak says they're working on it. #Texans

Heading into special teams practice. Will be a quick one, only about 30 minutes. #Texans

RT @McClain_on_NFL: Texans signed ILB Joe Mays
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Orhian Johnson, a 6'3" Safety (Ohio State) has been moved off of the Active/Non-Football Injury List and onto the active roster for

"Boy has he been a nice find. He’s doing a lot. He’s playing left guard, left tackle & everywhere.” Kubiak on OL David Quessenberry. #Texans

Kubiak said that Mercilus has a slight hamstring strain. #texanstalk #texans

Joe Mayes should be slotted behind Tim Dobbins on the depth chart at MLB. #texans
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
"I can honestly say they have higher standards here and they’re gonna hold everyone to it." -- Greg Jones on #Texans

Willie Jefferson has a large group of media folk around him. Said he looked up wide receivers growing up. That's what he played.

“He really doesn’t say too much to me, but he gives me that look sometimes when I do something wrong." Hopkins on Andre Johnson #TexansTalk

DeAndre Hopkins said he's been assigned to carry Andre Johnson's pads and has been carrying them off the field. #TexansTalk
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Jefferson is 6-5 and 233 lbs. Pass rush can be there, but don't think NFL teams would not be lining up to run at the 233 lbs. OLB.

Not knocking what Willie Jefferson is doing, but temper expectations. Still think his best bet in on the psqaud. #Texans

Last edited:

michaelm

vox nihili

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/brownsvilleherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/e0/ee02f3aa-f6b3-11e2-91cc-0019bb30f31a/51f3b606b2724.image.jpg[/IMG]
His build is similar to Jason Taylor who was listed as 6'6" and 244lbs. Taylor was very productive from OLB at that size.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Where is Quess getting reps?

I have a huge concern if we lose OD or GG to injury, so good to hear about Griffin.
All over the line.

Sort of like they are seeing what he does best. But also filling in spots of little depth. If he can be a swing guy, that would be handy.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Joe Mayes should be slotted behind Tim Dobbins on the depth chart at MLB. #texans
I hope that's just to start out, maybe to not disrespect the current guys or something. Mays is a better ILB than Dobbins, flat out.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Contacted the author of the "high ankle sprain" article.

That is a mistake. The 610 on air personality was relying on a report he got from someone else which was wrong.

All that the team has said publicly is "ankle sprain" and "walking boot" and a few days.

I'm thinking the person originally passing on this information did not realize that the terms "ankle sprain" and "high ankle sprain" can mean very different things.

I did not hear anything serious. I saw Montgomery walk on it right after it happened. And then he played some more later that practice. FWIW.

Wolf6151

All Pro
Joe Mays worked out after morning practice and was signed. Texans need ILB depth.
12:00pm - 29 Jul 13
I know he plays the run well and blitz's the QB well, but does anyone know if Mays is any good in pass coverage of RB's and TE's? Is he strictly a 2 down ILB or can he be a 3 down ILB? What's he bring to the table that Dobbins doesn't?

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Willie Jefferson is the candidate for the guy Kubiak is using to push everybody else.

Looks good in drills. Makes some plays on defense.

Hard to make a comparison to anyone because he looks more like a basketball player.

Kubiak this morning: “Willie’s gone from fifth-team to first-team in about a month-and-a-half. So Willie’s come a long way. I just told the team what an opportunity for him. He’s got the length. He’s got the ability. He’s got two coaches that do wonders with linebackers, so we’ll see what happens.”

He was asked specifically about Willie. Kubiak declined to pick out any other young players when asked to spotlight a few.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
I know he plays the run well and blitz's the QB well, but does anyone know if Mays is any good in pass coverage of RB's and TE's? Is he strictly a 2 down ILB or can he be a 3 down ILB? What's he bring to the table that Dobbins doesn't?
Broncos and Eagles fans say he is a liability in pass coverage. Hell of a thumper against the run and blitzing though.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Contacted the author of the "high ankle sprain" article.

That is a mistake. The 610 on air personality was relying on a report he got from someone else which was wrong.

All that the team has said publicly is "ankle sprain" and "walking boot" and a few days.

I'm thinking the person originally passing on this information did not realize that the terms "ankle sprain" and "high ankle sprain" can mean very different things.

I did not hear anything serious. I saw Montgomery walk on it right after it happened. And then he played some more later that practice. FWIW.
Thanks, Steph.

Strictly 2 down LB.

Wolf6151

All Pro
Broncos and Eagles fans say he is a liability in pass coverage. Hell of a thumper against the run and blitzing though.
That's what I was afraid of. I know we need some added depth at ILB but I don't see Mays bringing anything to the team that Dobbins doesn't already provide.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Strictly 2 down LB.
What down was that when Schaub met Mr. Mays up close and personal?

If he can blitz (which is obvious), he could possibly be in on some 3rd down packages here and there, although I would think the bulk of those duties would go to Cushing.

Rey

That's what I was afraid of. I know we need some added depth at ILB but I don't see Mays bringing anything to the team that Dobbins doesn't already provide.
I'm not sure if that is a complaint or not, but is having two dobbins as depth a bad thing?

That said, I do think he's a bit more athletic than Dobbins is.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure if that is a complaint or not, but is having two dobbins as depth a bad thing?

That said, I do think he's a bit more athletic than Dobbins is.
I think he's a significant upgrade over Dobbins and Sharpton.

And in obvious passing situations, he'll come off the field and Swearinger or Manning will move up to that spot to provide coverage.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
Willie Jefferson is the candidate for the guy Kubiak is using to push everybody else.

Looks good in drills. Makes some plays on defense.

Hard to make a comparison to anyone because he looks more like a basketball player.

Kubiak this morning: “Willie’s gone from fifth-team to first-team in about a month-and-a-half. So Willie’s come a long way. I just told the team what an opportunity for him. He’s got the length. He’s got the ability. He’s got two coaches that do wonders with linebackers, so we’ll see what happens.”

He was asked specifically about Willie. Kubiak declined to pick out any other young players when asked to spotlight a few.
Willie was a two sport star out of Beaumont Ozen . I watched him play my son's senior year in a scrimmage . :photos:

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
More clarification from Twitter on Sam Montgomery ankle report.

At camp, you don't get all the audio/transcripts because interviews being held all over the place all at the same time.

Sam told someone directly at SR610 that "...just got a mild high ankle sprain, not really that serious..."

So either 1. Yes, he has a high ankle sprain 2. He may be mistaken about it being a high ankle sprain. /Dr Sam.

It being a high ankle sprain would not be incompatible with Kubiak saying ankle sprain.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer

And in obvious passing situations, he'll come off the field and Swearinger or Manning will move up to that spot to provide coverage.
What I think is good is that they signed him now. And didn't wait for camp to play out.

Hard when they sign guys late in camp to have them compete right away.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
What I think is good is that they signed him now. And didn't wait for camp to play out.

Hard when they sign guys late in camp to have them compete right away.
This is the sort of move that I was hoping would happen right after the draft when we knew we weren't going to be getting some young stud to fit in there beside Cush. I expected us to sign SOMEONE besides Dobbins to provide some competition for that spot prior to training camp and I was just afraid we were going to end up with Bradie James and Barrett Ruud again.

gary

Hall of Fame
Great time at Houston Texan's practice. 5 minutes on field one so we could see and 45 minutes on field 2 so we could not see. Jeff Maehl with a nice one handed catch and Hopkins looked sharp too.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Great time at Houston Texan's practice. 5 minutes on field one so we could see and 45 minutes on field 2 so we could not see. Jeff Maehl with a nice one handed catch and Hopkins looked sharp too.
Dang it, Gary. Sorry I missed you.

I spent most of my time between fields 2 and 3 to watch Sharpton/Reed do rehab stuff, see how they were moving.

Maehl could be a sneaky guy to make the roster. Nice hands, knows playbook.

I'm not sure that Hopkins/Schaub are dialed in quite yet, but love watching him do work.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What down was that when Schaub met Mr. Mays up close and personal?

If he can blitz (which is obvious), he could possibly be in on some 3rd down packages here and there, although I would think the bulk of those duties would go to Cushing.
Well, Wade doesn't use Sharpton or Dobbins to rush the QB & that may be for good reason. With Mays next to Cushing, maybe he'll mix it up, sending Cushing some times, then sending Mays sometimes.

That would allow Cushing to sneak back into a zone, which none of our other LBs do worth a damn.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Everything I've read on Maya says he's a great blitzer, brings the hammer but doesn't wrap up. Looks for the kill shot too much.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
This is the sort of move that I was hoping would happen right after the draft when we knew we weren't going to be getting some young stud to fit in there beside Cush. I expected us to sign SOMEONE besides Dobbins to provide some competition for that spot prior to training camp and I was just afraid we were going to end up with Bradie James and Barrett Ruud again.
Not sure that there were any ideal guys out there. Interesting that Mays became available when he did. The Broncos did him a favor.

PFF has some interesting numbers on him. Last year, had numbers about the same as Bradie James but far fewer games to look at because of his season ending injury--so could be a little skewed. (Tied for 30th ILB).

His 2011 PFF numbers were better. For a whole season, he had a positive score, 17th overall.

Young player.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

I read that Mays lost his starting gig after a bad game against the Pats, so ... feel free to fill in the blanks. :)

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I read that Mays lost his starting gig after a bad game against the Pats, so ... feel free to fill in the blanks. :)
That was an awfully strange game. The Pats won that game 32 - 21. Brady had the highest pass completion percentage of any game last year........ 23 of 31 for ~75%..........with the lowest total yards for a game 223.

The Forehead, on the other hand, completed 31 or 44 for 70%........with total passing yards of 337.