Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trading up with David Carr

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
There was an article this morning in the Atlanta-Journal Constitution that said the Texans may have a deal in place with Cleveland to trade their first and David Carr to Cleveland for the #3 overall, in order to draft Peterson.

Interesting...

I think it's very possible to trade up using David Carr as the "bait".

Say for instance we want to move up and get somebody elses 5 or 6 we got it made. We throw in David Carr and they'll be happy to swap one of those.

On the first day picks however I'm pretty sure the rest of the NFL is going to look at David Carr like Kryptonite.

I would prefer to see the Texans use Carr as bait in trading down from #8. hold on now, this might be just inticing enough to pick up two picks (2nd & 3rd) the Texans have so many needs :shades:

There was an article this morning in the Atlanta-Journal Constitution that said the Texans may have a deal in place with Cleveland to trade their first and David Carr to Cleveland for the #3 overall, in order to draft Peterson.

Interesting...

That would be great! I'd do that in a New York minute!:marionaner:

Interesting...

This would be a great move!! Peterson would be an awesome add. to this team. We can than draft Kolb in the 3rd. and let him learn the system while Rosenfels leads the team for the next yr or so.

I've been a fan of Adrian's since his days of playing high school ball in Palestine, TX. But I'm not convinced that he's worth a possible 3rd round pick (in trading Carr...which is what I've read we could get for Carr) over someone like Lynch. Sure...I liked Peterson's combine numbers, too....but I hate his injury history.
Just saying, with as many holes as we have to fill, I'm just unsure trading UP to get 1 player is a great idea.:stirpot:

I guess time will tell.

Interesting...

Sounds like we're getting a good deal. It's like getting a 1st round pick for David(800pts= the 21st pick in the first round).

I'm not seeing that kind of value in David... but if Cleveland does.... sweet.

Well this is one thing that I completely agree with John McClain on . . .

Kubiak and Smith will NOT trade up, under any circumstances. They want draft picks. If they trade Carr, it will be for additional picks. If they can trade down for additional picks, they will do that that.

But trade up? FUHGEDABOUTIT!!!!!

I would only consider the trade up if Joe Thomas is available. If he's not then we gotta take Okoye/Landry or use Carr as bait to trade back and pick up a Levi Brown/Reggie Nelson/Marshawn Lynch later in the first.

I don't know if I could believe we'd trade DC and swap firsts with Cleveland to get Peterson; I just can't see Kubiak doing that. This really seems like hype to me, seeing as we passed on Bush last year, everyone is trying to justify their mock drafts were wrong by saying "see, they're making an effort to not screw up this year".

I have a feeling that if we trade up, it's for someone else. Say CJ or a QB.

Just my thoughts.

Interesting...

Oh this can't be true. Because every so-called expert on the board insists that Carr has no trade value and should have been cut by now.

:shades:

Because every so-called expert on the board insists that Carr has no trade value and should have been cut by now.
I think it would be better for Carr to be released, and let him make his own deal as a free agent. He could have been dealt by now, if it weren't for his existing contract.

I don't know if I could believe we'd trade DC and swap firsts with Cleveland to get Peterson; I just can't see Kubiak doing that. This really seems like hype to me, seeing as we passed on Bush last year, everyone is trying to justify their mock drafts were wrong by saying "see, they're making an effort to not screw up this year".

I have a feeling that if we trade up, it's for someone else. Say CJ or a QB.

Just my thoughts.

Peterson is the kind of running back you take in the top 5... he's #1 overall, if it weren't for his durability issues.

Reggie Bush has not done any of the things that a top 5 candidate(as a running back) has to do. People were trying to get us to draft him #1 overall, because he might help us in the Kick Return game..... That's just stupid, and poor risk management of a high draft pick.

Whether we do it, or someone else trades up to get Reggie Bush, to me, it will say more about Reggie than it will about the Texans.

Peterson is the kind of running back you take in the top 5... he's #1 overall, if it weren't for his durability issues.

Reggie Bush has not done any of the things that a top 5 candidate(as a running back) has to do. People were trying to get us to draft him #1 overall, because he might help us in the Kick Return game..... That's just stupid, and poor risk management of a high draft pick.

Whether we do it, or someone else trades up to get Reggie Bush, to me, it will say more about Reggie than it will about the Texans.

Do you mean AP in that last sentece? My reasoning, though, was that I didn't think we'd do it because Kubiak doesn't have a history of taking them in the 1st to begin with...much less going out of his way to trade up and take one. By no means am I saying he's not worth it, I just don't think it would be a trade up for him imparticular.

On the first day picks however I'm pretty sure the rest of the NFL is going to look at David Carr like Kryptonite.

The dark side is strong in you. Filled with hate you are.

Loverz know that an elite Hall of Fame talent has been brought down by a sorry team. If only 31 other NFL teams weren't such haters, too, we could really make a deal.

:bubble:

The rumors have been flying about trading with Cleveland to get AP.

This one atleast should work to get him and a QB...then a FA or Sage start this year.

Oh this can't be true. Because every so-called expert on the board insists that Carr has no trade value and should have been cut by now.

:shades:

Yep, you are right. Teams are beating our door down trying to get Carr. The phone is ringing off the wall, it’s one offer after the other, each better than the last. I hear a full blown bidding war has broken out.

Or maybe, just maybe this is more accurate:

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
“Since that time, though, the calls have quieted down. Smith said Carr could be had if the right trade came up, but the market for Carr hasn't developed.”

Yep, you are right. Teams are beating our door down trying to get Carr. The phone is ringing off the wall, it’s one offer after the other, each better than the last. I hear a full blown bidding war has broken out.

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
“Since that time, though, the calls have quieted down. Smith said Carr could be had if the right trade came up, but the market for Carr hasn't developed.”

Maybe not.

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Hopefully when he said if the right trade came up he meant anything..

"If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? Five?
No, calling a tail a leg don't make it a leg."

~ Abraham Lincoln

Perception is reality.

And the reality is that the viable veteran alternatives to Carr are evaporating by the day.

:highfive:

I hope we don't trade up with Cleveland, we would have to give up too much stuff and that we cannot afford to do. Not only would we be paying him THAT much more $, we'd also have to give up picks..which we need. carr and our 8 straight wont happen but would be interesting...i'd rather go CJ or JT if we trade up.

I think from Clevelands standpoint, trading down would be a smart move. I think if they do they should get a stud DT/NT like Alan Branch which would really help them a lot. He'd be a strong foundation for CLE defense. 3 is prob. too high for him though. then they should hope Kalil is there for them in the 2nd rd. That would be the best draft for the Browns imo. Branch, Kalil and then they'd prob. have Carr and another day 1 pick...and maybe another next year. just think if we had to give them our 2nd rd pick too...they could take Michael Bush maybe....i'd think Cleveland GM would be GM of the year and best draft of the year too.

first of all, if this could happen. there shouldn't be ANY second guesses. this would be like getting a 2nd rounder for DC (based on the points thing) which no one has come even close to FA-wise. With the 3 pick, we could get AP, maybe Joe Thomas, or his greatness CJ. :drool:

BUT, this cant be true. I heard someone ask this on 790 and Palilo brought up a good point. Why would clevland trade for a guy thats about the same as the guy they've got and whose never played outside a dome, in the north. Its been nice sunny skies for Carr is entire football carrer. Charlie said if it was true, good. but it sounded more like water-cooler gossip to him.

That would be great! I'd do that in a New York minute!:marionaner:

I don't know if any of you remember the initial game plan for this franchise but as I remember it was to draft a francise QB, WR and RB in the first 3 drafts. We got 1 & 2 done but faltered on #3 for some reason. Maybe DW seemed the answer at the time.

I could very easily see this happening.

I don't really agree with it but I can see it.

I don't know if any of you remember the initial game plan for this franchise but as I remember it was to draft a francise QB, WR and RB in the first 3 drafts. We got 1 & 2 done but faltered on #3 for some reason. Maybe DW seemed the answer at the time.

I could very easily see this happening.

I don't really agree with it but I can see it.

I think we could very well find that franchise RB at #8 w/ Marshawn Lynch...all depending on what this FA period brings, of course.

Marshawn
Staley/Ugoh
Satele

Just a thought.

Back